NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Weird question about science and biology

Echo's Mom

The other day I was talking to my 8 year old nephew about Echo and how she's such a great parrot. My sister (his mom) chimes in that not all parrots are nice (giving me the evil eye LOL - he really wants one!).

And he says, well can't we just get one from a really good breeder like Marion did with Kyleigh? (Kyleigh is my dog who comes from a phenomenal breeder of GSDs). I had explained to him in easy to understand language about how they can breed certain traits of dogs (I was trying to explain that just because it's a "pitbull / GSD" it wasn't aggressive - my sister is not a dog fan either!)

So here's my weird question, because quite frankly, I was stumped, and I've been thinking about it.

Is it possible?

If yes, what would it entail, and if not, how come? (My thinking is because they are hatched LOL!)

Keep it simple LOL I need to to understand it enough to explain to my nephew because I can guarantee you he's going to ask me again!

thanks!

Interesting thread...I'm sure you'll get lots of opinions. I will say, that I think it's how they are raised by their parrots (us) that really determines their behavior....any animal I believe falls into that category . That being said...I bought my Amazon when she was 6 mos from a very reputable bird store...when I called them to follow up with her weight like they requested, I commented on how smart and talkative and sweet she seemed to be. They then told me that they only got their amazons from one breeder as her amazons are known for their talking and calm demeanor ...they told me where she was bred and from, turns out it was a breeder from South Carolina, and that they are very picky as to the reputation of the breeders they use for all their birds....they find a good one and they stick with that one.....so.....there you have it...my experience.

Good point Talon! I wish I knew if genetics DOES play a role in things. Of course, enviroment, family interaction matters most.... but we see so many good parents that deal with biting, self mutilation, and there is no explanation. I always favor enviroment, but I have had too many conversations with good parents on this site, that I know it wasn't the home.For me.... its a " toss of the coin!" Some birds have no issues, some have many, and the enviroment is the same! Hmmmmm Nancy

The other day I was talking to my 8 year old nephew about Echo and how she's such a great parrot. My sister (his mom) chimes in that not all parrots are nice (giving me the evil eye LOL - he really wants one!).

And he says' date=' well can't we just get one from a really good breeder like Marion did with Kyleigh? (Kyleigh is my dog who comes from a phenomenal breeder of GSDs). I had explained to him in easy to understand language about how they can breed certain traits of dogs (I was trying to explain that just because it's a "pitbull / GSD" it wasn't aggressive - my sister is not a dog fan either!)

So here's my weird question, because quite frankly, I was stumped, and I've been thinking about it.

Is it possible?

If yes, what would it entail, and if not, how come? (My thinking is because they are hatched LOL!)

Keep it simple LOL I need to to understand it enough to explain to my nephew because I can guarantee you he's going to ask me again!

thanks![/quote']

Well actually it's not possible as far as traits of dogs and traits of parrots. There's 2 reasons

1--- most all of the wildness has been taken out of dogs. They're now classified as domestic. That goes for cats too.That's taken hundreds of years. Loads and loads of successful methods have been used. There's only maybe 3 or 4 breeds of dogs that will always be wiild-----wolves, wild dogs of Africa, coyotes and hyenas.

2----All parrots, no matter how long a person has one, are wild animals and will remain so even though it's a pet. It doesn't matter how old they are and how long they've been pets. If a parrot should happen to escape and fly away, it's one of the most difficult animals to retrieve. The smell of the wild is in the air.

One major thing that can make a difference in the way a parrot is starts when it's a baby. It all has to do with feeding. The ideal situation------a baby parrot is left with the parents for about 3 wks instead of being immediately taken away from the parents. The owner of those babies starts a feeding program which allows the chick to wean from the formula at it's own pace. A grey that's in that situation is gonna make for a calmer bird, a healthier bird and more accepting of a new situation in which that same technique. This should continue in a new owner/s house. In other words, allow the bird to be the one to judge when amounts of formula or sft mushy food is no longer appealing. Also, immediately intergrating that bird into the whole family structure allows the bird to develop a certain like for this person, a certain like for that person. A bird should be a big part of the family even though it has wings.

Edited by Dave007

Add Dingos and Raccoon Dogs to your list please Dave. Living with 6 Greys all from different backgrounds and expepriences each one is unique. Anyone can rub Smartee Pants head but he only really loves my youngest son, Pookie and Whisper dote on me but Pookie will interact with most people can bite and will defend her cage. Smokey Joe is nervous high strung a wonderful talker and can be depended upon to bite most of us but he adores our middle son. Our guest Greys Nikki and Princess are great talkers solicit head rubs which Princess enjoys and Nikki just wants to lure you in for a tissue sample removal.

Add Dingos and Raccoon Dogs to your list please Dave. Living with 6 Greys all from different backgrounds and expepriences each one is unique. Anyone can rub Smartee Pants head but he only really loves my youngest son, Pookie and Whisper dote on me but Pookie will interact with most people can bite and will defend her cage. Smokey Joe is nervous high strung a wonderful talker and can be depended upon to bite most of us but he adores our middle son. Our guest Greys Nikki and Princess are great talkers solicit head rubs which Princess enjoys and Nikki just wants to lure you in for a tissue sample removal.

You're right. Forgot them too. There's also a wild one that's in the North Pole but I don't remember the name.

Thanks all, and to Dave! That's pretty much what I thought, but am no longer 20 when I thought I knew everything, and it's always good to double check LOL

We've done so much manipulation with dog breeds that I'm sure even the dogs are confused!

You can certainly breed for a "Tameness" gene. It has in fact been done with the arctic fox in Russia. The thing with parrots is that they live so long and it takes many generations and so it would take hundreds of years. Our parrots are currently only ever one or two generations removed from the wild so they are free from such human maniplulations. On that same note they have not been "ruined" by breeding either which means you have basically the same gene crap shoot in your parrot weather you go to a "good" breeder or adopt a rescue. the only difference we can effect is in their environment. Just like humans a well adjusted individual requires a stable upbringing.