NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Parrot Confidential

Our local PBS station re-ran this the other night & will have it on their website for a little while, anyway. Thought I'd post the link for anyone who hasn't already seen it.

"From the wilds of Costa Rica to suburban America, a lovable, quirky cast of parrots will reveal their unforgettable tales and the bittersweet world they share with humans. Nature explores the difficulties of raising parrots."

EDIT - the originally ref'd server apparently opted to purge this much earlier than was announced. But I 've found another listing that as of this posting, says it will be available until Nov 2017.

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/nature/parrot-confidential-parrot-confidential/8496/

Edited by birdhouse

Our local PBS station re-ran this the other night & will have it on their website for a little while, anyway. Thought I'd post the link for anyone who hasn't already seen it.

"From the wilds of Costa Rica to suburban America, a lovable, quirky cast of parrots will reveal their unforgettable tales and the bittersweet world they share with humans. Nature explores the difficulties of raising parrots."

http://video.pbs.org/video/2365119731/

Thanks for posting the link

I've seen the vid before and it should be on top of everyone's list to see. It's gonna explain lot from people hands on people

I had the chance to watch it this time. When I saw Fagan come out of the dog kennel, covered with nicotine, in rough condition, I noticed how quickly he made up with his foster home. That was the moment I realized I took in a difficult case with Miss Gilbert. Or maybe she watched it and thought to herself how she got a difficult case to be matched with me.

Fred fred the Elanora or medium Sulfer Crested came to me coated in nicotine as well. He is our self mutilator and had been in several homes the one before he was rescued was a crack house. After all he has been through including 2 surgeries to close his chest he is a very sweet interactive and loveable bird who adapted very quickly to both his rescue home and then ours. Smart and they obviously have survival skills even in our sometimes twisted people world. So many sad stories out there and there are not enough spaces for all the birds looking for shelter just like dogs, cats, horses and people. There are birds with triumphant stories of success as well, thanks to all those who adopt recycled Parrots of any size and background and most of all those who run and support the good rescues and Sanctuaries.

• 3 weeks later...

The expiration date on PBS' website is November 13, 2017. Going to try to keep bumping this thread occasionally to keep it visible.

Maybe by encouraging people to watch, there will be a few less sad stories & a few more happy endings. Hope so, anyway.

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you so much for posting this video. I think this video is a must watch for any person who wants to have a parrot in his/her house. I am happy that I did not buy a bird and I rescued one. Hopefully I can give Alex a real home that he will love and enjoy to live for rest of his life.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'd have started a new thread in "Rescue Bird Haven". But I thought this might do just as much good here.

This is a group/site that's new to me & I haven't had time to do any homework, yet. Is anyone familiar with birdadoption.org?

"Captive birds are now facing an epidemic of overpopulation and homelessness.

There are not enough homes — especially good homes — for every bird!

Thousands of birds are displaced each year simply because their caretakers can no longer provide the time and attention they require — either because they were not educated about the commitment that bird care demands or because their lives and interests change. Many of the larger species can live 40-80 years and often outlive their caretakers. Other parrots are rescued from living in uncaring, neglectful, or abusive situations.

Birds are Wild at Heart!

Even when bred in captivity, parrots and other exotic birds are not domesticated animals; they are the native species of other countries, and all their inherent behavioral and physical needs (to fly and to flock, for example) remain intact.

Like other exotic wild animals, captive parrots display natural instincts, needs, and behaviors—crucial for survival in their native habitats—that are not considered desirable “pet” qualities. The realities and difficulties of living with a parrot cause many unprepared caretakers to become disenchanted and seek to rid themselves of the responsibility of providing lifetime care.

What Happens to Unwanted Captive Birds.

Many unwanted birds become victims of neglect or abuse; they are banished to basements, passed from home to home, relinquished to shelters, abandoned or set free to fend for themselves, or euthanized. Others end up in breeding facilities that are little more than warehouses in which birds are held in barren cages for mass production.

The lucky ones end up in shelters that carefully screen and educate potential adopters, or in sanctuaries where they can choose to enjoy the companionship of humans and live among other birds. Such quality shelters and sanctuaries are filling up fast!

How You Can Help! Don’t Buy, Don’t Breed, ADOPT!

You can help solve this problem by not breeding birds and by adopting a displaced bird rather than buying one from a pet store or breeder — but only if you are ready to make a lifetime care commitment. There are many birds in captivity who cannot be returned to the wild and need our care.

Spreading the word about bird overpopulation and adoption to your fellow bird lovers will help thousands of displaced parrots find knowledgeable, well-prepared homes —or in special health or behavior cases, to be placed into sanctuaries to live out their lives on their own terms.

A final word…

Captive birds cannot be returned to the wild since they do not possess the learned skills necessary to survive; nor can they be set free to fend for themselves.

We have an ethical responsibility to provide the best care possible for those living in captivity. Birds deserve the same efforts to promote public education, protective legislation, sheltering, and placement afforded to domestic pets and other wild animals. "

http://www.birdadoption.org/problem.htm

Edited by birdhouse

• 2 months later...

I wanted to put this back into view as tis the season & all. First & maybe foremost, with the hope it will make some less-than-informed parrot buyers think twice before they impulsively bring home that cute little Christmas birdie.

Maybe it will inspire folks to donate to a rescue that they are already aware of or someplace new like "our own" Marden's Ark ;) for instance

http://www.avianrefuge.org /index.php?page=contact

And I'm hoping maybe it just might open the soon to be new owner's hearts to the potential joy & rewards of taking in that slightly more experienced fid. A bird doesn't have to be damaged to be in need. And you might turn out to be just what they needed.

http://bird.rescueme.org/blog