NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

GETING NEW GRAY

JNKIR7

I AM RESQUEING A GRAY WHO STAYS AT HOME SOMTIMES WEEKS I THINK I HAVE TALKED THEM INTO GIVING HIM TO ME SO HE WILL HAVE A GOOD HONE AND FRIEND HE DOES NOT KNOW ME HOW LONG SHOULD I EXPECT BEFORE HE ACCEPTS ME AND IS NOT AFRAID I CANT WAIT TO HAVE FUN WITH HIM MY NAME IS JANIE

Hello and welcome to the family, Janie, glad you could join us and we look forward to hearing more about you and this new grey.

I am so proud of you for doing this and I am sure you will give it a good loving home for you look like you already have at least one bird from the look of your avatar, a quaker, right!!!

How old is this grey and what do you mean by it stays home sometimes weeks, I ask for it helps us get to know the situation better so we can be able to help you?

Since you are taking this grey in from a previous home it may take a long time before it comes to trust you and bond with you. Just be patient and give it plenty of time and you will eventually be rewarded with its love and trust. I am talking weeks, months and maybe even years, just don't give up on it, it takes time especially when it comes from a previous home.

Please read thru our many threads here on various topics for lots of useful and helpful information that will answer many of your questions and know that we will help you in any way we can.

When are you taking possession of this grey? You realize you have to quarantine this grey from the other birds in your house for a period of at least 30 to 45 days in case one or the other are carrying any disease that may be passed on to the other.

It does take time for a grey to get comfortable with a new home and since he is older, you haven't said how old he is, the time it takes for him to come to trust you and bond with you will take longer so be very patient with him.

Well let us know when he comes home and be sure to post a picture of him if you can, we would love to see him.

As far as rehomes and rescues go, I would give them time to adjust. Don't try to hold or cuddle them or anything like that. Just hang out by their cage, give them treats etc and lots of praise. If they act curious like they want to come out then let them out, just don't force it, let it be on their time! Congrats on the rescue!

update i called im supposed to pick him up tomorrow if all goes well they backed out of giving him up then changed their mind again and told me to come get him i hope all goes well i have to drive a hundred miles to get him but thats fine i just dont want to get there and then they change their mind again i really want this bird to have a better life

i picked him up this morning i think he is great worries me he was in a home made galvanized cage thats a no no right from what ive allways heard thats not good he has been plucking but no bare spots just downy hope it gets better he is eating and drinking and he likes me so allis good so far

It's great to hear you were able to get him to your home now :-)

Your right, the Cage should be replaced with a powdercoated wrought iron cage when you get a chance.

We'll be looking forward to hear how he is settling in and getting along in his new home and companion.

• 3 weeks later...

SORRY I HAVENT BEEN ON I HAVE BEEN VERY BUSY THEN MY COMPUTER CRASHED BUT ECHO IS DOING GREAT HE LOVES ME A LITTLE TO MUTCH MAYBE THE VET SAYS HE MAY ACTUALLY BE A SHE SHE OR HE IS SMALL COMPARED TO THE ONES I HAVE SEENVET KEEPS CALLING HIM A SHE MAYBE HE CAN TELL BY LOOKING BUT HES DOING GREAT EATING GOOD BUT DOESNT LIKE PELLETS VET WANTS HIM TO EAT NUTRABERRIES SAYS THATS THE BEST THING FOR HIM HE ACTUALLY LOVES THEM AS LONG AS ITS TROPICAL FRUIT HIS FEATHERS ARE STARTING TO COME IN HE HASENT PULLED ANY IN TWO WEEKS

One suggestion, since the quaker was there before Echo, always feed, water, take him out of the cage and etc before you do Echo, that lets him know he still has his place, does not mean you don't love Echo but that the bird that was there first has first place.

Glad to hear it is going good for you, keep us informed.

Cool! Thanks for the update. It sounds like everything is going well. :) Is you vet an Avian vet? I've never heard of someone that can tell the sex of a Grey by looking at it and I've never heard of one recommending Nutraberries either :unsure: It sounds like you're having a great time and your hands are full :) so keep us posted :)

hello,

congrats! you did a good thing. just pld don't expect the birds to play and get along always. the important thing is your relationship with the birds. Both my CAGs, I am their second owner. Charlie was in a crazy household, he didn't get much sleep, no respect. I am sure your Echo appreciates you even along with that pesky QUaker :)