NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

13 yr old female laid egg, need advice

Melody

The loose bowel movement is normal as well as any extra fluids which a hen usually coats the egg with. The oozing lasts about a week. It's not noticeable. Some hens will do what yours did. Most of the time there's really no positive reason other than surrounding items that cause stimulation. If everything is the same as it was before she laid the egg, then blame it on nature. Her age makes her very sexually mature. Certain species of parrots will lay eggs for no reason ( ex-cockatiels) and it's usually a full clutch and it usually hurts the vent area. It's good that you're taking the bird to the vet. He/she can examine the vent area and check for any possible damage or tearing. Just know that sometimes this happens. Good luck. Let us know what happens. Try to feel better.<br><br>Post edited by: MrSpock, at: 2007/11/14 04:28

I don't think there much to worry about I have a mature amazon she is 10 yrs old and when she gets hormonal she gets that slimey stuff coming out of her vent snd she kicks at it an looks but shes healthy and I almost expect her to lay an egg one of these days just make sure she gets lot of calcium because producing eggs depletes the calcium in their bodys extra cheese and egg shells in their scrambled eggs stuff like that will really help aspeicialy with Greys they need more calcium than other birds. You don't want her to get egg bound.

Goodmorning_Patricia-9e269bd6f9a771ea35b1ef21439f7474.jpg<br><br>Post edited by: Tycos_mom, at: 2007/11/12 09:52

Goodmorning_Patricia-9e269bd6f9a771ea35b1ef21439f7474.jpg

Hi all and thanks for those who commented. Update, 1st egg was Thursday and another one Monday. Poor bird. The vent is sort of sloppy so vet appt is Weds. afternoon. She's acting normal, eating good and all. I have learned alot but not really liking it. Love my birds! This female is so smart and has quite a vocab.

What an experience Melody.

Thanks for starting this topic, as it is also helping many of us come to a good understanding of what's happening and the steps we should take when a Grey female starts to lay some eggs.

Good luck at the vet and keep us updated. :-)

Update, only 2 eggs. They were 4 days apart. The bird actually laid the eggs very easily - no struggling although I learned they can take up to 24 hours to come out. I am thankful - I put her on my lap for 5 minutes, she tipped her head down, and plop--out it came. She's back to normal - vent cleared up - it was a week yesterday.