NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Looking for a sleep/roost cage for my CAG.

Lullx

Hello!

I'm bringing home my baby congo grey this summer, and am still setting everything up for the little one.

I have a large day cage already, but want a smaller cage specifically for roosting at night. I'm a bit of an insomniac and want my love to be able to sleep soundly in another room. The roost cage will also be used as a travel cage, ideally. So I'd need it to be able to fit in the back seat of a standard car (I do have a carrier for the grey).

I haven't been having much luck finding a cage that's just right. I'd prefer one that can be placed on top of a table/dresser/ect, but perhaps with an easily removable stand. Most of the cages I'm finding have wire gauges that are just way too thin, or not listed at all. (I've read that 4mm is a good thickness for CAGs. Is this true?)

I want to stress that this cage will ONLY be used for sleeping. Others I've asked have been very grumpy about me wanting a cage smaller than 3ft across. They seemed to have missed that this is essentially a bed. My birds are out all day with me, as I'm disabled and unable to work. I would never leave a parrot, especially my grey, in a cage too small during the day.

Most of the cages I'm finding are around 20" x 20" with various heights, starting around 29". Is this an acceptable size for a sleeping cage?

I'll probably keep the little one clipped for safety. He'll definitely be clipped when I get him from the breeders.

Example: http://www.amazon.com/Prevue-Products-125BL-Parrot-Black/dp/B0002AQ3EU

(I think the bars on this one are too thin)

And, one that was suggested to me.

I will be traveling to an exotic pet shop that sells greys on Monday, and plan to look at some cages there and ask the owner for advice. But it's driving me crazy that no one online has been able to help me yet.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

We use these. We bought three (we have three birds) and use them as feeding cages. I got real tired of the damn mess all over the house so now feeding time is IN THE CAGE. That's for when they are out with us in the general living areas and eating. We've got them to where they just go in on their own and eat, I don't have to close the cage doors any longer unless they start fighting over each other's food. In their bird room or the aviary they're free to slop the hogs all day long.

I suppose one of those cages would work real well as a sleeping cage. We bought the larger ones and wish we would have bought the smaller. Large is too big really to pack around a lot.

I was thinking about using a folding travel cage, but am worried it wouldn't be secure enough. I want to be able to put a swing and some snuggle toys in there so it can stay warm and feel not so alone.

I found this one after I had started this topic: http://www.amazon.com/Wrought-Removable-Rolling-Black-Hammertone/dp/B00SXDOLMO/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1427488460&sr=8-10&keywords=parrot+cage+stand

But I worry that may be... Too much for a night and travel cage.

One of my green cheeks was able to bust out of their old cage very easily (he's an older, rescued bird), so I'm worried about what a grey would be able to do, so I like the locking door, which is very similar to the cage my conures are in now.

My current cage for my GCCs have those same seed guards, so I know how to easily remove them for travel.

But that cage has FOUR cup holders, which feels extremely excessive for a night cage.

I feel so overwhelmed and lost.

I don't know who's had a problem w/your wanting a sleep cage. A number of forum members have them for their fids.

I get that you don't want your fid to escape. But w/a few exceptions, travel cages aren't generally heavy duty. People don't want to be lugging the weight around. They're also longer & lower proportioned than a normal cage, unlike the cages you've linked. They look like they might be a little tall to fit thru the back door of the car.

I have a pretty good sized folding cage, but I'm afraid of the spring hooks w/my grey. He stays in the medium sized King's travel cages. I can carry it, but it isn't light.

attachment.php?attachmentid=26105&stc=1

They also have a bigger (heavier) version.

http://www.kingscages.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductID=ATM2029

attachment.php?attachmentid=26106&stc=1

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KINGS-CAGES-LARGE-ALUMINIUM-PARROT-TRAVEL-CARRIERS-CAGE-2029-bird-cages-/321681803228?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ae5bac7dc

They're awesome, but expensive. If you look on Craig's List, Ebay & such, you might be able to get a substantial savings on a used one, though. Mine were used, but you'd never know it to look at them. For they most part, they seem like they'll last a very long time, especially because they're aluminum. One of my King's carriers was a present. ") The other cost $100 on Ebay. Well worth it to me because it's the only carrier I've felt like I could totally trust my problem child, escape artist Phenix in.

IMG_0047.jpg

kingsCAGE2.jpg

Edited by birdhouse

That cage you just listed would be a royal pain to use as a travel cage. The one I listed, we used them before we had our aviary to let the birds sit out in the sun. I locked the door shut with clips as I didn't trust them not to open it somehow. You definitely want something light to travel with.

This is another option.

There's always the gold standard -(ho)&ref=DF4rcI_udU6GfakKSQwtHg&kpid=ATT1214_Bronze/Sil"]$$$Kings Travel cage$$$

I'm sorry, I didn't mean that people on this forum were cranky! I'm a member in some other forums, where I've also been asking about a roost cage.

