NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

My new African grey

Mark527

Hello guys ^^ I'm new here and i really need some help...

So I got this new African grey from a pet store that was closing because he was traveling and not returning. The problem with my new cag is that i don't know how old is he/she i don't know what's it's gender and i don't know what's it's been through... it's been exactly 7 days since i got it and we're all happy and exited because me and my family really love animals and especially birds. Another problem that's really disappointing me is that we have to keep it in a cage because if we even come near it, it starts to growl like a dog and if someone touches it's cage it becomes really angry and starts to rage in its cage which might cause it to hurt itself =( and i don't want that to happen... I really want it to stop growling so i can interact with it and make it feel safe and loved. Thanks everyone! =)

Hello guys ^^ I'm new here and i really need some help...

So I got this new African grey from a pet store that was closing because he was traveling and not returning. The problem with my new cag is that i don't know how old is he/she i don't know what's it's gender and i don't know what's it's been through... it's been exactly 7 days since i got it and we're all happy and exited because me and my family really love animals and especially birds. Another problem that's really disappointing me is that we have to keep it in a cage because if we even come near it, it starts to growl like a dog and if someone touches it's cage it becomes really angry and starts to rage in its cage which might cause it to hurt itself =( and i don't want that to happen... I really want it to stop growling so i can interact with it and make it feel safe and loved. Thanks everyone! =)

Hi--- as for the gender of the bird, the only way to find out about the sex of the bird is to have an avian vet run a DNA test on your bird or have a certain company that will do the same thing if a small drip of blood or a flight feather is sent so that DNA can be found.

As far as age, it's very difficult to tell how old a grey is when the grey is older than 6 yrs old. Your best bet is to locate the person you got the bird from to get a rough idea about the age.

As far as behavior, that could have developed in a few ways--it's common for a grey who was preowned to act that way with new people. On the other hand, there's greys that will act in the opposite way.

Your bird is in a new place with a new environment, with new people showing everyday habits. The bird should be be situated amongst the family members so it gts use to different people and different family habits. Of course, more can be iscussed in future posts.

Just remember that what your bird is doing is being caused by FEAR or being used to only living in a cage. Your bird may have been mistreated and finds that the cage is his safe place. Just remember that it will take time.

Hi Mark, great advice from Dave007 (I've nicknamed him "Dr. Flock" because he has had greys forever and is very knowledgeable) Anyhow, greys have different personalities. I have an 8 year old female, Ana Grey, and a 6 year old male, Sterling Gris. Both I got when first weaned (babies). Ana Grey is very confident and only talks when she is inclines. She is very friendly and in charge. Now, Sterling Gris is more cautious and very talkative. He repeats just everything. I live alone and both have only been with me. Personalities very different. I suggest you talk to your new friend and let him/her know what you are doing so he/she gets comfortable. My greys were sexed by their avian vet when I had them microchipped so they can be returned to me if the finder is so inclined. Both greys are flighted as I believe wings are for flying not butchering. Just relax and enjoy.

Edited by luvparrots

Hi Mark, follow Dave's advice and hopefully your in it for the long haul. I re-homed 2 greys about a month apart 2 years ago. Rocco adjusted within days and is very social. It took Alex about 3 months before he would even come out of his cage and 6 months before I could get him to step-up and take any treats from me. He still has a long way to go but it's well worth the journey.

Thanks for the help Dave =)

This can be a starting point---------when your bird is in his cage, calmly go over to him without sticking your face in the cage. Start talking to him as if you were talking to another person ( of course, don't expect him respond:)) You'll notice that he'll bend his head to the side and start at you. His head will probably stay in that position while you're talking. Talk about the weather, what you watched on TV, your wife or girlfriend, what you bought at the grocery store. Have a wristwatch or clock nearby. As time goes on, he'll straighten his head and not really pay attention. Check out the amount of time he paid attention. Example, 10 min. Next time you do it stop at 9 min while he's still paying attention. Walk away and repeat this about 2 to 3 times a day. Always stop while the bird is still interested in your talking. What you're doing is building trust. The bird will not dislike you as much. He'll be curious. AGAIN, it will take time to gain a bird's confidence and this whole thing also applies to other types of parrots.

Hello and welcome to you and your grey! When I rehomed Timber he was not friendly either. I left the cage door open, and when he was ready he would come out and hang out on top of his cage or sit on the open door. When I'd approach the cage, he'd go back in. As time went by, he'd stay out as long as I didn't get too close. It takes time for many greys to get used to their new environment and new people. They are usually slow to trust. It took about 3 months before I could get Timber to step up. I don't know if Timber is actually a male or female, and while I was told he was 5 or 6 when I got him, I really don't know. It's been 3 years now and I don't know what I'd do without him. Good luck and God bless :)

Thanks Dave i will be doing this today and will tell you what happens; ) she's starting to eat and drink in front of me without being so scared she didn't used to do that and now when she growls her growls would sound softer than before so there's some progress*.

