NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

What Does This Mean?

chezron

You know how the feathers on a Grey's head all lay down, but sometimes only the top of the head feathers are down, and further back there is a ridge of feathers standing up? What does that mean? I am thinking it is not a good thing. I have attached a photo. The photo shows the whole neck fluffed up, but I am talking about is mainly just the head feathers, further back.

attachment.php?attachmentid=26306&stc=1

Congo-African-Greys-07.jpg

You know how the feathers on a Grey's head all lay down, but sometimes only the top of the head feathers are down, and further back there is a ridge of feathers standing up? What does that mean? I am thinking it is not a good thing. I have attached a photo that shows this. The photo shows the whole neck fluffed up, but I am talking about is mainly just the head feathers, further back. Do you know what I mean? Brutus was doing this with his feathers when a friend of mine came over. He even stuck his foot out like he wanted to be picked up. I warned her that this could be a trick and not to fall for it. Anyway I am just curious what you think. He generally never wants to step up for any new person.

I believe it is an aggressive posture. We see this all the time just before Greycie will attempt a blatant attack on Toby.

Here's another shot of the same posture, although the head feathers are not perfectly flat. As you can see, the Caique is NOT being welcomed into the club house. Not sure if there is a difference between the two. Greycie does both and they never turn out well for her displeasured target.

AggressiveLook.jpg

Yes! This is a look we have seen way too often in the ever evolving Miss Gilbert. Usually it is a warning "be careful, Gil's looking owly". Gracie has the classic look in that photo that I would call Gil's 'stink eye". Whoa, both of these photos give me that uneasy feeling like nothing good is coming next. Recently I see this look when she gets on the stair steps to give her honey the come hither but he is detained and I come instead to bring her back downstairs. Interesting now that I think of it... he never brings her down but gets real busy when its time so he doesn't get on the receiving end of that look.

Wow, Bongo does this when he gets relaxed, he fluffs, shakes himself out and raises a foot, grinds his beak a bit then, ahhh, but the feathers stay fluffed on his head. When the others do that fluff they lower their head along with it and I know they are warning me

When I look at Greycie's photo, I think having some head feathers raised is different in emotional content. It seems everything about Grey body language is subtle, but i do think you are right and that it is aggressive.

Interesting how we all have different opinions, or what our birds do. Sophie does this all the time. Her being happy and content! I think you need to test the waters! When is he doing it! I hope your friend took the challenge! Not that I would ever want my friend to get bit.... but they are always game to make friends with Sophie Nancy