NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Appearance

Erfan

1 hour ago, Erfan said:

Hello guys, 

is appearance important to grey parrots?

i mean , should I always wear  same clothes  or with same color everyday or same hairstyle ?? 

Greetings, :)Actually you can wear any color or style around our fids... Equal Opportunity Birds,O.o will EAT and destroy no-matter what your wearing.!!!:( Your fid will react to what you wear or how you smell. watch for signs...

• Like 2

I have heard of  stories of changing hair stiles that upset a Grey and moving their cage to a new location that would upset them.

Corky my grey has lived with change all her life. She has traveled all over the U.S. with us in our motor home and has stayed in hotels, motels, at friends homes and the homes of relatives.

She has traveled in our, cars, trucks and SUV`s from the time she was 5 months old;

I believe that if they live with change from a young age they know how to roll with punches.

We bought Corky a new large travel cage for one of our trips because she found out how to open the doors of all her other cages.

She watched me put it together. On a trip in our motor home on the way to see my wife brother In  W.V.we were getting off the PA Pike and coming up to the toll both I heard this flap, flap

flap and she landed on my shoulder leaned forward looked at the man in the toll both and said HAY DORK.. I pulled over to see how she got out and found that she had dismantled the top of her cage, slid the top over to one side and flew to my shoulder

That was the last time I let her watch me put anything of hers together..

If they grow up with change they can be fearless.070.jpg.5468d4ef0c02b9ea86d10c786d9c584b.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Jayd said:

Greetings, :)Actually you can wear any color or style around our fids... Equal Opportunity Birds,O.o will EAT and destroy no-matter what your wearing.!!!:( Your fid will react to what you wear or how you smell. watch for signs...

By the way 

my parrots doesn’t like vegetables , i tried tomato , lettuce, pepper , squash but he doesn’t like them 

for fruits just some piece and then he throws them around,

but for the nuts he really eats them carefully :D

how can I convince him to eat vegetables  and fruits more than nuts ?? Because of that he forces me to give nuts to him by not eating fruits and vegetables 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Ray P said:

I have heard of  stories of changing hair stiles that upset a Grey and moving their cage to a new location that would upset them.

Corky my grey has lived with change all her life. She has traveled all over the U.S. with us in our motor home and has stayed in hotels, motels, at friends homes and the homes of relatives.

She has traveled in our, cars, trucks and SUV`s from the time she was 5 months old;

I believe that if they live with change from a young age they know how to roll with punches.

We bought Corky a new large travel cage for one of our trips because she found out how to open the doors of all her other cages.

She watched me put it together. On a trip in our motor home on the way to see my wife brother In  W.V.we were getting off the PA Pike and coming up to the toll both I heard this flap, flap

flap and she landed on my shoulder leaned forward looked at the man in the toll both and said HAY DORK.. I pulled over to see how she got out and found that she had dismantled the top of her cage, slid the top over to one side and flew to my shoulder

That was the last time I let her watch me put anything of hers together..

If they grow up with change they can be fearless.070.jpg.5468d4ef0c02b9ea86d10c786d9c584b.jpg

Thank you , that was  a interesting story:))

Edited by Erfan
  • Like 2

Greetings Erfan, Ray is right on....Try this for me and as Ray said, keep trying.....Green Leafy Veggies: Kale, no lettuce, mustard greens, corn on the cobb, (once a week) spinach, dandelion greens, collard greens. Carrots,  cauliflower with peanut butter (just a dab), snap peas, a good quality seed with no sunflowers such as Top's or Volkman's (on Amazon), raw spaghetti. some cooked pasta, The whole trick is to give them two or three things for six to seven days, they won't starve. Leave the seeds 24/7.....Don't let the fresh food sit in cage more than 2-3 hours.  You can try a spoonful of plain low-fat yogurt or cottage cheese daily I promise they won't starve.. Again, this can take days or months You are doing great!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, Jayd said:

Greetings Erfan, Ray is right on....Try this for me and as Ray said, keep trying.....Green Leafy Veggies: Kale, no lettuce, mustard greens, corn on the cobb, (once a week) spinach, dandelion greens, collard greens. Carrots,  cauliflower with peanut butter (just a dab), snap peas, a good quality seed with no sunflowers such as Top's or Volkman's (on Amazon), raw spaghetti. some cooked pasta, The whole trick is to give them two or three things for six to seven days, they won't starve. Leave the seeds 24/7.....Don't let the fresh food sit in cage more than 2-3 hours.  You can try a spoonful of plain low-fat yogurt or cottage cheese daily I promise they won't starve.. Again, this can take days or months You are doing great!

