NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Just got a 3 month old Grey

Angelwings

We just got our 3 month old Grey on Friday (13th). She is fully weaned but, as I say, still only 12 weeks old.

She's been quite hyperactive in the cage, jumping about, climbing all over the place etc. I assume this is the first proper cage she's been in so she's getting used to it. She regularly sleeps throughout the day. Anyhow, I did try to bring her out on Saturday to go on the playstand on top of the cage. However, she seems very nervous and she ended up flying off me (not wing-clipped) to the other end of the room. I had to then carefully grab her bodily and put her back in the cage.

My question is: when should I start attempting to get her to step up on my hand so I can take her outside the cage? Should I be doing this immediately or waiting a while to build up trust? Currently I feed her the odd bit of food through the cage and tickle her but I haven't attmepted to get her out of the cage or step up on my arm since Saturday.

She also seems to make strange noises and behaviour when I go up to the cage, walk by, or she sees me looking at her from the sofa. She looks up at me a little frantically and starts making sort of whining noises, similar to the noise dogs sometimes make if they're frustrated and want something. I don't know whether she feels threatened or something?

I can only assume it's because she's so young?

Today is the first day she seems to not be so hyperactive and not going down to the floor of the cage to mess about with the newspaper.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Angelwings

We just got our 3 month old Grey on Friday (13th). She is fully weaned but, as I say, still only 12 weeks old.

She's been quite hyperactive in the cage, jumping about, climbing all over the place etc. I assume this is the first proper cage she's been in so she's getting used to it. She regularly sleeps throughout the day. Anyhow, I did try to bring her out on Saturday to go on the playstand on top of the cage. However, she seems very nervous and she ended up flying off me (not wing-clipped) to the other end of the room. I had to then carefully grab her bodily and put her back in the cage.

My question is: when should I start attempting to get her to step up on my hand so I can take her outside the cage? Should I be doing this immediately or waiting a while to build up trust? Currently I feed her the odd bit of food through the cage and tickle her but I haven't attmepted to get her out of the cage or step up on my arm since Saturday.

She also seems to make strange noises and behaviour when I go up to the cage, walk by, or she sees me looking at her from the sofa. She looks up at me a little frantically and starts making sort of whining noises, similar to the noise dogs sometimes make if they're frustrated and want something. I don't know whether she feels threatened or something?

I can only assume it's because she's so young?

Today is the first day she seems to not be so hyperactive and not going down to the floor of the cage to mess about with the newspaper.

Thanks in advance!

****I can only assume it's because she's so young?**** -------YES, you're asking and expecting a bird that's only been with you to perform certain things while the bird is still getting used to many, many things in the house. That includes, getting used to the environment, getting used to other people and animals that may be there. You say she's fully weaned at 12 wks? I don't think so. You probably got that info from the people or place you got the bird. A bird needs to be weaned until the bird tells you that she/he has had enough of feeding of formula (refusing to take a feeding. Example--a bird who's been given formula 3x a day decides that it only will accept 2 feedings a day--etc etc. That's a bird who's being properly weaned and different birds take different times to get to that point. When a bird is barely weaned, the bird will act irractily. It will be nervous. It will still remember the other chicks that he's been taken away from. He will act erractily in a new home with new people who have different habits. A bird needs to be left alone so that all of these things can be absorbed. Give oatmeal (warm and lumpy in a spoon or scoop. The noise she's making could be from a variey of things but all of these strange sounds will lessen as the bird gets us

*****Should I be doing this immediately or waiting a while to build up trust?****

Well, I think I've already answered that question

******I don't know whether she feels threatened or something?

I can only assume it's because she's so young?******

I already answered that question

Stop the stepping up process until the bird shows interest and less nervousness around you. She'll come to you. She'll wanna show curiousity to you.

Take it very slowly. She's only been there a few days. She's a wild animal and will always be a wild animal. Parrots can't be domesticated.

****I can only assume it's because she's so young?**** -------YES, you're asking and expecting a bird that's only been with you to perform certain things while the bird is still getting used to many, many things in the house. That includes, getting used to the environment, getting used to other people and animals that may be there. You say she's fully weaned at 12 wks? I don't think so. You probably got that info from the people or place you got the bird. A bird needs to be weaned until the bird tells you that she/he has had enough of feeding of formula (refusing to take a feeding. Example--a bird who's been given formula 3x a day decides that it only will accept 2 feedings a day--etc etc. That's a bird who's being properly weaned and different birds take different times to get to that point. When a bird is barely weaned, the bird will act irractily. It will be nervous. It will still remember the other chicks that he's been taken away from. He will act erractily in a new home with new people who have different habits. A bird needs to be left alone so that all of these things can be absorbed. Give oatmeal (warm and lumpy in a spoon or scoop. The noise she's making could be from a variey of things but all of these strange sounds will lessen as the bird gets us

*****Should I be doing this immediately or waiting a while to build up trust?****

Well, I think I've already answered that question

******I don't know whether she feels threatened or something?

I can only assume it's because she's so young?******

I already answered that question

Stop the stepping up process until the bird shows interest and less nervousness around you. She'll come to you. She'll wanna show curiousity to you.

Take it very slowly. She's only been there a few days. She's a wild animal and will always be a wild animal. Parrots can't be domesticated.

She now eats the seed mix (the breeder said not to go for pellets) and vegetables and is not on formula anymore. Does this mean she's weaned or is there more to it than that? Also, what does the oatmeal do in particular?

Thank you for putting my mind at rest! I thought it was because of how young she is. I didn't know whether it was best to get straight into these things from the start or whether to ease off and go at her pace. I guessed the latter but thought I would make a thread to ask just in case.

So what things should I look out for in regards to knowing when to try and handle her and let her out of the cage? Are there any indicators that can show when the best time to start doing these things is?

Thanks!

She now eats the seed mix (the breeder said not to go for pellets) and vegetables and is not on formula anymore. Does this mean she's weaned or is there more to it than that? Also, what does the oatmeal do in particular?

Thank you for putting my mind at rest! I thought it was because of how young she is. I didn't know whether it was best to get straight into these things from the start or whether to ease off and go at her pace. I guessed the latter but thought I would make a thread to ask just in case.

So what things should I look out for in regards to knowing when to try and handle her and let her out of the cage? Are there any indicators that can show when the best time to start doing these things is?

Thanks!

Pellets ae a waste of good money. Artifcial flavors, artificial colors ( ever see any nature show where the birds fly away from their natural food and search and seek out that famous PELLET TREE?):cool:

Veggies are very important in their diet but raw veggies need to be taken away after a few hrs because they wilt and soften and are less appealing to the bird. Having a decent seed mix in the cage 24/7 is nessecary because a parrot eats all day long when it feels like it. To a parrot, tjere's no breakfast, lunch or dinner.

Oatmeal serves as a treat, is warm and allows a bird to look forward to you coming to feed it. It should be flavored Quaker Ot has different flavors. They also sell a 10 pk that has different flavors in it. Don't worry about sugar in the oatmeal. It won't hurt the bird. Do it about 3x a wk.

Oatmeal also imitates formula concerning thickness. Obviously, your bird should have been weaned a little longer but the past is a past so don't worry about it.

Time limits on things--I can't do that because all greys are different from each other. Usually, as they get older, the only thing they have in common is the colors of their feathers

Patience, patience, patience. Talking, talking, talking. Being around the bird constantly. Let your bird be in the midst of everything. If you have children around, they should be told about polking or knocking around cages. Greys are very nervous about kids. It's not unusual for a grey to bite a child if the kid is getting the grey nervous and leery.

Handling her----she'll definitely tell you when she wants to finally involved with you. Curiosity, acting like she wants to connect with you, Hanging on the front of the door to get your attention. Once a grey gets interested, she/he will constantly show that interest to the point of being a pain in the ass. Sitting at a table or couch? She'll wanna sit there too. Sitting at a PC typing? She'll wanna come over and go on your shoulder or bite the keys. I wouldn't encourage shoulder sitting until you're totally positive that she won't nibble on your ears, jewelry, clothing, cheeks etc

Dave had a great point that a new baby will let you know, when they are ready to interact. However... you need to encourage that interaction! Open the door, read books in front of cage. Play games as well as a family in front of cage I did all my training off the door.I can't say that I have ever put my fingers in the cage.Its their domain, and I just never felt it was necessary to invade their home!

I am also a firm believer of wrist status only. A true pain in the butt... but very important. You can go on my shoulder,when we are buddies, but understand, I rule, and you dont make the rules! We have always followed the " pack" mentality. Several different species of bird and dogs...Sophie was always a leader from the start and we quickly learned she was empathetic and loved all the birds and dogs. Nancy

Thank you for all the advice! Both myself and my partner share this account. I have a question (his girlfriend here) about building trust? Babs (parrott) is fine with me, she barely growls or appears to feel threatend by me. I'm normally up first thing in the morning and take her cover off from her cage (she always greets me with being noisy and seems happy) and is often waiting by her food bowl. I feed her first before having my breakfast and then we eat at the same time. Partner is often in bed during this time. I'm normally out of the house on my way to work by the time he is getting up. Babs sees me less than she does with him, however, I always make a point of saying "mummy is going to work now, see you later!" as I'm putting my shoes on (she likes to watch) and say "I'll be back" when going out of the door. Partner is at home mostly all day with her, yet she seems to feel "threatened" by him even though he is trying to slowly build up trust with her and spend a lot of time with her. She will do some of the behaviour that he mentioned above. When I come home I always go up to her cage and say "mummy's home! Told you I'd be back!" and she's either noisy or just sits there and listens. For some reason I don't seem to get the behaviour from her that my partner does. Does anyone know why? Also, any advice on how to further bond and build trust with Babs would be great! :)

YOU... are the chosen one. Greys tend to do this. It takes alot of work on other family members to have your Grey accept them. Your boyfriend has to decide if he is committed 100%. My kids were, and when they come home from college, Sophie drops me like a " hot potato". I couldn't be prouder, that all our training has paid off. ( it was only six months of hell really) It was worth it. Sophie still won't tolerate them bringing a girl home. She will sit between them! LOL! Nancy