NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Erm can someone explain this new behaviour?> :)

QWERTY_

Hello

so we went for a holiday for 3 weeks and left Rio in care of two of our friends that he is familiar with. Everything went OK ( as in the biggest fear of plucking did not happen :) )

|But from day one after us coming back Rio has picked me? as a bonded person? and every time I take him he does this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ii57hZ88mok He pants,wheezes makes weird noises and keeps trying to regurgitate something but never does ( usually just eats it himself :D :D )

Before he was ok with both of us taking him petting him etc. now only I can take him and my wife cannot he bites her straight away.

Also when he is just out and about he sits somewhere and stares at me for 20-30 mins without moving (kinda creepy) :)

so what have changed ? what to do? if this is sexual maturity hitting him how long will it last? what to do? how to react>? yeh ?

and what about my wife she cant even touch him now :) although before we both had equal rights to take him play with him :) he would sit on both of our laps etc...

He is about 14-16 months old.

Any advice/info/suggestions would be appreciated :)

Hello

so we went for a holiday for 3 weeks and left Rio in care of two of our friends that he is familiar with. Everything went OK ( as in the biggest fear of plucking did not happen :) )

|But from day one after us coming back Rio has picked me? as a bonded person? and every time I take him he does this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ii57hZ88mok He pants,wheezes makes weird noises and keeps trying to regurgitate something but never does ( usually just eats it himself :D :D )

Before he was ok with both of us taking him petting him etc. now only I can take him and my wife cannot he bites her straight away.

Also when he is just out and about he sits somewhere and stares at me for 20-30 mins without moving (kinda creepy) :)

so what have changed ? what to do? if this is sexual maturity hitting him how long will it last? what to do? how to react>? yeh ?

and what about my wife she cant even touch him now :) although before we both had equal rights to take him play with him :) he would sit on both of our laps etc...

He is about 14-16 months old.

Any advice/info/suggestions would be appreciated :)

Your grey is reverting back to when it was handfed and also showing that it wants certain areas rubbed. Very bad idea to give in and start that rubbing no matter how old a grey is---chick, adolescent, adult. It could cause a bird to bite especially in adolecense and adulthood.

Right now, your bird is nearing sexual awareness

Greys don't mature sexually until they're approx. 5 to 6 yrs old

When an older grey ( approx. up to 3 to 5 yrs old) does what your bird is doing in the vid, the bird wants sexual areas rubbed which is a very bad idea no matter how old any grey is.

As far as your wife, greys will temporarily pick out one person from another person and takes to that person. It's hard to say how long it will last ( 2, 3, wks) but it eventually goes away. Why did it happen? That's impossible to answer because greys will do that for many reasons. People can tell you it happened because of a certain reason but that doesn't mean that the same reason applies to your bird.

What to do? How to act? Walk away. Right now, petting the head is fine--no other areas. That behavior soon lessens.

Your wife? she should hand feed different favorite treats without touching or rubbing your bird. Nuts are very appealing. Eventually, your bird will be more relaxed with her but it may take time. Things will eventually go back to where it was.

BUT, understand that your bird may be starting to pick out a favorite person and if he is, it's very important for both of you to be involved with the bird all the time.

Edited by Dave007

Just have your wife suck up a little right now. You know, sit by the cage and talk, feed favourite treats, read a children's book, introduce favourite toys (don't put them in the cage if that is going to generate a bite.) Just don't give him an opportunity to bite. Be hands off, but don't let him drive her away. Let him decide to let her back in to his good graces. Sorry this happened, but glad you had a chance to get away.

Dave and Acappella said it all! Three weeks is a long time for a grey. I also would encourage activities away from the cage. You to have bird stepup during a family game, then " handoff' bird to your wife. Sophie LOVES family games, and learned to stepup to other family members thru our interactions and games. She also got smart... who was losing, who was winning, and she was doing alot of stepping up and down anticipating the winning team. LOL! They are pretty smart birds. Nancy