NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

yogurt

furley

I eat yogurt with fruit and sako likes to eat the blubberys out of it,and a lot of times its covered with yogurt,just wondering if a little yogurt on its ok for sako and if so how much might be to much>

Thanks if anyone can help on this matter.

love and light all

I eat yogurt with fruit and sako likes to eat the blubberys out of it,and a lot of times its covered with yogurt,just wondering if a little yogurt on its ok for sako and if so how much might be to much>

Thanks if anyone can help on this matter.

love and light all

Yogurt is fine because it contains beneficial bacteria which is also good for people. How much? No more than 3x a week so that loose bowel movement doesn't occur. All flavors are fine.

Yogurt can be my breakfast, around seven times a week. I get a bite, she gets a bite. We prefer to share a blueberry. Next, we mix up with multi berry. Her poops don't change. Big plop in the morning, usually before breakfast. Sophie just tells me to " share".I do share, because I have NO CHOICE! LOL

Sophie has a healthy diet of pellets, freeze dryed veggies that she loves.I provide her with the basics, and then she eats what we eat. I am not talking carbs, spaghetti sauce, just a basic protein diet. grilled veggies that she LOVES! She DOES love fruits like fresh apples , grapes.

Diet has never been an issue for us. She eats dinner with us, and has a very healthy appetite! Her weight, has always been spot on! Nancy

We fight over cheddar cheese. GreycieMae tells me, back in the wild they would milk cows and make cheddar cheese for all the Greys to eat. I don't believe it.

I don't know who fights over cheddar cheese. For years the subject of cheddar cheese has been brought up on this and other boards about the safety and harm that cheddar cheese can produce. As long as the cheddar cheese is in brick form and yellow, it causes no harm to greys. As with many other items, it should be given in moderation ( a small piece approx. every 2 weeks) is perfectly fine and totally harmless. Many people have been told that it's harmless and so far, they're been no complaints, only people who say that their birds simply didn't like it. It's too bad that such important subjects like this don't get spoken about anymore on the board.

I don't know who fights over cheddar cheese.

"We" as in me and the GreycieMae. I can't even sneak cheese out of the fridge and she knows about it. It's the only food she will 'inhale'. Won't drop a crumb. It's her absolute favorite. She gets more that a small piece every 2 weeks. One time it was left on the counter and she ripped open the packaging and proceeded to stuff herself. I saw no affect whatsoever.

Dorian likes cheese as well. He doesn't get it often enough to be obsessive, and he has to see me eating it before he'll try it every time, but when he does decide to taste it he then inhales it, not dropping a piece. I've never tried yogurt with him on purpose, but he has gotten his beak into it a couple of times when I was eating it.

"We" as in me and the GreycieMae. I can't even sneak cheese out of the fridge and she knows about it. It's the only food she will 'inhale'. Won't drop a crumb. It's her absolute favorite. She gets more that a small piece every 2 weeks. One time it was left on the counter and she ripped open the packaging and proceeded to stuff herself. I saw no affect whatsoever.

I have to agree on the "inhale" part as Josey will not drop a crumb when eating a piece of cheddar and neither does Sunny and forget about sneaking it out of the fridge for they know what it looks like and how the packaging sounds.

• 8 months later...

To help avoid bloat (common in Great Danes and can quickly kill them), I make homemade plain yogurt and give with every meal. Will I be able to give this to our CAG as well with no issues? We wont get our new baby until October but I'm trying to read everything I can and I thought I had seen dairy wasn't safe for birds. Advice please! I'm learning so much from you guys!!

I'm on the fence about the actual (non) safety of dairy. It seems to be on the no-no list everywhere you read but most of that is people just repeating what they've heard or read.

All three of my birds love greek yogurt. GreycieMae will eat it like she eats ice cream - <gulp><gulp><gulp>. Cheese is her number one favorite food on the planet. When I first started giving it to them (after GreycieMae stole a small block and ate the whole thing) I watched their poops really closely to see if there was any change in that or their behavior. I never noticed a thing.

With that said, I don't give it to them regularly, jsut as a treat every now and then.

I don't feed my fids cheese. But they do share some probiotic yogurt whenever. I go through sprees, so they get it whenever I'm in the mood.

Vet's may also recommend that a fid be given yogurt after they've been on anitbiotics. Helps right the beneficial microbial colonies that get wiped out w/the bad.

A couple of months ago, I bought a thermal cooker. I've really enjoyed experimenting & learning to cook w/it.

https://www.amazon.com/Tayama-TXM-50CF-Energy-Saving-Thermal-Cooker/dp/B010SKVXES/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1471281314&sr=8-4&keywords=tayama

Something that I've recently started to explore is yogurt, which is apparently a natural fit. And much to my great pleasure, I found some recipes for coconut yogurt which is my fav. Since that's non-dairy, it ticks all the boxes for anyone who wants to avoid the dairy issue for whatever reason.

http://tasty-yummies.com/2014/06/03/how-to-make-coconut-milk-yogurt/

http://thestonesoup.com/blog/2012/03/yoghurt/

I haven't actually made anything yet, though. I'm a little intimidated by the idea of leaving food out for so long. Especially in the dead of summer. But anyway, I'd love to get any tips or recipes you might want to share. Thanks.

Edited by birdhouse

Oh I may end up trying that coconut yogurt, it looks good! This is the recipe I use to make the plain yogurt

http://www.creativesimplelife.com/homemade-yogurt-in-a-crock-pot/

I would use Stonyfield plain whole milk yogurt as my starter, then the next time I make it I use a few tablespoons from my homemade batch. This is a very forgiving recipe and it turns out perfect every time. As I said I make it mostly for the dogs but we also enjoy it with a little maple syrup, nuts, and fresh fruit. Let me know if you try it! I was a little intimidated at the thought of leaving it out when I first started but I've been making it for over 2 yrs now with no problems :)