NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Bringing home "AVA", adopting 8 year old African Grey

Voyageur

Good morning fellow fanciers...

At 4pm my spouse and I will meet our new adopted "daughter" Ava. We are very excited. Ava will be accompanied by her current, very large, cage, all of her familiar toys, perch and food. Previous owner is ready to share lots of important facts about her routine, likes and dislikes and preferred food and snack. Ava will arrive at our calm, comfortable home and be given plenty of quiet time to become accustomed to her new home and family. We will let her decide when she is ready to join us and interact and make sure we are kind and understanding as she does. She is our first African Grey. I'm looking forward to sharing and learning from your group.

David and Lucy

Fort Myers Beach, Florida

Edited by Voyageur

Congrats on your first grey, believe me it is something you won't soon forget as they get a hold of our hearts and stay forever. It sounds like you have it all covered and are going about it the right way in letting her decide when she is ready to interact, looking forward to hearing more about Ava and maybe seeing some pictures of her.

Good morning fellow fanciers...

At 4pm my spouse and I will meet our new adopted "daughter" Ava. We are very excited. Ava will be accompanied by her current, very large, cage, all of her familiar toys, perch and food. Previous owner is ready to share lots of important facts about her routine, likes and dislikes and preferred food and snack. Ava will arrive at our calm, comfortable home and be given plenty of quiet time to become accustomed to her new home and family. We will let her decide when she is ready to join us and interact and make sure we are kind and understanding as she does. She is our first African Grey. I'm looking forward to sharing and learning from your group.

David and Lucy

Fort Myers Beach, Florida

You're really doing all the right things at this time:cool:. Look forward to having great experience. Make sure to send pics. People here just love em. Enjoy and :DGood luck

Hello and welcome to the new parents and to Ava!!!

This is a great place for some info and everyone of soooo very nice. If you love greys and want to learn too give them proper care, this forum is a MUST.

But with that said, it seems you guys are off to a great start already!!! Please share some pictures of Ava...lets see the little girly!

Oh and also KUDOS to you 2 for adopting an older grey in need versus scooping up a cute little baby like a lot of folks. There are so many displaced birds out there in need of a good home that it makes me want to cry. But then when I read stories such as yours, it gives me "some" hope that not all older parrots are lost and forgotten...

Again, welcome!!!

Edited by Charlies Dad

Welcome David, Lucy and Ava. Thank you for re-homing an older grey. Like Charlies Dad says, there are so many birds out there just waiting for someone new to open their hearts to them, kudos to you for doing it. Sounds like you're emotionally ready to give Ava the space she may need to get settled into your home. Don't fall for the "honeymoon" period that many re-homes go through when they seem to be settling in great for the first couple of weeks and then suddenly their behaviour regresses. Let her know you respect her space from the start and she might be faster to trust you. Don't rush her with a bunch of new toys or changing around her cage. Just let her observe her new family from the safety of her home. After all, you guys know that you're just trying to improve her life, but she doesn't know that.

Hi David, Lucy, and Ava and a big welcome! By now, Ava has arrived at her new home with you and you must be delighted. Your approach sounds just right. Would love to hear more about how she came to you as well as any antics and proud brags. We are like a flock of aunties and uncles and we never tire of hearing about each other's greybies so don't be shy. :)

• Haha 1