NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

I know we have the parrot bite me forum

KevinD

it is long and huge.......but it is mainly about the occasional bite. What if you got a guy that bites everyone and everything......

there is a question. And Sukie is so well treated there is no excuse for it.....he gets baths, and has his own humidifier and every kind of food there is, apples, corn on the cob,  the high dollar multivitamin stuff, raw peanuts, he gets taken everywhere he wants to go, the wife spoils him rotten.

What do you do with that?

• Like 3

15 hours ago, ILeo said:

it is long and huge.......but it is mainly about the occasional bite. What if you got a guy that bites everyone and everything......

there is a question. And Sukie is so well treated there is no excuse for it.....he gets baths, and has his own humidifier and every kind of food there is, apples, corn on the cob,  the high dollar multivitamin stuff, raw peanuts, he gets taken everywhere he wants to go, the wife spoils him rotten.

What do you do with that?

Hi , of course I’m still at growling phase , but i read somewhere that if you are at the phase that  your parrot wants to be with you but he bites you , when he does that juat leave the room quickly , and then try again  and if  he does again leave the room quickly again  , that way , he will understand,  that when he bites the only thing he gets is loneliness , so he won’t do it again . but note that the method , which  I mentioned , is for parrots which  they don’t growl or are not fully wild because if you do that with a wild parrot the result is exactly opposite, because he thinks : well I don’t want him be around me and whenever I bite him he leaves the room so it’s a good way to keep him away , and he keeps doing it. 

I hope it helps you.

Edited by Erfan
  • Like 3

In the training room there's a thread called Body Language Most Commonly Seen, or something close to that.  A bite is often their last resort after other signals he's sent you have been ignored.  See if you're missing signals that he doesn't want interaction at the moment.  If it's a time when you need to touch him, like you're going out and you need to put him in his cage, try the compromise Dorian and I have worked out.  If he's in a pissy mood and I need him to step up, and I don't particularly feel like getting bit (lol), I get him to step up onto a perch and transfer him that way.  I got him used to the perch laying around him, then rolled it towards him, then let him step onto it on the desk, then picked it up a tiny bit and put it back down . . . You get the picture.  Now I can use it to put him back in his cage, move him off his playstand etc. . .  I let him beat up on the perch when he's moved - it's pretty cute. 

• Like 3

Under normal circumstances, all the posted advice is applicable, but nothing has changed, this just started abruptly. Nothing has changed in the last year and a half.

I dunno. Will wait it out, cant last forever. 

• Like 2

Does he sense a sadness or grief?  Just your mood or  state of mind he can feel.  It may make him feel unsure and he’s lashing out at that perhaps?  Just a wild guess.

Also, spring is around the corner and my parrots are ALL acting up..🤪

• Like 2

3 hours ago, KevinD said:

Under normal circumstances, all the posted advice is applicable, but nothing has changed, this just started abruptly. Nothing has changed in the last year and a half.

I dunno. Will wait it out, cant last forever. 

The reason I ask Sukie's age is because a Grey will go through developmental stages at different ages, Unfortunately, when the hit around 40, they go into what I call the age of contemplation. They basically stop talking, spend a lot of time just perched, and spend a lot of time what I call as contemplating their navel. They are also famous to just abruptly change their normal behavior, such as: Who's my mate?, Can I bite you?, I no longer eating what you gave me yesterday!, and I don't care about my behavior for the last year and a half! It is different today!

In all the parrots who have passed through our doors and who we have worked with, the Grey socially and psychologically, is more different than any other species. They are more human-like with life-cycle signs such as youth, puberty, maturation, and old age. A Grey, at the drop of a hat, can literally change from black to white and vice-versa and forget all previous behaviors. Biting is a trait they learn from humans. It is a rapid action for attention. In the wild, they don't bite. In captivity, we take such good care of them, they have little options left to be themselves with their wild instincts.

We must remember, as opposite to other parrots, when a Grey is fledged, they are not kicked out and forced to leave. They stay with their family group and help out until they are ready to mate, at which time they bring their hen to the existing family group. A Grey's family consists of generations.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 3/13/2018 at 8:41 PM, KevinD said:

He is only 5 give or take a few months.

Thank you KevinD and Sukie...In nature, at 5, they are still helping with the family and learning how to be an adult. A Grey matures between 5-7 years old. I would never breed a Grey before 6 years old. At this time, they are finding out stuff about their body and interests they didn't know, O.o or weren't aware of. This is also the time where they reach out, exploring boundaries and expanding their personality. This is a period where a lot of Greys change favorites among their flock (you, your wife, your children, your dog xD).

Between now and 8 years old, you will see a lot of changes. Some Greys stop talking and whistle more, some will develop interests like music, looking out windows, calling your dog, cat, or you to see your reaction, and some will have a complete personality change. They are also really learning how to talk. You'll notice at times that your Grey, while you are talking to someone else will be just looking at you or you will walk by the cage and hear them mumbling sounds. What they are doing is learning and practicing how to say words with their beak.

At this time, they will also go to the limit, push outside the box, and destroy the box :o in an effort to get a reaction out of you. Unfortunately, if our reaction is wrong, we are stuck with this bad habit. (They own us...) Unfortunately also, sneak attacks are very common at this age. The best thing to do is ignore, don't react and praise positive behavior through positive feedback and treats. Remember, we live with them, not the other way around. They own us....:P

• Like 2