NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Favouritism

Sofabed

Hi,

We have had our parrot for 3 weeks now (he is 15 weeks old) and he has very quickly grown very attached to my dad. I am 16 and I live with my 2 older sisters and my mum and dad. We thought when we got our parrot that he would not like my dad because he is the only male in the house but he absolutely loves him. When dad gets in from work he starts to do a special whistle that he only does when he hears him and he goes all submisive, crouching down and tilting his head back. He never bites dad, but he does with the rest of us. We really don't know what to do - should dad ignore him for a while until he gets to love us as well or can anyone give us any other advice as we really want him to love us all.

Thanks for your help

He seems to have chosen your father for his favorite and there is not much you can do about that. I would not have him ignore him but cut back on the amount of time he spends with him and you and the rest of your family do all of the tending to him, feeding, cleaning the cage and such. He may never change his favorite but he will come to love you all maybe not in the same way. He may have a different relationship with each and every one of you, thats just the way they are.

As Judy said, there is not anything you can do to change who the favorite is. Just keep spending time with your Grey and loving him as he is. With that many people around, he is definitely bring well socialized to get along well with everyone it sounds like.