NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Drs Foster and Smith Toy Sizes

Giannine

Does anyone here shop from Drs Foster and Smith? If so, what toy size do you buy your Grey? I bought several what I thought were medium size (I thought the 'M' was for medium) that ended up being quite large and I found out they are for Amazon to Macaw. The next two sizes down are Conure to Amazon and Parakeet to Conure.

I use Dr F&S all the time. However I only shop their sale and clearance items and even then I shoot for the lower priced items. It gets too pricey otherwise.

Size - I will usually read the description and especially the comments section to see what birds people are buying the toy for. I just stay away from stuff that I know is too large as I have Grey down to Caique sized birds. Every toy I buy one of the three will use it although I've noticed tendencies among the three. My Caique likes stuff he can dangle from and practice his Caiquey-Jiu-Jitsu, like leather straps with toys tied to them, danglies etc. GreycieMae and my Jardines love wood items to destroy but the wood can't be too thick (or too thin as they'll destroy before I can close their cage door). They like straw toys too.

My Jardines absolute favorite toy in the whole world is this:

p-84467-69189R_002-bird.jpg

Takes some trial and error before you find what they will like. I wouldn't stockpile just yet till you figure out what she likes.

Good advise. I bought a couple smaller toys today (both under $8) so I will wait until I actually get him/her to see what it's preferences are. I do have quite a few foot toys of different materials so that should help give me an idea, too

Hi Giannine,

I am noticing that with toys, the bigger ones can be a bit of shock or scary if not properly introduced. Most toys I get for my grey are smaller than him. Maybe half his body size. I do have some bigger stuff for him but he needs to warm up to them. I do the same thing as Sterling, I read the comments to see who is getting what for who...good luck toy shopping. I know these are exciting times for a you as a new grey owner!!!

Oh and foot toys are awesome for baby greys! Its so funny when they try to pick things up and it keeps falling. Try to make your own foot toys. They are super easy and fun to do. Not to mention, cost effective!

Edited by Charlies Dad