NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

I got my African Grey from a pet store in 1995 . . she has a legband

Username

Most legbands are put on by the breeder to identify when the bird was born, and who the breeder is. If they keep better records, it may tell more. But, that would be in their personal archives. Most legband information is kept only by the breeder, and useless to anyone else. When breeders die, retire, or stop breeding they destroy, or trash, their records. There are, supposedly, a few sites that can try to help find information, but, I've never been able to find them. And the info would be very basic and not of much use. Most of us have legbands removed by our vets. A better way of identifying our birds is microchipping. It's hard to tell how removed from the wild he would be, because in 1995, they were still taking them from the jungle. And still are today.

Many of our parrots are one generation away from the wild. With our first baby, his parents had been breeding for thirty years and back then they were mostly wild caught. Since you acquired your parrot twenty years ago it would make sense he is either one generation from the wild or perhaps even a wild capture himself. Was he a baby with black eyes at the time you found him, or were his eyes yellow already? I may be mistaken but I believe a ban on importation in the US was 1992. So, depending upon which country you are from chances are he is very close to his wild kin.

We also now have a rehomed Timneh African Grey. She didn't have a leg band when we got her and we have no way of knowing her age or history. Our red bellied parrot was from a pet store. They claimed she was three or four months old. We tried getting information from her leg band and discovered it was impossible.

• Sad 1

Many of our parrots are one generation away from the wild. With our first baby, his parents had been breeding for thirty years and back then they were mostly wild caught. Since you acquired your parrot twenty years ago it would make sense he is either one generation from the wild or perhaps even a wild capture himself. Was he a baby with black eyes at the time you found him, or were his eyes yellow already? I may be mistaken but I believe a ban on importation in the US was 1992. So, depending upon which country you are from chances are he is very close to his wild kin.

We also now have a rehomed Timneh African Grey. She didn't have a leg band when we got her and we have no way of knowing her age or history. Our red bellied parrot was from a pet store. They claimed she was three or four months old. We tried getting information from her leg band and discovered it was impossible.

He was a baby, I believe 4 months if I remember correctly. Black eyes.

At the time my household had two birds, one of which was a Blue Crown conure who passed away last May. He was captured in the wild about 7-10 years before my family got him in 1990. He never liked people, and because of that I wish he had the chance to go back to the wild, he was brought back to me from my folks in 2012 and it was around then that he started to let me hold him but he didn't really like it. I would wonder things about whether his flock is still out there somewhere. Then with my African Grey . . he means everything to me . . I'm very interested about his heritage so I'm also wondering if the flock he comes from is still out there . . I wonder how far from his bloodline his closest wild relative is

It would be wonderful to know more about our feathered friends. We know so little about Miss Gilbert and Java. I get what you mean about your conure. It is a double edged sword that once we draw close and see the intelligence and ability of our parrots, there are many times I wonder if I am doing enough for them to create a stimulating and interesting life for them. It's nice that you were able to spend more time with him after he spent so many years in your parent's home. I wish you luck in finding anything about your grey's background and extended flock.