NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

MY GREY

Bronxboomer

I have a Grey which is 8 months old I plan on buying a big king cage stainless steal Dimensions:

1.25 " bar spacing

4.5 mm stainless steel bars

28” deep x 42" long x 66" high(cage body 52").

Now i also getting a new parrot which is a Yellow Naped Amazon he is 5 months old still a baby now i would like to have both of my birds in the cage together what steps do i have to take in order for these birds not to fight.

Hi Bronxboomer,

You can not stop them from fighting if they chose to do so. I think you will find your 8 month Grey is very protective of HIS Home (Cage).

I do not know of anyone that would ever recommend putting two Parrots in the same Cage unless they are a known breeder "Pair".

Your first step when bringing a new Parrot home is in seeing IF you can even have them out of the Cages at the same time.

It is more likely that you could NOT have them together than that you could have them together. These birds are different species and maintain quite different flocks in the wild. The African Greys are "1 species flocks" meaning in the wild there are 100's of these birds flocking together w/o any other birds. Its how they forage, protect each other etc. The South American parrots are "multi species flock" birds, meaning in the wild you will see many different birds in the same flock (yellow napes, blue fronts, macaws etc) all together.

Due to these inherent differences, it is not likely that you will find them to be overly friendly with one another. Not to say it cannot happen, but you need to be really careful. Most people that do have more than 1 bird only allow them out together under close supervision and there are horror stories of one bird severly hurting or even killing another. You need to be really careful and I would not presume that you would ever be able to have them out together, let alone in the same cage.

I have my Grey 2 feet away from my conures and that fine as long as everyone minds their own business and they do the conures are rigt next to each other so they can interact together they are friends one is a Green cheek and the other a fiery shouldered the Grey is on the same wall but there is a 2 foot space between the cages. my Amazon i keep in a different room I know she would probubly really hurt my conures if they got anywhere near her one day I had Sprout (GCC) on my shoulder while I was feeding Fergie(YCA) she says to me Pretty little lovebird I said yes pretty little bird she said fergie see lovebird so I moved a little closer She lunge to bite Sprout I moved really quick and told her she was a bad girl to try to hurt the little bird. she said pretty little love bird. To say the least I keep them apart Fergie and I have a very speicial relationship and she gets jealous of the other birds. My grey really doesn't seem to mind having the conures around she never trys to hurt them and they all have playstands on top of their cages where the hangout for hours two feet away from each other.

Nice_to_Chat_Patricia-34783f96986b7d3f7ef96701ae5b444c.jpg

Nice_to_Chat_Patricia-34783f96986b7d3f7ef96701ae5b444c.jpg