NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

PetalCleanse feather cleanser ?

Mistyparrot

Does anyone here have any experience of PetalCleanse feather cleanser or AirCleanse made by Bio-Life in the UK? After 13 years, I have suddenly become sensitised to Misty"s dander.

I have tried these products today and they seem to be effective.

One is a spray containing Aloe vera and other plant extracts for spraying on Misty's feathers and the other is an air cleaning spray containing Eucalyptus and other ingredients.

My sensitization seems to be due to me inhaling mould spores whilst cleaning out some old damp magazines from storage. Since then I seem to be allergic to all kinds of dust.

With Misty, I get a strange slightly oily taste in my mouth and sensation on my face as well as a tight feeling at the back of my neck. It does not affect my breathing.

It is just a bit worrying!

Steve n Misty

Edited by Mistyparrot

Does anyone here have any experience of PetalCleanse feather cleanser or AirCleanse made by Bio-Life in the UK? After 13 years, I have suddenly become sensitised to Misty"s dander.

I have tried these products today and they seem to be effective.

One is a spray containing Aloe vera and other plant extracts for spraying on Misty's feathers and the other is an air cleaning spray containing Eucalyptus and other ingredients.

My sensitization seems to be due to me inhaling mould spores whilst cleaning out some old damp magazines from storage. Since then I seem to be allergic to all kinds of dust.

With Misty, I get a strange slightly oily taste in my mouth and sensation on my face as well as a tight feeling at the back of my neck. It does not affect my breathing.

It is just a bit worrying!

Steve n Misty

Since you already know that you have allergies to other dust collection items in the house, that should be telling you that you need to see an allergist and get tested for your problems. Lessening dander isn't gonna stop other dust collecting areas to ease up. most of the items sold for dust collections or preventative measures are usually ineffective. Another example of bullshit advertising is the companies that say that spraying on a special concoction will stop birds from screaming or screeching.

One thing you can do with the dander from your bird--------

Spray water on your bird. It will make the dander heavy. When your bird tries to shake it off, the wet dander will fall downward instead of all over the place. Wet feathers and wet dander aren't able to spread around as much as dry feathers and dander.

BUT, remember that test---you need to be checked out for allergic pathogines in your home.

Thank you, Dave. I am well aware of the need to see an allergist. This is a very recent problem and I have an appointment booked, but in the short term I need to find a way that enables me to tolerate Misty in some comfort. These products arrived today and they definitely seem to help to alleviate the symptoms. As you know allergic reactions can be very difficult to cure.

Steve n Misty

I truly feel for you! When we decided we needed to give Sunny a forever home, it was only decided when all got tested for allergies. Both kids are asthmatics and no way was I going to let them have a pet they were allergic too. ( I had a cat when I was nine that I was severely allergic too and wheezed forever!) Everyone negative including me. As you said, cleaning the old magazines, mold exposure was too much for you. Now you have chronic rhinitis due to the mold exposure. Doesn't mean your bird is making it worse. You may not be allergic at all! Do you think you have undiagnosed asthma? Do you wheeze or get short of breath at all? If you have tolerated Misty for all this time, I don't think Misty will exacerbate your symptoms but you need to take precautions until things settle down. Wear a mask when cleaning moldy areas and bird cage. Do as Dave said regarding dander. I had an ionizer machine when growing up. ( charlcoal filter), made a big difference for me. I also take an over the counter allergy medicine.

Your immune system is in overdrive! Requires a visit to your physician. For me... Zyrtec, works wonders! For you...thats up to your physician. Sometimes kids or myself have had to do low dose steroids when things have become chronic. 48 hours later....we are new human beings. You have chronic histamine release and things don't seem to be settling down. Go to your doctor, and nip it in the butt. You don't need to suffer. Its an easy fix Nancy

As I said in my original post Nancy, the reaction I have does not involve rhinitis or affect my breathing. It is unpleasant though. I can get a headache. Fortunately, it is not constant but it is more noticeable when Misty preens near me. I don't have asthma, but I do have COPD. Misty has never presented a problem previously. I was tested a couple of months ago for parrot related allergies and they were negative. The mould has definitely affected my immune response making me sensitive to all kinds of dust and some perfumes and cigarette smoke. The Air Cleanse works in a similar way to an ionizer causing the airborne particles to precipitate out of the air. But the problem with ionizers is they can produce ozone and that is not good for a parrots lungs. Air Cleanse is claimed to be bird safe. I am also using HEPA air filters.

Steve n Misty

I have year round allergies & allergy induced asthma. Mold is insidious. It gets high scores on my Richter scale. I have a Germguardian which is a UV light thingy. It does not produce ozone. I use it a few hours a day in my bedroom whenever I'm having a bad spate. Occasionally overnight. It helps me a lot. Otherwise, I tend to wake up sloppier than I went to bed & the cycle goes from bad to worse.

Also Cromolyn Sodium Solution (Nasalcrom)is OTC here. I don't know what I'd do w/o good old Vick's VapoRub & Cromolyn Sodium Solution which is a nasal spray that isn't much more than salt water. Something else that might help btw. Maybe you could ask your Doctor if any of this might be helpful for you in the short or long term.

I don't know about the PetalCleanse or AirCleanse. Guess I'm something of a purist when it comes to this type of problem. I've seen too many fads & frauds I guess.

Pure undiluted aloe juice baths would keep Misty's feathers a little sticky. Serious cleaning w/vinegar & a good steamer should help keep dander, dust mites & mold spores down around the house. It also helps to wear a drugstore mask when cleaning cages or doing some of the things that might trigger an attack.

Unless the mold is toxic, or the cause is ongoing, this should pass once your immune system gets a break. But would it hurt to talk w/an expert about the air quality in the house?

Mold totally KILLS Me! When we bought our house, it was the dryness on the basement that sold me. I can smell it. Dust, also affects me . Not Sophie for some reason. I wear a mask when dusting and seriously cleaning. I had Sean clean his room before going back to school. ACHOO! Dust is bad for him as well. I gave him a mask! ( still needed to clean his room!) LOL Nancy

An air purifier is a big help do place it on the far side of the cage from where you spend time so the dust is pulled away from you. A non ionizing unit would be best. All the other suggestions are good ones as well. Sorry it got you down my son is so allergic to mold that he even gets nose bleeds. All from moldy text books the school gave him, opened one up in class and a cloud of spoers surrounded him he was very sick after that exposure.

An air purifier is a big help do place it on the far side of the cage from where you spend time so the dust is pulled away from you. A non ionizing unit would be best. All the other suggestions are good ones as well. Sorry it got you down my son is so allergic to mold that he even gets nose bleeds. All from moldy text books the school gave him, opened one up in class and a cloud of spoers surrounded him he was very sick after that exposure.

That is not good! Has your son recovered any?

Steve n Misty