NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Another question re molting vs. plucking

monax

Toby (4 1/2 year old TAG) has been going through a long molt this season. This year I'm noticing that he is preening (or plucking?) more pin feathers out, at a rate of 3-4 per week. Visually his looks fine (no glaring patches). Is this a reason for concern? I ask because I have not noticed pin feathers being preened out in the last few years, and I'm hoping that this is not the start of a plucking habit. Toby is fully flighted, and gets to do some flying around the house every day. I've read that flighted parrots tend not to pluck. Thanks.

Bearing in mind that I'm not a professional, haven't got pictures or lots to go on & given how I read your post... ")

Sometimes when there's just a little change up it's hard to know when we're being over cautious vs vigilant. But really you can never go wrong to err on the side of caution. Talk w/your vet if you continue to feel like something's wrong.

In the meantime, suggest baths 2-3 times a week for this month. Maybe w/a little 100% organic aloe juice in the sprays. Keep an eye out for any further changes. But don't obsess or be overly attentive. Also, give Toby lots & lots to shred to keep him busy w/something constructive, for want of a better way to put it. lol

Hope this helps.