NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Is this an okay way to take your bird out on a lead?

PEA

Hi there,

I have just noticed a photo of a bird with a metal lead attached to his foot ring... I never thought of doing this, my parrot hasn't had her wings clipped and she won't wear a harness. Should I try this ?

parrot foot lead.jpg

I wouldn't, the only thing you should use is a harness and the best one is the Aviator, that metal chain could easily break the bird's leg if startled and he/she tried to fly away. If your grey won't wear a harness then the only way to take your bird outside for some fresh air is in a travel cage.

It takes a while to get the birdy used to the harness. Even ultra-tame hand fed babies like mine put up one hell of a fight the first time they are introduced to being harnessed. As a prey animal their normal instinct will be to fight that harness. It can takes weeks to months to get it accomplished but I find it very rewarding to be able to take them with me outside. Worth a try - the aviator has very good instructions to adapt a birdy to their harness.

No! Injury to the birds leg, will happen! I'm working on " planning" the harness. Getting ready to do it. ( Sophie is gonna be soooo annoyed!) BUT... she wants to be with us all the time, and the harness is the only way. Sean and I were opening the pool today, Sophie sitting in her favorite chair by the sliding door, yelling ROM.... SEAN... HELLO!Sean says no... I say " why not". He points out Hawk attacks... if we lose her, its my fault! Nancy

Years ago, there were no bird harnesses, and this is how parrots were restrained. When I began taking in birds, 45 years ago, it was not frowned upon .I've had several birds that were "ringed", which is what that used to be called. My other Grey that I inherited, was ringed. I've also had a Mynah, a Quaker, and 2 conures that were all ringed. It's considered unpopular, and even cruel nowadays. But, much of the rest of the world restrains birds this way. None of my ringed birds ever had a problem. I took them all out on walks, and everywhere, with their leashes attached. It is up to the guardian to be sure that there is room for growth, and no abrading of the leg, etc. It is possible to have mishaps and accidents, like with anything else restraining. A good guardian will ensure that it is safe and properly fit. I an NOT recommending this, but, in my experience, it is not as dangerous as people seem to think. My Grey had a metal "8" on his leg (one part on his leg, the other for the leash) for almost 50 years, without any problem. As I said, (I don't want any grief from my colleagues here) I do not recommend this. I just want people to know that it's not as bad some think. I does all depend on the guardian's care & diligence.