NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Let's Talk Tail!

tankaray

Haven't posted in awhile but I check in often to view posts. Got a quick question on nighttime/dreams etc. My birds are pretty regular, our Caique hits the snooze around 7:30-8 and our TAG likes to push the envelope but generally is in lock down between 8:30-9. We never hear a peep out of either one other than the occasional whistle about 3-4AM from our Caique.

FFWD to this morning about an hour before both birds are uncovered and our TAG was making some awful motion in his cage like he was trying to take off. I quickly got up, uncovered him and noticed all his tail feathers on one side are gone. When I took him out he was flying around like he tied one on last night.

He's not a plucker, and there have been no changes recently other than 7 solid days of rain (still raining)so the house is darker than normal. All of the lost tail feathers were ones slated to come out anyways, by that I mean they weren't broken and no blood supply etc. Would it be possible for him to get spooked in a manner in which he only lost tail feathers on one side? He lost 6 and he has exactly 6 remaining.

No changes in his eating, drinking or whistling today, just super affectionate most of the day.

Thanks in advance.

Dorian once took off in a startle flight and lost 5 flight feathers on one wing. They, to, were all destined to come out - no blood - but it left him unbalanced and I decided, even though he isn't a flyer, to trim the other wing to more or less match. Those trimmed feathers soon fell out. I guess what I'm saying is that sometimes a slight trauma can precipitate feather loss. I don't think it's anything to worry about. Maybe he had a nightmare and that caused the flapping about.

Dorian once took off in a startle flight and lost 5 flight feathers on one wing. They, to, were all destined to come out - no blood - but it left him unbalanced and I decided, even though he isn't a flyer, to trim the other wing to more or less match. Those trimmed feathers soon fell out. I guess what I'm saying is that sometimes a slight trauma can precipitate feather loss. I don't think it's anything to worry about. Maybe he had a nightmare and that caused the flapping about.

Thanks for the insight, like I mentioned he's not a plucker so I figured it may have just have been a bad dream. It's funny our Caique wrestles, rough houses and rolls around and never looses a feather, our poor TAG could use some pointers. He's still flying circles around the house so it didn't slow him down any.