NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

infar red sauna

furley

Hi friends,quick ?, went to friends house the other day and he has an infar red sauna,and he was sitting in it with his gray,said he brings him in there for a couple of mins at the start 2 max, then takes him out.

I asked if he new if this was ok or not, and he didn't think it was bad.only in for a couple min max and only once in awhile,does anyone know if this can harm the bird cause I told him i well put it out to the bird group.

Thanks if any one can help.

Sorry, I am unfamiliar with an infrared sauna. It would depend upon how warm it gets in there. If there is a thermometer in there, I would look up the natural environment for our greys and not exceed the heat they would regularly be exposed to in the wild. Also, is the sauna inside or outside. It would be shocking to go from the heated sauna to an outside freezing temperature. On the other hand, if the temperatures were within the tolerance range, it would be similar to bringing them into our bathrooms while we shower. The steam which might be beneficial for moisture. I really can't answer your question except to have more questions. A call to his vet would be the most reliable way to ensure the safety of his grey. I just don't know enough about it.

Yes, I really do hope you'll ask the vet & maybe let us know what they say. Because I have no idea & have never heard anything much about this fad(?). But the only thing I could think reading that post was about my infra-red broiler oven & that wasn't a very pleasant association at all. lol

Edited by birdhouse

Yesterday, I had the occasion to learn the difference between a steam room and a sauna. The steam room was tile lined with a glass door and I certainly wouldn't take a parrot in there. The steam is activated every five minutes and it was so hot it hurt to take a breath. The sauna was lined in cedar and the purpose of being in there was to sweat, there was no steam, dry heat only. Since birds don't sweat, I can't imagine the benefit of taking one in there either. Cedar (cedar oil) are on the list of wood to avoid for our birds. So, based on this, I wouldn't understand the benefit to outweigh the risk.