NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

My Joey just laid an egg!!!

Joey's Sister

Hello everyone

I'm new to this site, I re homed my 17 year old CAG in August 2017 and I'm enjoying every moment of caring for her.

She seemed very ill last night and I was very concerned. She was on the bottom of her cage and would not get up. She seemed to be straining and making croaky squawking noises. All of a sudden an egg appeared much to my relief and surprise! 

She seems to have bonded with my father and displays mating behavior when interacting with him - which I've tried to discourage but he is a 'bird man' and so 'he knows best'. I wonder if this is why she has went into laying mode? I'm in touch with the previous owner still and she has never done this before.

Any advice would be gratefully received!

Thank you

Leanne 

• Like 5

i re-homed a 20-year old Lilac-Headed Amazon a couple of years ago that laid an egg.  I was told by a reliable breeder to leave the egg along until the zon no longer cared about it; which I did.  Then I removed it and my zon has not laid an egg since then.  (thank you Dave007, I still miss you).

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

My 12 year old Cag has never laid an egg but my sun conure has and I left it and she added another then sit on them for several weeks then took 1 away, couple of days later I took another. I was advised by Dave to leave them for if you took them away they will continue to lay to replace it. Be sure to provide some calcium in her diet as laying eggs can deplete their stores.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Well, there has been a development. She ate the egg! I'm thinking this will replace any nutrients she may have lost. We have replaced it with a fake one for now - my father has bred birds in the past and apparently this is good practice. 

She was her usual quirky self last night although a little moody with me, not surprisingly if she is nesting.

When I left this morning she was on the bottom of the cage again so I think she'll most likely lay again today.

Thanks for the replies guys!

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Joey's Sister said:

I have actually been meaning to try her with boiled egg. She loves toast dipped in yolk in the morning. :D

The hard boiled egg is a little better with the shell on for natural calcium and help replace any nutrients loss..Please don't feed supplements with out a vets approval...You know us old people, I hide my own Easter eggs and forget where I hid them in 5 minutes.....

• Like 3