So I should  start again , but if i give him these foods a lot he makes his cage dirty. “ Don’t let fresh food sit in cage more than 2-3 hours” , well as you know he is still wild and really hurt him  self when i clean his cage so i just give him food  and he is improving but I can’t clean his cage :( the last time I cleaned his cage was 1 month ago 🤒 and he was terrified 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Erfan said:

So I should  start again , but if i give him these foods a lot he makes his cage dirty. “ Don’t let fresh food sit in cage more than 2-3 hours” , well as you know he is still wild and really hurt him  self when i clean his cage so i just give him food  and he is improving but I can’t clean his cage :( the last time I cleaned his cage was 1 month ago 🤒 and he was terrified 

My friend you have to clean the cage at the minimum every other day....Yes you have to work with him..Does he fly? Is he clipped? Will he come out of his cage by himself and go back in?

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Jayd said:

My friend you have to clean the cage at the minimum every other day....Yes you have to work with him..Does he fly? Is he clipped? Will he come out of his cage by himself and go back in?

I don’t think he can fly , his feathers look that they were clipped , I haven’t opened his cage yet 

they told me don’t open his cage until he fully trusts you .

we are going to move in on 17th April to our new house , I’ll try to open his cage that time because I afraid if i open his cage maybe he doesn’t want to go back and ...

• Like 2

Whoever told you don’t open the cage is just making the adjustment worse,  it will reinforce his fear of humans,  if he can’t fly, open the cage while you are around to supervise, he may sit for weeks with the door open, in time he’s going to get curios and may sit on the door. That’s a high first step.

i understand the fear and thrashing he probably does of cleaning his cage...but it has to be done...even slow gentle movements by you, soft singing while you do it. And do just the bare necessities, clean the bottom grate and change the paper...let the other stuff go..as he learns that you won’t harm him, you will be able to do his perches. Patience, kindness, gentle humming or singing, and very slow movements so he can see you are not a threat. It will take time, but will work.

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, Talon said:

Whoever told you don’t open the cage is just making the adjustment worse,  it will reinforce his fear of humans,  if he can’t fly, open the cage while you are around to supervise, he may sit for weeks with the door open, in time he’s going to get curios and may sit on the door. That’s a high first step.

i understand the fear and thrashing he probably does of cleaning his cage...but it has to be done...even slow gentle movements by you, soft singing while you do it. And do just the bare necessities, clean the bottom grate and change the paper...let the other stuff go..as he learns that you won’t harm him, you will be able to do his perches. Patience, kindness, gentle humming or singing, and very slow movements so he can see you are not a threat. It will take time, but will work.

Thank you 🙏 , i will open his cage after we move in I’m sure I will be very excited when I open his cage , 

i believe,  that if we give freedom to a bird he will get along easily, but i was very cautious about my parrot because I hadn’t had a parrot before , but i have a canary he was afraid of me , i keep his cage open and now he lives with us :) and goes to his cage at night , when i brought my parrot  to my house for the first time my canary  was very curious and spent hours on top of his cage  and was looking at my parrot :)) sometimes they sang  together but now they are not together because my canary is in living room and my parrot is my room ( because i read a article and they said parrots get along with other parrots but not with other kinds of birds , so I separated them  because canaries are very small and feeble but brave , so I started to worry when I’m not in my room mybe they fight and my parrot hurts him :( because his beak is strong and looks the  same size of my canary. 

• Like 3

Erfan I'm sorry, your grey must be terribly confused moving from room to room, food being changed with not enough time to adjust to whether he likes it or not, changing light and activity levels from room to room, taking a possible ally and companion away just when he was starting to adjust and get a more normal sense of being...waiting until you move in before opening the cage door? How does that help? If he can't fly and he shouldn't right now, read a post on the forum about toweling. 

We had two beautiful rescue birds for over ten years that we rescued from a drug house. One was fragile and one was huge but were inseparable against the world. You could not get near them, they would fling themselves against the cage and bleed. Maggie used distraction by using a towel on one hand while cleaning the cage with the other. They lived a loving life...we could never hold one of them but they stopped trying to attack eventually. Keeping a Grey in your room where you sleep is extremely unhealthy for you because of the dust factor. It is possible to develop breathing or allergic reactions later on.

You have to make goals, set them, and follow them through. https://www.itsagreysworld.com/articles/toweling.htm

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Jayd said:

Erfan I'm sorry, your grey must be terribly confused moving from room to room, food being changed with not enough time to adjust to whether he likes it or not, changing light and activity levels from room to room, taking a possible ally and companion away just when he was starting to adjust and get a more normal sense of being...waiting until you move in before opening the cage door? How does that help? If he can't fly and he shouldn't right now, read a post on the forum about toweling. 

