NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Feather condition

proddytheparrot

Hi all ive had my african grey for almost 15 years now but i got him when he was 1 year old most recently i have noticed he is picking at one side of his wing but he has never done this before ? 

He gets bathed with water out spray bottle sometimes with some aloe vera juice every few days for as long as ive had him and is on a very good diet etc so this is very out of the blue really. 

Im a first time poster so will try upload a pic  and any help/info would really apprecite it 

thanks 

EAC5D1FF-B987-43B3-B8DE-9FBCD971FE5A.jpeg

8C43B32E-0B7E-40F8-A6E2-FDABA5BFBB2F.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Greetings, if I may, has you home been warmer or dryer his season? You might wish to spray your baby 2 to 3 times a week with the Aloe Vera juice, you an also make a mild solution of Chamomile tea and spray your fid. The spray isn't absorbed by the feathers but by the skin. 

You can also try limit fruit to 3 small pieces a week and feed a almond or two a day. Greys don't absorb calcium by food very well so you might want to try real sun light and or a sun lamp.You can also increase the green leafy veggies and feed a washed hard boiled egg, just cut in half shell and all, a half every other day.

Finely a good food for calcium etc is to boil some chicken drum sticks and let your fid eat them, please leave some meat on them lol...You'll be left fix-ins for chicken soup for you.....

• Like 3

The first thing I would do is schedule an avian vet visit for sometimes when a bird starts plucking it means something is amiss, there could be an infection or inflammation in that area. Then if everything checks out ok then look to see what if anything has changed in his environment, it could be something so slight for greys do not like change. Whatever you do don't let it bother you or allow him to see you upset about the plucking for they pick up on our emotions.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

😊Thank you Judy, Your 100% right😊 Judy's made a real good point......:):)My respect runs deep for you...God bless you Judy, Luvparrots and all you sweet people. Rev Jay

Edited by Jayd
corrected my mistakes
  • Like 3