NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Prayers please

Timbersmom

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you! He is much the same. We hoped changing his seizure meds would cause a return of his coordination but that isn't the case so far. He still has difficulty perching and navigating. He is still in the "hospital" cage. He seems slightly better on the new meds, but not as improved as I hoped. We see the vet again Monday afternoon. Still hanging in there!

I've been adding red palm oil to his food since I read it here, which is practically the whole time I've had him. All suggestions are appreciated though! The vet visit went fine yesterday. Timber has regained the weight he lost with the supplemental formula feedings. He hasn't had any more seizures (that we have seen) on the new meds. The worst news was that the vet said he didn't really expect his functionality to improve much more. I've seen some improvement in the last two weeks and am still praying for a full recovery. However, if he stays handicapped we'll deal with it. I'm shopping for a small cage since this travel cage isn't made to be a permanent home.

Anything is possible. It is encouraging that the seizure meds seem to be working at this point. Hopefully you will continue to see improvements over time. Neurological damage does not usually show signs of repair very quickly. I have dealt with a lot of it in my life - my son was diagnosed with MS at age 13, I had a cockatiel who suffered a stroke and then a couple of years ago, we had a pup out of a litter that started having seizures at 2 weeks of age. And, I work in the health field. Improvement is always slow and steady, to the point that it is hard to notice at times.

Give Timber a big kiss for me.

Has the vet suggested any sort of physical therapy activities? (I ask that like we could honestly get a grey to cooperate with said activities. You can tell I am still on my first cup of coffee.)

He actually seems happy with it. It gives him more room to move around and the larger bars and correct spacing are a plus for his ability to get around. After 5 years of fighting change of any kind, he has become surprisingly receptive of changes since his poor health. I'd like to think he's smart enough to know he needs the changes. We still have to towel him for meds and supplemental feedings twice a day, and he has adapted to that as well. He will go and stand on the bottom of the cage (in the same spot or course) and allow us to scoop him up. Instead of fighting us and risk hurting himself, he seems to know it is necessary and is resigned to it.

I am sorry I am just now reading all of this as I haven't been active in awhile except to post about Olive...so sorry to hear about Timber! How frustrating to not know what has caused such a drastic change. I am glad that he has improved and will pray he continues to.