NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

A did you know for Dee

Ray P

The smallest bird in the world is a Bee Hummingbird (Mellisuga helenae) of Cuba and the Isle of Youth. Males measure 57mm (2.24 in.) in total length half of which is taken up by the bill and tail, and weigh1.6 g (0.56 oz). Females are slightly larger (Guinness World Records)

Thank you Ray! You always have something that encourages me to look deeper and to learn more. We have been having some more outdoor work done. It has been a long road but the new contractor has been enjoying the hummingbirds and he told me about the ones he has seen in Costa Rica. I have been reading about them. Now I will add these Cuban cousins to my reading list.

We apparently have more hummingbirds than I know about. I'm not home during the day so I don't know what's going on out there but they sure are draining the feeder fast for what I thought was just one bird. This weekend I finally witnessed two at the same time. One came in for a nice drink and apparently the other one was on a stakeout. Second one immediately buzzed in and they ended up in a fight and high-tailed it out of there.

For the first week after we put a feeder out, I thought we had one pair. The next week, I was seeing a bunch of females, up to six at a time. They were the scrappiest little kamikaze banshees. One in particular would perch half way up an oak tree to keep an eye on both the feeders up on the deck and the one on the lower patio. Little by little, I noticed they were not all females. The juvenile males had spots of red on their throats. As they would light onto the deck rail wires, I would be able to get a closer look and most of the daredevil watch keepers were the young males. It has been quite an enjoyable past time to watch these little dynamos in action.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...