NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Mazuri Food

krutsingd

Has anyone ever heard of or used Mazuri pellets? A friend of mine is using them and she says it's what most of the zoo's use with their exotic birds. She gave me a small sample of them and they smelled really good, much like cooked veggies. My TAG went for them right away and loves them but my CAG could care less.

Anyway, I just wanted to know if anyone has experience with them. They also seem to be a pretty good buy. My friend got a 25 lb bag for $25.

Let me know if you've heard of Mazuri or used it and how your results have been. Thanks!

I've never used them for birds, Mazuri that is. I have however used them for other exotics with favorable results. I believe they are a subsidiary of Purina mills, but don't quote me on that. Used to get mine from one particular feed store in town. They were the only ones that carried them. I believe their website www.mazuri.com. will answer alot of your questions. Like you said alot of zoos are going to them. This is how I first heard of them. Was getting hard to get raw meat for my big cats. A friend from the zoo recommended them. Anyway sorry I'm not any more help.

I have used Mazuri pellets before, but they seem to be very hard to find. Yes, as I remember, they are made by Purina. Pellets are a small portion of my parrots' diet (probably about 15%), and usually I try to provide more than one kind in their dry mix which also has seeds, dry chili peppers, a few nuts, and pieces of Wasa whole grain crackers. Most of the diet I feed is fresh food - sprouted grains, legumes, lots of fresh vegetables, some fruit, and a cooked grain/lentil/sweet potato mix.

The trouble is finding them! I bought them once in a feed store that had a bird section when traveling through Tucson, and ordered them another time from someone in California. Since I don't live in the U.S., I have to stock up on trips north. Mazuri is just very hard to find!

Reta