NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

New African Grey

Shaun777

Hello and welcome to the family, Shaun, glad you could join us, we look forward to hearing more about you and this new grey.

My you did purchase a baby, 5 weeks old, I only hope you have experience with hand feeding a grey baby, if you don't know what you are doing you could do great harm. I would suggest you contact the breeder you got the grey from for some information, I know you would not want anything to happen to this precious addition to your family.

Please read thru our many threads here for lots of useful and helpful information, some of it regarding hand feeding babies, it may answer some of your questions.

If you have a photo of your new baby you would like to share with us please do, we would love to see him/her.

Have you given this grey a name yet?

Welcome Shaun!!!

Wow, that is a VERY YOUNG baby Grey you purchased.

Your Grey will receive all the fluids it needs from the formula mixture. I assume you are feeding it something like Katee Exact at around 40 - 60 cc each feeding?

You can start laying veggies and fruit pieces in front of him to experiment and try out around 8 to 10 weeks old.

Is this the first Parrot you have ever hand fed? Did your breeder give you complete instructions on how tho administer each feeding and proper clean of the feeding utensils?

Hand-feeding a baby is something only experienced or trained individuals would normally do.

I wish you the best with your new baby Grey. :-)

5greywelcome.gif

Please take that baby back to the breeder and have them finish feeding it for you. Or find an experinced handfeeder that well do it for you. Maybe the local bird club well know someone or you can try the avain vet in your area.

Even after 11 years of handfeding I still lose one ever now and again it is not easy thing to do.

Good Luck

Thanks all

Her name is Nakita, I will post a pic soon.

She is adorable. I am handfeeding her 3 times a day

6am,1pm,7pm

I was told exactly what to do. how much to feed etc.

I have a little bib which she wears when I feed her. She is starting to get used to her environment.

Yesterday i had her on the bed with me and she walked to me and extended her neck and placed it on my arm and closed her eyes.

Her feet are still too big for her body, but she is still getting used to them.

Awwww, how cute is that :-)

Cherish those touching moments, they are too short and only occur once. Unless you are planning on getting more baby Greys ;-)

Thanks for the additional info on the feeding. We'll look forward to hearing of her progress and seeing some photos.