NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Ideal Cages for Greys Sticky

Giannine

I just requested the order be cancelled but shipment info has already been sent to Fedex. I have a feeling the seller won't cancel it so I called Fedex and they told me they can cancel it as soon as they receive it. I really hope so. I don't want to be stuck with a cage I have to sell

The seller cancelled the order and refunded my money. I do have to say, the comment "A Grey may not be for you" bothered me. When I said I was going to buy the cage so I wouldn't go back-and-forth between this feature and that one, I believed the cage to be my personal minimum acceptable cage size (32" width) and because I have a tendency to overthink things and spend hours upon hours researching the smallest of things (granted, a cage is of huge importance), I can drive myself crazy and take forever to make a decision.

I am a single mom of 7 kids. I cannot afford to make rash decisions for my life or theirs or a helpless creature's. When I do anything, it is well thought out and researched. That's just how I operate. I understand most of you are used to encountering foolish owners or potential owners. I get it. That isn't me, though. I have some other news that I'll keep to myself for now but may be able to share this weekend or next week, depending on how things turn out. Have a great rest-of-the-week, everyone

From the amount of research you've been doing makes I think you'll be a good parront. Greys are a tough bird and often not recommended as a first bird, but we have had others here who, after a lot of thought and research, have made a grey a member of their family with success. I did it. Not only was Dorian my first (and only) bird, he was a re-home out of a less than good situation. I did a lot of reading and asking questions here before I brought him home and, with help, we've made great gains. I now have a happy, beak grinding birdy, thank goodness. I believe you could too. I'm glad you were able to cancel your order.

From the amount of research you've been doing makes I think you'll be a good parront. Greys are a tough bird and often not recommended as a first bird, but we have had others here who, after a lot of thought and research, have made a grey a member of their family with success. I did it. Not only was Dorian my first (and only) bird, he was a re-home out of a less than good situation. I did a lot of reading and asking questions here before I brought him home and, with help, we've made great gains. I now have a happy, beak grinding birdy, thank goodness. I believe you could too. I'm glad you were able to cancel your order.

There is a situation that can't wait until this weekend to share with you all. I don't want to double post so if you could, please go read my post in the "Rescue" forum. It is in regard to a 6-year-old Timneh being rehomed who was abused in the past

Edited by Giannine

Every home is unique just as every parrot is an incredible individual. In five years we have gone through four main cages and three travel cages trying to meet Miss Gilbert's ever changing needs. We started out with the "bigger is better" and bought one like Alex shared in an earlier post on this thread. She sat on one perch trembling for most of her first year. Miss Gilbert is unable to fly and is much more secure in a smaller cage, so we went to a midsize cage. On this most recent trip to Texas, a cat in the house necessitated a taller, stronger cage than the travel cage so we got a stacked cage that is most likely for breeders. It is 24X36 inches in each of three stacked cage compartments. Miss Gilbert has the penthouse suite, Java has the middle and all the food and supplies fit nicely in the bottom. The bottom compartment also works nicely to replace the dog crate for our two mini dachshunds. Unfortunately, unassembled, the length of each panel is well over six feet. It will not fit in our van so it won't work for our many travels to visit family. So, now it is in my living room and is perfect for our current needs. For the first time, Gil is using every inch of her living space. There really is no "one size fits" as we have discovered with our many changes.

When you get a baby parrot, try to use only the bottom of the cage and don't put perches up high. Depending on the innate character of your little one, it may get used to the lower cage and continue to use it when it gets older as you expand to use the top of the cage as well.

Thank you very much! This is useful advise. I finally found a breeder whose Timneh's eggs will be hatching any day. She accepts deposits at about 3 weeks old to make sure they are all doing well. I like her a lot and saw many excellent reviews on a site (full 5 stars from everyone). She used to have a parrot store in Ohio but they retired and moved to Florida. She still breeds to keep herself busy.

As stated previously, I am happy to have this time to prepare before we bring one home. I did find a seemingly awesome outdoor aviary on ebay to place on our deck and spend time outside on warmer days. Have any of you seen this? http://www.ebay.com/itm/391366076510?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT