NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

help please quick

Tycos_mom

Hi I had to go out for awhile today and Fergie escaped from her cage. When I got home she was on the floor with a fly paper strip stuck to her and know she has gooy fly paper glue all over her I tried to bath her with dish soap twice but her fethers are still all gooy any sugestions on how to get the goo off. I'm worried about her.

Pat

Pat you might have to contact an avian vet to find out what you can safely use to get it off, but you may have to just cut those feathers off that has the glue on them to get rid of it. How horrible for Fergie to be in such a predictament, you will have to do something about preventing a future escape or she could end up in something worse. I hope you find a solution to your problem.

I phoned the emergency vet clinic and they said that said peanut butter is the best way to get the goo off my bird and then to bath with dawn dish soap after that

I got most of it off her tail and top feathers But she will not allow me to touch her under her wings at the top of her tail or around her vent area. As much as she loves me she won't let me and there is quite a bit of goo on that area I don't have anyone to help me so I can't towel her and do it. She's a big bird. I'll just have to wait until my daughter gets here she doesn't get off work until 1:30 and she won't get here until 2:00 AM I don't know what to do she's just going to have to have a gooy vent until tomorrow I Guess If I wake her a 2:00 am She going to be extreamly grouchy She is after all a Large Amazon and she's got a big scary beak I don't know if I should wake her to do this or just wait til tomorrow. I got most of it off her. its just the vent area left. what do you think

Pat

I know peanut butter strange ah I guess anything oily would probubly work I didn't try the olive oil but it probubly would have worked just as well as the peanut butter its the oil that break down the goo. just like with gum if you eat a peanut while your chewing gum the gum will disintagrate and I'm sure oil would do that also. At least we know what works now if it ever happens to another bird. Learn something new every day.

Thanks alot for trying to help I appreciate the effort.

Pat

Well I got fergies vent area cleaned finally with a little help from my daughter. Fergie is one of my rescued birds and in here previous home they did alot of fighting and Fergie leaened alot of very nasty swear words. This morning while my daughter held her while I rubed olive oil into to feathers around her vent she screamed every nasty name she learned at me. Boy was she mad. She so mad she been sulking in her cage four four hours. She won't even take a walnut from meand there her very favorite treat. She will get over it she loves me. and I'm sure it feels a whole lot better to get that goo off her feathers. thanks to all of you for your help and I let you know when fergie get back to her normal happy loveing self

Animation2-359da98b1ef5c601001609cca2e1ed14.gif

Animation2-359da98b1ef5c601001609cca2e1ed14.gif

Hi I almost forgot to tell you Fergie did not escape from her cage like I thought she did because I put her in her cage when I went out. My daughter let her out when she got home. She had to get ready for work and so she thought she would give Fergie a little time to play while she was getting ready. When it came time for her to leave Fergie refued to go back into her cage she wouldn't step up for her and she didn't have time to fool around she said Fergie was happily chewing the bark off her big branch I had cut for her a few days before so she thought she wpuld be ok for a couple of hours. then left for work. So she won't do that again I told her if she has to go to work from now on not to let Fergie out. If she going to be home then and only then she can let fergie OUT

PAT

I'm a strong believer in not teaching bad words to birds, but I have the most hilarious metal image of you scrubbing your amazons but and it screaming profanities at you...how funny.

{Feel-good-0002006E}

I'm also so glad to hear that you were able to get the goop off...I was thinking maybe Goo-gone, but peanut butter I'm sure is better to use because it is ingestible. I'll be sure to remember this because at my pet store job we use sticky traps for mice and I can just see one of the birds getting out and getting one stuck on it.

It is good to hear you finally got it all removed.

Though cussing is bad in a parrot, I too find the mental and auditory picture/sound hilarious, I almost spit my coffee out :-)

It is amazing, that he seemed to know WHEN the appropriate time was to use such verbal descriptions based on the situation. ;-)