NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Microchipping

neoow

I've had Alfie for coming up to 12 years now and I'm pretty sure that he's not microchipped. It's certainly not something I've had done at the vets and I doubt the breeder/pet store did it before I got him. (I got him at 11 weeks old)

I need to book him in to the vets soon anyway as I need to get his beak looked at again so I was planning on asking the vet about getting him microchipped.

Is this a fairly straight forward procedure? My cats are chipped and I know it didn't take long/wasn't at all complicated. Is it much and much the same for parrots?

I've had Alfie for coming up to 12 years now and I'm pretty sure that he's not microchipped. It's certainly not something I've had done at the vets and I doubt the breeder/pet store did it before I got him. (I got him at 11 weeks old)

I need to book him in to the vets soon anyway as I need to get his beak looked at again so I was planning on asking the vet about getting him microchipped.

Is this a fairly straight forward procedure? My cats are chipped and I know it didn't take long/wasn't at all complicated. Is it much and much the same for parrots?

About the only think about is to find out if your vet has done birds before. There's a certain way of doing it and for the vet that has had experience, it's no big deal. The insertion takes about 1 minute and the bird feels little no pain. Then the vet checks it out with an external reader. They just squawk a lot because the vet is a stranger.

My greys are both microchipped and have been since I purchased them when they were months old. When I first got them I took them in to their avian vet for a wellness check and they were microchipped then. They have never reacted to the chips and the avian vet could scan them whenever I want. They also have been registered with Homeagain, just in case. Having Ana Grey and Sterling Gris microchipped has given me peace of mind. If they escape, I know that if they are taken to a veternarian, the chips will be found. Ana Grey is 7 years old and Sterling Gris 4 years old.

• Haha 1

Thanks Dave. I'll have a chat with the vet about it. He's an avian vet and the only one that I trust to handle Alfie. I'm hoping he's had experience and has done it before but I'll definitely double check beforehand.

There is another avian vet who is closer but I don't trust him at all. I wasn't very happy when he looked at Alfie's beak and gassed him before he'd even try to do anything. Poor Alfie was out of sorts for the rest of the day after that ordeal. The vet I have been taking him to ever since then is much better. He doesn't gas him when dealing with his beak and Alfie is always calm and collected when he comes back out. No gas used either. So I'd much rather take him to his regular vet rather than try the other one again. There's not many avian vets around my area unfortunately so I'm glad to have found such a good one!

My greys are both microchipped and have been since I purchased them when they were months old. When I first got them I took them in to their avian vet for a wellness check and they were microchipped then. They have never reacted to the chips and the avian vet could scan them whenever I want. They also have been registered with Homeagain, just in case. Having Ana Grey and Sterling Gris microchipped has given me peace of mind. If they escape, I know that if they are taken to a veternarian, the chips will be found. Ana Grey is 7 years old and Sterling Gris 4 years old.

Oops sorry, you must have posted whilst I was responding to Dave's post!

Thanks for that, it's useful to know.

It just suddenly dawned on me that I'd never had it done and it would be a very good idea to get it done if I can! Whilst I'm always super paranoid about doors and windows (I have two indoor cats as well so have to be careful about them getting out too) accidents can so easily happen and if Alfie got out I'd be devastated.

Thanks Dave. I'll have a chat with the vet about it. He's an avian vet and the only one that I trust to handle Alfie. I'm hoping he's had experience and has done it before but I'll definitely double check beforehand.

There is another avian vet who is closer but I don't trust him at all. I wasn't very happy when he looked at Alfie's beak and gassed him before he'd even try to do anything. Poor Alfie was out of sorts for the rest of the day after that ordeal. The vet I have been taking him to ever since then is much better. He doesn't gas him when dealing with his beak and Alfie is always calm and collected when he comes back out. No gas used either. So I'd much rather take him to his regular vet rather than try the other one again. There's not many avian vets around my area unfortunately so I'm glad to have found such a good one!

Gassing is a thing of the past when it comes to minor procedures. Everything you're talking about are minor proceduires. A local ansesthic is only given when major proceduires Go with the man you trust. Just make sure he knows what he's doing. Stay away from vets that are still into gas. I've heard of lots of serious problems have occurred and some vets won't refund your money ( here in the US). Usually, they're just a bunch of shitheads.

After several recent hurricanes, I've volunteered with the SPCA to care for, and return, lost pets. The only animals we had trouble locating their guardians were not microchipped. That's dogs, cats horses, and birds. Returning microchipped animals involved just scanning, and calling their guardians. The microchip is as small as a small grain of rice, placed under the skin, in an appropriate place by the vet. They are well worth the cost, minimal stress, and owner anxiety.

• Haha 1

The vet wanted to put my greys to sleep but I told them no. They now do not put the parrots to sleep. The procedure is so simple they don't believe it is now necessary. To me the problems that could arise from putting parrots to sleep are more than not.

• Haha 1

I'd love to see pics of your bengals neoow. I've always wanted one!

20140819_221750.jpg

Here you go!

I have a spotty boy called Widget and a marbled girl called Pixel. They're about 4 years old now.

I've never been much of a cat fan- always preferred dogs. I can't have a dog because it would be alone 8+ hours a day so we got two bengals instead. They are like no other cat I have ever known. They are loyal, affectionate and totally bonkers! I keep them both indoors and they need lots of space to run and climb. They often get a case of "the zoomies" and run as fast as they can round the house for about 15 minutes at a time. Sounds like a herd of elephants stampeding up and down the stairs.

They both love fuss and attention and will yowl the house down if they don't get it when they want it. Nothing is sacred with them about- so no plants, ornaments or anything that you don't want them to stick their faces/paws into!

They are both total loons but so much fun. They definitely keep us on our toes!!

2015-04-04 20.55.00.jpg

2015-04-05 09.32.18.jpg

2015-04-05 09.32.59.jpg

All pets should be microchipped for you own peace of mind and their safety. Misty is chipped. It was quick and he was totally untroubled by the insertion. I should say that the first chip became lost or failed when tested a year later. The vet thinks it was accidently pulled too close to the surface when the injector was pulled out so it is worth having your chipped bird rescanned one in a while.

Steve n Misty

Beautiful cats! I've always wanted one, and probably will when my current cat population declines. I have four house cats, but two are over 15 years old. I hate to think about it, but I know they are already well past their average lifespans :( At any rate, I can see a Bengal in my future! I worked with a guy who had one. He said his would jump from floor level to the top bunk of a set of bunk beds he had with no effort at all. I can certainly see what you mean when you said you can't let them be out at the same time as your grey!

Beautiful cats! I've always wanted one, and probably will when my current cat population declines. I have four house cats, but two are over 15 years old. I hate to think about it, but I know they are already well past their average lifespans :( At any rate, I can see a Bengal in my future! I worked with a guy who had one. He said his would jump from floor level to the top bunk of a set of bunk beds he had with no effort at all. I can certainly see what you mean when you said you can't let them be out at the same time as your grey!

They are awesome cats but you do need to be careful when mixing them with other cats. They have lots of energy and can be relentless- so they need another cat which can keep up with them as they play quite rough and can end up bullying/scaring other cats.

I don't trust either of them with Alfie- they show a lot of interest in him as it is and I imagine that Widget in particular would be able to pluck Alfie right out of the air as he's so agile and can jump really high.