NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

And the winner is . . .

Acappella

Not the human!! :unsure: (this is a long post. please bear with me)

I entered into a battle of wills last night with Dorian and lost big time. He was so cage bound when he got here I took to leaving the door open for a couple hours a day and he started coming out for 'walks', climbing the exterior walls and roof of the cage. He's always gone inside for his favourite treat, a shelled almond, with no problem. I've been careful not to leave right after I close the cage door so that he doesn't figure out an 'almond+cage=mom leaving' link, plus I always put a favourite toy and a foraging toy in when I'm gone.

Well last night a couple of hours before I was planning to put him to bed I decided it was time he went back inside, and he didn't agree. I tried every bribe and toy he has and he wouldn't budge. Since he still will not let me hold him at all and has never stepped up onto a hand or a stick, after a couple hours of bribes I tried to very gently separate him from the bars, which also didn't work. By 1:00 am I had to go to bed, but I was so worried I even had a nightmare about him hurting himself and me not hearing him from my room.

To make things worse, he is sooooo very pleased with himself this morning, playing and talking his little head off, that I'm sure we'll have a repeat performance tonight. I'm desparate to stop this before it becomes habit. I need to be able to cage him for his own safety, and he used to love his cage so much I never saw this problem coming. Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Both of my Greys do this, and usually they will step up for me, if not then I get the stick, if that doesn't work then a treat. I personally won't let any of my birds sleep outside the cage since they're all in one room and I don't want anytoes bitten off in the middle of the night. My CAGs know I'm serious when I go get a chair they come running to the edge of the cage cause they know they're gonna get a time out if I have to use the chair to get up and grab them. You need to show your bird that YOU are the flock leader!!!!

Darn right he pleased with himself, because he has now crowned himself flock leader and you've let him, and this will continue until you make it stop. You have to literally grab him, and I know it sounds bad but I've pried their little feet off the bars, nicely of course, but I grab them and put my hand underneath them and tell them step up very sternly so they know I mean business. If your bird doesn't understand what step up means, then you have to show him/her by putting your hand underneath them and saying it.

Greys are one of those birds that will walk on you like a rug if you don't set up rules, I've learned that and very quickly in my house! Good luck!

Hi Acapella, it's great to hear from you again. :-)

I had to go back and re-read your introduction and posts regarding Dorian to refresh my memory and times/dates.

Since he has lived the life he has for 5 years before you rescued him from the Pet Store and has only been home with you for approximately 30 days now, it is going to require much patience, love and understanding.

I agree, leaving him outside the cage unsupervised is terribly dangerous for him. It is going to take much more work in trying to teach him to step up and to go to bed when you say it's time.

His Cage is still his one and only place of safety and probably will remain so for a while longer. There has to be a way to get him back in the Cage if coaxing with his favorite snack is now not working.

If he remains outside of the cage for hours, what is he doing for food and water? If you have food available on the cage top, take it down so he must return inside the cage for food and water.

If all else fails, you may need to towel him, which I know is traumatic, but you cannot risk letting him stay out unsupervised.

I am positive others will have more Ideas and comments also and hope they can come up with several more things you can try.

Please don't be such a stranger, you are not alone in your endeavor to help this poor soul learn what true love and companionship is.

Ask away for help any time you need it. There are people from all over the world logged in 24/7 at various times. :-)

Best wishes!!

Thank you dan. (I've even forgiven you for your enjoyment of my poop question:P )

I don't want him to feel that the cage is a punishment, or to get even more fearful of me holding him, which is why I hesitated to towel him or to force him (gently) to let go of the bars. Does anyone know a good book/video on dealing with recue birds, since that's essentially what Dorian is.

Both my my Greys were rescued and I'm not sure how many others on here were, but I know what I did with my Greys has helped them tremendously in taming them. That is how I've dealt with them, as both of them were untame, and didn't understand the concept of stepping up.

I would recommend going into a dimly lit room, sitting on the floor, and practicing the stepping up command. Also bring a stick with you and teach them how to step up on a stick in the event it's ever needed. If you sit in the dimly lit room they won't be able to see as much and get spooked as easliy by you. Just remember to praise and reward them everytime they step up. I would try to do this if possible at least 2-3 times a day.

DO NOT worry about being bit I promise you that Dorian WILL bite eventually. But she will only get nippier with you if she thinks she has the upper hand. One of my Greys was caged bound 10 years, and had no idea what step up meant and was terrified of hands. She now steps up everytime, and loves to be around me, but it's because I was stern and she knows I'm the flock leader and it doesn't matter if she bites or not I'm still gonna be the boss LOL

And if you have any other questions, you can always feel free to message me privately:woohoo:<br><br>Post edited by: loviechick, at: 2007/11/20 19:34

Guest briansmum

you do need to work on stepping up, good tips from lovie. but they are right, don't leave your bird out over night, if need be towel him and gently "peel" his feet from the bars. even though brian steps up and always has done we've had a couple of times when he was "up late" and just did not want to go to bed and i had to man.. or rather birdhandle him in there. dont worry if you need to resort to this, it might seem cruel but it is a safer option than leaving dorian out all night.

lovie makes an excellent point about always being flock leader, the bites HURT but if you wanna be incharge you gotta grin and bear it. you will have a nicer relationship with your bird when it knows you are in charge.

One technique to try is to trick him into getting in the cage (using treats, toys,....) and then sometimes let him back out as soon as you get him in, sometimes don't even shut the cage after you get him in, and sometimes shut the door for the evening. That way he doesn't associate being closed up for a long time when he gets in. But the long term solution is to train him to "Step Up". Mastering the "Step up" is very important. It takes a lot of work to master it but once it is learned, it becomes second nature to them. It almost becomes a reflex. Have you considered clicker training?