NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Advice Needed

JoeValentine

Hi im new to this forum, I have a 2-3 year old african grey that ive had since it was weeks old. I love this bird but he is such a pain in the ass. It seems like he has multiple personality disorder. One second he will be super nice, giving kisses and putting his head down lifting his head feathers for a rub, then 2 seconds after he will bite my finger. At night he is so nice but during the day hes a lunatic. I have the bird in my room, and during the day he screams at the top of his lungs as if he was getting attacked if i dont give him 100% attention, ill put my finger in his cage and hell put his head down again expecting me to rub his head. The only way he stops the screaming is if i leave my room or cover his cage. He can fly, and i'm honestly scared one day hes going to fly to me and pierce my ears or lips, I also dont want to cut his wings because he cracked his breast-plate when he was about a year old when his wings were clipped. Any advice would be  appreciated also, has anyone experienced such bipolarity from their grey? ps I let the bird sleep outside of his cage at night , and try to let him out during the day if hes calm.

• Like 2

First welcome aboard. Now tell us how this bird came to your house hold and how long he has been with you. Do you know the birds age? It sounds a bit like this bird needs a slower approach and more time to relax and observe the household. That bite may be due to over-stimulation or it may be a way of letting you know he or she is not ready to be touched right then they don't have many ways to let us know. Is this bird in a room where it is included in any activities? They are social and would be a flock member in the wild, now you are his flock so needs to join in even if is just watching the goings on. Talk to him often, sing to him if you like he won't be a critic. Tell him what you intend to do -change the water, vacuum the floor chop veggies for him it helps develop a relationship. These birds are a prey animal rather than a predator so they can be defensive especially when we move rapidly or from above them. Hop0e this gives you a begining to work from. Some of our other members will add to this advice.

• Like 2

Since you have had him since he was a baby, is it possible he's going through the "terrible twos?" I have no experience with birds that age but I've seen it mentioned here. As to the gentler bird in the evening, I think that is universal. I haven't seen a bird who is not more receptive close to bedtime so that is normal. Hopefully someone who has survived the terrible twos will chime in.

• Like 1

It does sound like you are dealing with the terrible twos.  Reading your post it also sounds like you are his only companion?   And you are together most of the time?

For one, they do have their screamy screamy times.   Ours are usually in the morning just after their breakfast and also in the late afternoons.   Sometimes they can go for what seems like an hour.  If you've been reacting to this by providing attention, he's probably learned very well how to get your attention, especially if you're his only company.  I always recommend ear plugs to those who have issues dealing with the noise.   It helped me bring the sanity back on board and they can scream their damn heads off if they want.  I have to sleep with ear plugs so I always have a set handy somewhere.

Also, I work from home for now.   I HAVE to boot them out into their aviary as I can't get a dang thing done when they are in here AND fidgety.  My females Grey gets into everything, non-stop, unless she just feels like preening her pretty self (please please).  I try to keep my birds in pairs or trios so they always have company besides ME.  I can only take them in large doses, not 24/7 haahaa.

• Like 3