NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

In a Sticky Situation with My Parrot

Cookielovesme

Okay, I have this crazy problem, and I'm hoping someone can give me some insight. Someone gave me an African Grey parrot a few years ago, and it has become a member of our household. We are in a situation where we have to move back to the States from Dubai, and since I now have Cookie, my Grey, I realized there is some paperwork to do. Little did I know that I was supposed to receive paperwork with my Grey along with a ring on its foot? Basically I have no paperwork for this Grey and cannot seem to find a way to get a CITES permit to take him home with me. I am not in contact with the person that has given my Cookie, so I feel really stuck. Has anyone ever been in this situation, does anyone have any insight or solutions? Thanks in advance!

It does sound like a tricky situation. You might try contacting a Veterinary hospital perhaps one with ties to a university to ask questions and perhaps get some insight into working your way through the complications. Sometimes leg bands are removed if they get caught on toys or cage wiring or if they irritate the birds leg. Is there anyone in the state department who can help you?

Members have posted about the challenge of traveling/relocating w/their fids sometimes. I found this link somewhere along the way. I don't know if they are any kind of help where it comes to fids. But maybe they can point you in a right direction.

http://www.petrelocation.com/

However, I can't suggest strongly enough that you research, research, research, before trusting your fid to them or anyone else, though. The regs are trying to keep unhealthy birds from leaving these countries. They're also about keeping wild caught trade down. Unfortunately, anyone who has a companion parrot or two seems to get caught up in all the red tape.

KevinD has been trying to get his Sukie out of Kuwait. It's been a while since he's posted. But it might be worth shooting him a PM & reading thru his posts.

http://www.greyforums.net/forums/showthread.php?201517-The-Sukei-Saga-Continues

Also, maybe even katana600 - see post #18.

Wish you the best of luck. I really hope you get your fid home. AND I'm hoping you'll post "How to... & How Not to..." for other parronts who are looking for a way thru that nasty pile of red tape.

• 2 weeks later...

It has been a while since we lived in Dubai and much has changed. But at that time, friends had a similar situation and they went to the US military base and were able to get paperwork through them to get their grey home to the US. I have lost touch with them and have no idea where they live now. However, I do still have friends in Dubai. My friend is an American married to an Emirati, she has been there her entire adult life. Also, my nephew married an Emirati girl and they are about to go back for a visit, so I will ask them to ask her family if they have any suggestions of where you could start.