I think my CAG is an old one i heard people saying you can tell from the eye color around the pupil and it's white with a bit of yellow, does age effect the trust process? And btw when someone's near her she makes a clicking sound i don't know how but i think it's with her tongue, so let's say your infront of her she bends down while scared looks in a straight forward position and a sound come like "TICK"

Thanks Dave*:)

That "click" is a sound I think every grey makes if it is what I think you are talking about. I've seen several different "interpretations" of it on the forum. Check out the "stickies" on the first page of the forum. There is a lot of useful information there. For Timber, the click seems to mean a couple of things. We call it his thank you, since he often does it after we give him a treat. He will also do it when he wants my attention sometimes. I've seen it listed by some as a warning, but in Timber's case that doesn't seem to be the meaning.

Most greys love to whistle. When I was trying to get Timber to interact initially, I started whistling to him. Before long he was whistling back. I still whistle to him often. When I am in another room and he can't see me, that's how we communicate and I let him know my location. When I get up in the morning (I'm upstairs, he's downstairs) as soon as my feet hit the floor he will start whistling. You'll also probably notice a particular whistle/sound pattern your bird will often make. That is his/her contact call. Birds are flock animals, and the contact call broadcasts their location so you can find your way back ;)

Timber seems to be really cute =) my bird is next to now in its cage eating and making like the cat sound when it 'meow' today is the first fay she plays in front of me and starts to play around the cage i hope one day i will come closer and she want growl i really want it to enjoy the time outside the cage too3 =)

Sophie has two clicks. One... excited to see me... the other, disapproval. I know her clicks, and you will learn too once the trust is there. Try opening the cage door and let your bird come on the door. Don't try to pick up, but just sit in front of cage talking about your day. We are big book readers and Sophie is now too! We would read to her in front of her cage with door opened. Dr. Seuss and Shel Silverstein were her favorites and are so today 15 years later..We read to her at the same time every night. She got into our routine. I NEVER put my hand in her cage, as they are very protective of their home. Of course now I can put my hand in her cage and she jumps on, but it takes patience and trust Nancy

That's really nice.. i hope i can do this one day too... it's been 10 days and whenever someone gets closer to her she starts growling with a very loud sound ... i can't even get 1m close to her without her growling and having a hurricane in her cage... I'm doing everything to make her feel safe but she won't stop growling.. when im putting for her food she growls she basically growls at anything that gets near her... it's been 10 days and the growling hadn't even begin to stop...

To give you some idea of what 'grey time' can mean, it was around 2 1/2 years before I could pick Dorian up. He wasn't growling at me, but he was terrified of hands and of being outside of his cage. Here's something that worked with him. When I approached his cage I would approach from the side so that he was seeing me in profile and seeing only one of my eye's at a time. The idea behind this as it was explained to me is that birds are prey animals and always on the lookout for threats. Most predators have front-set eyes like we do, so that approaching the cage from the side made me look less threatening. I also tried not to approach him from above so that I wasn't looming over him in a threatening manner, and I half closed my eyes - again making myself look less threatening. When I approached him this way he did seem to treat me as less of a threat and calmed down a bit. I still use the eyes half closed technique if something has startled him and he's reverted to his high-alert ways. He usually calms down right away.

Your new baby is terrified at all the changes in his life. Even if the situation he was in was not good it's all that he has known. He doesn't know that your intentions are to love and care for him, so he needs your patience and understanding. Always remember that in the wild they are prey for larger animals, and we are significantly larger and more threatening to them. He is using the only techniques he has to defend himself. It's going to take time and patience to convince him that even though you could hurt him you aren't going to. When you get frustrated you can come here to vent so that you can go back to him with love. We're here to support you as you build your relationship.

When you first posted, I wasn't paying attention to dates. Your first post was 3-29-16. You said that you had your bird 7 days before that. So that means you've had your bird since 3-22-16. Today it's 4-2-16. That means that as of now you've had your bird for 11 days. It seems like no one has told you including myself that you need to let your bird get used to everything around it which is usually much longer than 11 days. So, leaving your bird alone and letting him digest everything around him would be the best thing for him and that also includes grouling, screaming, lunging at people. His cage is his new home and that home is now on new property where he has to get used to the grocery stores, shopping malls, nearby schools, the local police dept., favorite pubs. These things are usually done by him/herself and assistance is usually asked for by the bird when the bird gets more comfortable and brave with his new surroundings.

Understand what I mean?

Your bird needs time, lots of time. Alone time.

Edited by Dave007