We had two beautiful rescue birds for over ten years that we rescued from a drug house. One was fragile and one was huge but were inseparable against the world. You could not get near them, they would fling themselves against the cage and bleed. Maggie used distraction by using a towel on one hand while cleaning the cage with the other. They lived a loving life...we could never hold one of them but they stopped trying to attack eventually. Keeping a Grey in your room where you sleep is extremely unhealthy for you because of the dust factor. It is possible to develop breathing or allergic reactions later on.

You have to make goals, set them, and follow them through. https://www.itsagreysworld.com/articles/toweling.htm

Could you please explain more that why I should towel him ? Do You mean when I open his cage if he doesn’t come back to his cage i use toweling or ..? 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Erfan said:

Could you please explain more that why I should towel him ? Do You mean when I open his cage if he doesn’t come back to his cage i use toweling or ..? 

Yes just follow instruction, don't hold too tight, be gentle....

• Like 2

To your original question about clothing etc., it really depends on the bird.  Timber is terrified of anything orange.  Why? I don't know, I just know he is. So, I avoid wearing orange if I'm going to be near him, and I know not to put a piece of baked pumpkin in his cage.. You learn this kind of thing by trial and error.  As to vegetables, you already got good advice.  Timber loves fresh peas (not the pods, the actual pea).  He also loves artichokes.  He tolerates and occasionally eats broccoli and a few others. He kinda sorta likes cooked sweet potato, so that is in his breakfast bowl every day.  You really have to experiment. Some things they like raw, some things cooked. Just keep trying, that what most of us rehomers have to do.

Edited by Timbersmom
  • Like 1

Greys are quick to notice change but most of them don't react to you wearing different colors and such, that being said my grey doesn't like me to color my fingernails, I don't usually wear nail polish so on the occasion I have some on she does not like it when she sees it, she reacts like she thinks its going to get her and eat her but if I take it off then all is well. You will probably find out if something scares your grey although right now pretty much everything does for he is in a new to him environment. Just go slow around him with no sudden movements and talk softly to him. The others have given you some good advice.

• Like 3

Jayd, I don't think Erfan should try to towel his grey yet.  The bird is simply too terrified to be handled without setting back what little trust they are building.  Erfan, don't worry about your clothes.  If you start wearing the same thing every day then he will become scared by change, but if you just dress normally then that will become his norm.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Acappella said:

Jayd, I don't think Erfan should try to towel his grey yet.  The bird is simply too terrified to be handled without setting back what little trust they are building.

I am sorry Acappella but i must respectfully disagree with your post. My context regarding toweling was concern about getting Erfan's fid back in the cage, only in an emergency.  I personally don't feel the bird is terrified....I feel the bird was put in a cage and left alone and is set in his ways. Right now, the trainee is training the trainer....there is always the possibility this bird was and may always be a caged bird....

Pistachio and Buddy, our last rescue birds who have both recently traveled over the rainbow bridge, lived with us for over 13 years and never did let us touch them and until the last three years, would squawk and back up when Maggie had to clean their cage. They never lost trust because they never fully trusted us. If they flew to the floor, or out of their boundaries, the would step up and let Maggie pick them up although the beaks were always open. They lived a wonderful life with each other and thanking us for food and treats by singing to us and talking to us while keeping us at arm's length.

Erfan, your fid has far more luggage than has been unpacked so far. Right now, it has you trained at what your baby wants. You walk by the cage, he squawks, you put your hand in the cage, he squawks....you're trained. At this point, no trust will be lost, right now he is just aware that you just feed him. You need to learn what you feel is right despite his yelling ...you need to have consistency in everything you do around him. Do you have a current picture of him in his cage? Love you all, Jayd

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/18/2018 at 10:13 PM, Jayd said:

I am sorry Acappella but i must respectfully disagree with your post. My context regarding toweling was concern about getting Erfan's fid back in the cage, only in an emergency.  I personally don't feel the bird is terrified....I feel the bird was put in a cage and left alone and is set in his ways. Right now, the trainee is training the trainer....there is always the possibility this bird was and may always be a caged bird....

Pistachio and Buddy, our last rescue birds who have both recently traveled over the rainbow bridge, lived with us for over 13 years and never did let us touch them and until the last three years, would squawk and back up when Maggie had to clean their cage. They never lost trust because they never fully trusted us. If they flew to the floor, or out of their boundaries, the would step up and let Maggie pick them up although the beaks were always open. They lived a wonderful life with each other and thanking us for food and treats by singing to us and talking to us while keeping us at arm's length.

Erfan, your fid has far more luggage than has been unpacked so far. Right now, it has you trained at what your baby wants. You walk by the cage, he squawks, you put your hand in the cage, he squawks....you're trained. At this point, no trust will be lost, right now he is just aware that you just feed him. You need to learn what you feel is right despite his yelling ...you need to have consistency in everything you do around him. Do you have a current picture of him in his cage? Love you all, Jayd

Yes i have pictures of him :)

• Like 2