NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Starting to speak.

reptoman

Zoe is becoming easier to understand. Still sounds more like croaks and whistles for the most part but I can hear the occasional word here and there. She is also starting to piece together parts of the songs I have been whisteling to her since we got her 6 months ago. Very excited to hear her saying words but with the way she enjoys her 2 hour long chattering sessions I fear there will come a day when we wish she would stop talking ;) For now the smallest speech progress is super exciting.

I loved watching your video. My CAG Gracie is now 4 years old. She was about 9 months old when she started sounding like she might talk. Lots of "words" that I couldn't quite understand but were definitely not "parrotese". Your Zoe sounds a lot like Gracie did at the same age. Between 10-14 months Gracie built a vocabulary of about 15 words. Then at 14 months it seemed like a switch went on and she started learning words, phrases, sounds, songs, etc very very quickly. She now has a vocabulary of 100s of words. The good news is that although she does have times when she chatters incessantly, she is not loud and has quiet times as well. I don't get irritated with her. It is really like hanging out with a friend and having "conversation". Most of the chatter is meaningful and not just noise, so it serves a purpose. I look forward to seeing and hearing more of Zoe's language development, She is cute. It made me think about maybe adding a TAG to my home, but I suspect Gracie would be against it and she has veto power.

I loved watching your video. My CAG Gracie is now 4 years old. She was about 9 months old when she started sounding like she might talk. Lots of "words" that I couldn't quite understand but were definitely not "parrotese". Your Zoe sounds a lot like Gracie did at the same age. Between 10-14 months Gracie built a vocabulary of about 15 words. Then at 14 months it seemed like a switch went on and she started learning words, phrases, sounds, songs, etc very very quickly. She now has a vocabulary of 100s of words. The good news is that although she does have times when she chatters incessantly, she is not loud and has quiet times as well. I don't get irritated with her. It is really like hanging out with a friend and having "conversation". Most of the chatter is meaningful and not just noise, so it serves a purpose. I look forward to seeing and hearing more of Zoe's language development, She is cute. It made me think about maybe adding a TAG to my home, but I suspect Gracie would be against it and she has veto power.

That is great to hear! Thanks Jeffnok. Its a real thrill every time I hear a portion of a song in perfect pitch. She started with the end of the song I have been teaching her and then she throws out another part entirely and sticks with that for a couple of days. Funny to see kinda how she thinks and watching her dissect the different parts of the song. (its the Andy Griffith intro.) I am hoping this amounts to the entire song in the correct sequence but even the parts she gets perfect out of sequence are so cool to hear.

Looks like she has the backup-beep down pat. I heard a cat meow there too!

Our GreycieMae has basically turned mute and I'm 100% convinced it's because she gets nearly 0 lockup time. My wife went to to work this last week for the first time since we've had Greycie and the birds had to go into lock down in their bird room during the day from ~8-5:30. They basically have to sit in their cages during the day as I can't trust they won't get into fights. Wife walked in one day and listened to them chattering and told me that Greycie was back to practicing her limited vocabulary - I'm sure it's out of sheer boredom that she resorts to this. Since we have them out in the aviary nearly all the time they do a lot of their natural wild calls constantly and can barely get any human talk out of any of them. They also mimic the crows, bluejays and other wild bird noises they hear but they won't mimic us unless we lock them up I guess.

Thanks for posting Zoe's video, I so enjoyed watching a happy baby Timneh. I thought it was way too cute at the end as she was in her own little happy world and appears as though she hears you coming. There as an "uh oh, he will hear me" moment, or Hoo boy, Daddy's coming. Either way, she is adorable and made me smile this morning.

Looks like she has the backup-beep down pat. I heard a cat meow there too!

Our GreycieMae has basically turned mute and I'm 100% convinced it's because she gets nearly 0 lockup time. My wife went to to work this last week for the first time since we've had Greycie and the birds had to go into lock down in their bird room during the day from ~8-5:30. They basically have to sit in their cages during the day as I can't trust they won't get into fights. Wife walked in one day and listened to them chattering and told me that Greycie was back to practicing her limited vocabulary - I'm sure it's out of sheer boredom that she resorts to this. Since we have them out in the aviary nearly all the time they do a lot of their natural wild calls constantly and can barely get any human talk out of any of them. They also mimic the crows, bluejays and other wild bird noises they hear but they won't mimic us unless we lock them up I guess.

Hey Steve. I should have our outdoor aviary complete when its too cold to put her out in it ;) We keep her in the cage first thing in the morning so she gets her fresh chop. She won't eat it until after its wilted otherwise. She is out in her room pretty much the rest of the day. Most of the chatter happens right after getting out of the cage in the morning when I am not training her. She will start up again shortly before she gets her pellets for dinner in the evening. I think part of the talking comes from having her own TV going all day. I got a 14" tv dvd combo for $15 on craigslist and it works great. When she is quiet I check the IP camera in her room and she is usually sitting on the tree or training perch watching TV.