NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Eggs

Brat Birds

I'm not sure if I am correct, and would welcome input from others, but when I make birdy bread I just wash the eggs well before cracking, mash the shells up pretty fine, and add them to the bread. I'm assuming that after they cook in the bread at 350 for 30 minutes any bacteria etc. would be killed.

Lucky you to get fresh eggs like that. I would think cooking should be all that is needed I personally do not add shells to my birdy bread. I personally know of a bird who got an injured crop after eating crushed shells in birdy bread a sharp piece punctured or scratched the interior of the crop and he was one sick bird until they did a scope to view the crop viewing the injury with a bit of shell remained.

• 2 months later...
So I made my first omelette! It was perfect and Sophie thought I did a GREAT job! Bacon, onions and cheese. She supervised and tasted. A cluck of approval! Nancy

Max points for effort & all! But, sorry to say, Nancy, bacon probably shouldn't even be people food (aren't we glad our forefathers didn't know it? lol). All those tons of salt & that wonderful fat! And it's not really that well cooked, well maybe unless you like it like my sweetie who insists his be totally burnt, ahh, extra, extra crispie. ")

Cheese to some degree, too. Also, a little goes a long way for the lactose intolerant parrot digestive system. Hard cheeses being arguably "better" than the soft (American) type.

A dollop of all natural, sugar free, probiotic yogurt on top of some egg would be a nice, healthy alternative. And a side of **very**well**cooked** fish or fowl or maybe a very well cooked beef or chicken bone w/marrow beats the socks off bacon any time. There are also many other, better proteins which are not meat or dairy.

And onions are on the toxic foods list(s). So that's something to avoid next time as well. But fear not; w/a little homework, I'm sure you'll be able to whip Sophie up a very yummy, healthy breakfast next time.

Edited by birdhouse

• 3 months later...