NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Any Ideas?

Acappella

Can anyone think of any way I can teach Dorian to chew wooden toys? It would open up a whole world of toys for him if he knew that he's supposed to chew them. I've tried making toys with both wood and his beloved cardboard hoping he'd accidently beak a piece of wood but no luck. I just worry about him getting bored. He can destroy cardboard toys so fast. I'd love him to get hooked on a different material that would last a little longer and be more of a challenge. BTW, he does chew furniture. Very rarely, but it has happened. He's a mystery, my boy. lol

Wood isn't really Kura's favorite thing, either. For years, it was all loofah, grass mats, paper, cardboard & the like. Eventually, I got everyone reed-like baskets to fill w/foraging stuff. I "knew" Kura's would last pretty much forever & expected the others would get demolished pretty quickly. But she surprised me.

Since then, I've found she really enjoys destroying things like reed, rattan, grape vine, & certain soft woods like balsa/posicle sticks. Not pine though. She was especially fond of a hanger that was just birch disks w/the bark still on. Come to think of it, I should find & refill that. Thanks for the reminder.

Ekkies don't have strong, sharp bills & most, Kura included, do not like to eat w/their feet. So nuts in the shell aren't her thing at all. But they might be Dorian's.

A little humorous but do let him see you enjoy playing with the wooden stuff and "attempt to keep it away from him". Grey bird see Grey bird might do as in they always want what we have food, phones, computer keyboards I could go on.

We started Gil on parakeet size toys, wafer thin bits of wood, shredded paper, acrylic baubles, adding machine paper tape. Something that really got her interest in chewing was birdie cabobs. I believe they are made from cactus. Its softer than balsa wood. Another toy that caught her interest was a wooden bean pot on a chain we picked up at a bird fair. I found a photo online to show you what I mean. I would hide almonds and other things in the bean pot and over time she got the idea to chew the lid. She is still a little timid with toys. Like you say about Dorian, if she would take an interest it would open up her world and give her more activities. They are going to take their sweet time but some days we just happen to hit upon the right toy on the right day. Ah heaven, to please the little grey minds.

bean pot.jpg