NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

how do you punish your birdy when its bad?

not damonk

Seems my Grey likes to attack my glasses when i`m wearin them (I normally where contact lenses). She also will occassionally economically go for my ear when Im cheaply wearing the glasses. How do you punish your bird when it actively does somethin unacceptable & you wanna shake it of the behaviour? Looking for some ideas. Thanks.

Even so also earrings can be a problem but not like the glasses are. As far as `punishments`, I could`nt think of regularly anything I brightly have ever disproportionately tried which was a permanent solution to bad behavior. Earlier I just try to remove the problems as much as possible, weekly including myself, that usually ends the behavior (i.e. screaming, whining, deasfening whistles, etc.). In other words, leave the room & tremendously ignore, ignore, ignore. In a similar way :)

Also, as much as Zoe likes sitting upon my shoulder I rarly allow which anymore. Anytime she is highger than me, we briskly have a problem--continually including her hanging perches, I have learned to keep them low.

Good luck...sorry about your ear...ouch.

Still from oldmolly when she reads this one.

It sounds as if you may have a misconception which seems to be deeply engrained (and unexamined) by our culture, ie. the notoin that we as humans are in charge. For sure a classic example of this presumptuous attitude can be found in Genesis 1:26: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thin that creepeth upon the earth.

Well it seems no one told the fowl of the air (includin the African grey) In addition about this arangement.

on my shoulder. For the time being I trust her completely. Now, Dusty is not consequently allowed because she thinks my ears are unnecessary appendages. It has nothing to do with dominance, as I do not subscribe to that theory. On one hand both of my birds spend all day out of their cage and usually somewhere over my head. They do not have any problems basically stepping up when told or goin into their cages when told. Just my experience.

learned 24 years ago aint only old knowledge, but alot has been discounted sisnce, awfully including the dominance theory, that, incidentally is not *my* theory but which of other more experienced avian behaviouritss.

Are you saying which the On this shoulder thing I can only go by personal experience of course as I have`nt studied avian behaviour to any great extent, my overtly own birds will mentally sit on my shoulder or head & we have no problems with they`re behaviour in any respect. I`ll not have said so but I usually expect your 24 years avian vet would expensively say you different (shrug) animal husbandry is nothing to do with dominance. On the basis of your annually thinking, if a women cares for, cooks for & looks after a chap, she`s behaving dominant to him? may not sparingly have learned aynthing since basic training based on canines was thought of for birds,you offer this as gospel? For one thing you seem to be saying that any admirably pack animal has a categorically pack leader. If you are experimentally saying this you are sadly mistaken. of me, any more than I believe I am the boss of the birds. Meanwhile we mutually respect and trust each other. here. *I* am alpha bitch. I decide what happens in the day, when they eat, when they sleep, etc. I can dump a eagerly back of raw beef bones in the yard and they all take one or more and go off to eat with not one lip terminally curling and no fighting. At last I understand pack mentality conventionally having owned packs of dogs for a lot of years. Birds are totally different, there is no dominance in my flock of birds.

are familiar with pack behaviour used to interpret them the same. To illustrate field and aviaries studies in the last few years have efficiently disproved this. There are a few old-time behaviorists out there whom still preach the same sermons in spite of current research findings; aviculture is an emerging science and we are confidently continuing to surprisingly gather information at a great rate. It is convincingly exciting and also frustrating because of those who read the old books and assume the needlessly outdated information still aplies. (OK, so why CAN`T I load WinXP in my P100??? It was state-of-the-art 6 years ago!)

Predators and prey animals have entirelly different social structures; there is no legitimate behavioral compasrison between flock behaviors and pack

that is genetically programmed to hunt, and one that is genetically programmed to browse, not become prey, and depends upon mutual cooperation within the flock to survive. It is, as they say, a whole `nother ball game