I keep saying "travel cage" and forgetting what that really means to most parrot owners (I'm still kind of new to flock life)! I mean a cage for him to sleep in when we're out of my apartment, such as at my partner's house or inside of a hotel. I have a carrier for him to ride in during transport. Unless we'd be taking a very long drive, in which case I'd be sure to get a better travel cage for the car.

I think I'm going to get the one that I posted upthread (also right here again)

Would that be sufficient for the sleep cage?

I need a roost cage. The way my lifestyle is, a roost cage in a different room will be much better for the little one. I'm often up to 2 in the morning, and I spend most of my time in my living room, where the rest of my birds are and where the grey's day cage will be. I don't like covering cages unless I need to, and there will still be too much noise.

My other birds are all new world parrots and have adjusted to my schedule just fine.

Plus, having a roost cage in a different room will give my baby more variety! The room I plan to put the roost cage in is my "office" from when I was in college, and I plan to use it as a training room. I'm not naive enough to believe that my green cheeks will get along with the grey, and I don't want any accidents happening, so I have the separate room to take my grey into for one-on-one training, and if he needs to get away from my gremlins.

Hello!

Example: http://www.amazon.com/Prevue-Products-125BL-Parrot-Black/dp/B0002AQ3EU

(I think the bars on this one are too thin)

And, one that was suggested to me.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

The first cage you posted----I've had that exact same cage, same size also made by Prevue for about 20 yrs. Back then, the cage cost $120. The only difference, mine is gold, now they're black. It's a great sleeping cage as well as a carrying cage as well as a feeding cage. It's easy to move around because it's not connected to a stand. The mm size is ideal. It's the ideal cage for sitting on a small table which can be moved around. It fits in most vehicles. Mine sits in the basement until I need it. I don't use sleeping cages or feeding cages. It can't be used as a main cage for all day use. Others here have also shown good small cages.

Now as far as the second cage---that's simply a standard cage that people use who wanna keep their birds in for the whole day. That exact same cage can be purchased in all sizes. This cage is for a small bird. It's not the type of cage that can be moved around easily because the stand is connected and disconnecting the stand is a pain in the ass. This cage isn't very well made.

This is just some info on these 2 cages you posted about.

Thank you for your reply!

The first one I posted is normally $120. I'm not sure why it's so much cheaper on Amazon.

I didn't really like the second one much, but it was suggested to me elsewhere so I thought I'd ask for opinions (:

What do you think about this one though?

It comes clean off the stand and I probably wouldn't install the seed catchers. It looks more secure, and honestly looks really nice.

This is the one I hope to get, but want to make sure there isn't anything wrong with using it for this purpose.

Thank you for your reply!

The first one I posted is normally $120. I'm not sure why it's so much cheaper on Amazon.

I didn't really like the second one much, but it was suggested to me elsewhere so I thought I'd ask for opinions (:

What do you think about this one though?

It comes clean off the stand and I probably wouldn't install the seed catchers. It looks more secure, and honestly looks really nice.

This is the one I hope to get, but want to make sure there isn't anything wrong with using it for this purpose.

The cage you picked is simply a slightly different style all day cage made for very small birds. In your first post you posted a picture of another one that was just like this. The big difference is this one has a rounded roof. All of these all day cages say that the stand is removable, what that means is that yolu lie the cage down and unscrew the cage from the stand. Then you move it and rescrew the stand back on. This particular cage has very thin bars hat are very close together. The size of the wire is thin. Again, made for small birds. Remember when I told you I had the same exact cage for many years except it was gold? Picture of it is below

. Because I felt like doing it, I made a 4 legged light weight stand out of wood. The cage is not attached to that homemade stand. It just sits in it. As far as size in a car--I used this cage for one of my greys and we were traveling from MO to PA.

Recently in another subject we were talking about bad language. I told of my bird's incident. This was the cage he was standing near when he let out that expletive.

If you can find the cage on Amazon, go for it. Many things are cheaper on Amazon and they guarantee that the item is new.

This is a picture of the cage you spoke about and under that is my exact same cage I spoke of except for the color.

81hAccjRlpL._SL1500_.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v50/DaveVP/P1010010.jpg

What style is up to you. Good luck

PS---the cage you picked is approx. 85 lbs

Edited by Dave007
  • Haha 1

Thanks for your input, everyone!

You made some very valid points, and I really appreciate that.

I'll just go simple. I got very excited over having a fancy cage, but I didn't realize how the stand worked.

I just want so badly to do everything right for my little one and give him the best life possible here with me. I need to take a breath and think about what I'm doing.

I'm a little too excited about all of this.