NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Dehydrated Food

neoow

Hi all,

I've seen a couple of mentions from different sources about dehydrated food for parrots. I read that someone was making their own dehydrated food so they knew where everything had come from and someone else had ordered some in.

I've never really heard of this before (or paid it much attention) so I'm just curious about it.

If you make or buy dehydrated food, how do you feed it to your birds? Do you feed it as is or do you have to soak it or cook it in some way before it's edible?

• Like 5

I feed Volkman's Birdeez Buffet and have for years.   It contains dehydrated veggies/fruits.   I basically have a concoction where I boil water then throw in a bean cuisine for 15-20 mintues, then I throw in the birdeez buffet (minus the pasta pieces).  Let that cook for another 10 minutes then throw in the pasta and some frozen peas and vegetable medley.     Makes for a really great parrot buffet!

Huey thinks it's the best thing ever.   He gets super excited when he sees me in the kitchen making his breakfast!

HueyBreakfast.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Make our own here, just wash and dry veggies or fruit, slice thin and lay on dehydrator sheets close dehydrator and turn on  set timer if yours has one. Juicy items will take longer than the not juicy types. Experiment, once dry and in an airtight container or bag they keep well on the shelf or refrigerated. You can serve as is or mix with nuts, cook with grains or pasta adding near the end of cook time put on lid and allow to rest and  cool some what before you serve. Can also be crumbled into scrambled eggs or birdy bread.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Greywings said:

Make our own here, just wash and dry veggies or fruit, slice thin and lay on dehydrator sheets close dehydrator and turn on  set timer if yours has one. Juicy items will take longer than the not juicy types. Experiment, once dry and in an airtight container or bag they keep well on the shelf or refrigerated. You can serve as is or mix with nuts, cook with grains or pasta adding near the end of cook time put on lid and allow to rest and  cool some what before you serve. Can also be crumbled into scrambled eggs or birdy bread.

This is a great idea but my kitchen is so small I don't have any room for any more gadgets. :(

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...