NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Hand raising baby african gray and introducing to my older one

Jeanne

Hi my husband and I just purchased a baby afican gray we were told that it was 6 weeks old I truly believe she is 4 to 5 weeks old we are hand feeding her and she eats very well but I'm concerned about my 4 year old gray who was 6 months old when we got him and introducing them . does anyone have any information that could be passed along please we absolutely adore our birds thanks for any help 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi, weaning a baby parrot is one of the hardest things to do. Whenever I get the chance, I try to talk a person out of it. The possible heartbreak alone is hard enough...if your baby is truly 4-6 weeks old, you need an experienced breeder. Please don't be mad at me, I am only speaking the truth.

Do you have a feeding schedule? How many times a day and how much are you feeding? What type of formula and what temperature? Do you have a scale that will weigh in grams or ounces? Are you using a syringe or spoon? Did you hand-feed your other baby? You don't have to worry about your other Grey...just keep them apart until your baby gets older. We're here to help you.

After all our years of hand-raising and caring for parrots, we learned it's not the hand-feeding that creates the bond, but the presence of the human, the holding and communication that creates this bonding process. This also allows the parents the proper amount of time to raise the chicks to be on their own.

Please see the post "FEEDING MY PARROT".

:D If you like, go to the INTRODUCTION AND WELCOME LOUNGE and tell us all about you and yours. Thank you! Jayd

Edited by Jayd
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have a Tag and a Cag both of which are flighted.  The Tag is two years older than the Cag.  When I got my Cag he was still eating his evening formula.  Ana Grey, tag, sat with us at the table when I handfed Sterling Gris, cag.  Ana Grey would finish off the formula after Sterling Gris was full.  When Sterling Gris was younger, Ana Grey would feed him food and I believe he believes she is his Mom.  Although he is at least twice her size he follows her around like a puppy.  They are bonded with Ana Grey being the boss and Sterling Gris the follower.

Each grey is different, I consider myself quite lucky that my greys get along.

12552543_820171214771967_2478331102703966531_n.jpg.c4efdd2b81265506f6eaf6d1783ef2db.jpg

• Like 2