NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

New kid in the flock

Hi All!

I'm Izzy. I am a first time grey mom to Toby, a 20 year old CAG. I adopted Toby from a woman who kept him in a small cage with cedar bedding, with 2 toys, 2 perches, and a seed only diet. (Direct quote from previous owner: "He likes Twizzlers, HiHos, bacon, cheese burger, and cheez its. But you can't give him too many cheez its because salt isn't good for birds. 0_o) I was told that Toby hadn't been handled in years, hadn't been out of his cage in years, hadn't seen a vet EVER, and started plucking his feathers a bit...understatement...due to the stress that the PO's Amazon caused him.

You may be asking yourself why someone with no grey experience would take on a bird like this, and you are right to question my mental state... but when I looked at him his eyes said 'Help Me'. As a bird lover I couldn't just walk away. I knew I'd made the right decision when she tried to pull him out of the cage with oven mits, his wing slipped in between the bars of his cage and she twisted his body. (I almost lost it!)

Toby now has a brand new 36x24 cage with play top, many toys and perches, and we are working on a better diet!

A few behaviors that worry me:

He doesn't climb around his cage! (Basically stays in one spot unless we move him)

Shakes his tail a lot (I have heard mixed things about what this means)

Is still picking at his feathers and preens a lot (I knew this would not go away immediately, but OH how I hate it)

Some of the feathers on his back and breast look red (not sure if you can see this in the picture or not...)

Anyway, that's a little about me and a lot about Toby. Any advice you have on building trust with a neglected grey would be greatly appreciated!

• Haha 1

Hi Izzy, oh thank you for giving Toby a new home and trying to give him a better life.

Just relax and let Toby get use to you and his new environment for now. Talk to him and let him know what you are doing or going to do. No quick movements and relax and enjoy this great grey. Greys are very intuitive so be calm and talk to him. Greys want to belong and be a member of the flock, even if it is a human one. Just tell him what you want and show him. Greys are very smart. Enjoy.

Welcome to the Grey family!!!

Edited by luvparrots

Welcome and thank you for taking Toby into your heart. You didn't mention how long Toby has been with you. Time is not the same for them as it is for us. You might think a month is a long time, but to Toby that may be about an hour. Patience is your best friend right now. Don't expect too much too soon. As you talk to him try giving him a small treat, maybe a small piece of almond. This will help him come to you. The red in his feathers is fine. He may just have a few red feathers in his grey, it is called red factor and nothing to give a second thought to. He won't move for awhile simply because he couldn't before. He will love his new cage when he gets use to it.

Hello and welcome to you and Toby :) Thank you for giving Toby a new lease on life. Has he came out of the cage yet! As the others said, he will take his time adjusting to his new environment. I had to laugh when I read the list of "things" Toby likes to eat. They are just like we are that way, their favorites are what isn't good for them.

Hello Izzy and welcome to our family.

Thanks so much for giving Toby a new forever home and please do read thru as many of the threads as possible for you will find lots of useful information that will come in handy in the coming weeks and months. He looks very handsome and time and lots of patience will reward you as he settles into his new home.

As the others have said, Welcome, and thank you so much for helping this angel out. We are a flock of caring, helpful people who will advise you on anything we can. You mentioned he's never been to a vet. That should be your next step. Make sure the vet is Avian Certified, or at least Avian experienced. It will be a long road ahead. But, once he trusts you, he'll do his part. Thanks again for your thoughtfulness and compassion.

Welcome to the grey family. Toby is very handsome and the red feathers are just fine. As mentioned, it could be that Toby has red factor or he may have been plucking longer that you think. Sometimes excessive plucking will cause damage and red feathers come in place of the grey, either way they are pretty. lol There are toys that could help him with the plucking our over grooming but it is a hard habit to break once they start. Most of the ones we have here are naked, only one has recovered from the plucking and it was just luck that we figured out he likes sisal rope only and he grooms that instead of himself. If the sisal gets destroyed, he starts pulling his neck and chest feathers out. I loved the favorites list you were given and had to giggle at the cheese-its and salt comment, because the salt is "only" in those! He will also move around when he is ready, I have one we dubbed our statue, it took him a few years but now that little booger goes everywhere and gets into everything. Their time is pretty slow compared to ours so don't expect any changes over night or even in a month or in some cases years.

"Never even thought to question your mental state for bringing Toby home" said one wingnut to the other. lol We also refer to ourselves as grey-o-holics around here. Let's just say you're among like minded people.

I don't see how long he's been home or how long he was with the other people or how many previous homes...? But the behaviors are most likely fear based (assuming you already checked & he's healthy). That will take him as long as it takes to get over. It doesn't matter if he came from the worst place ever, uprooting a grey really rocks their world. Everything new rocks some fids.

Some things that might help for the moment

- don't stare. It's rude. lol For a prey animal, it's scary. Especially since Toby's not used to getting any attention, he's probably pretty sure you're contemplating how he'll taste for dinner.

- maybe limit his exposure. His cage could be more flush to the wall or he *might* like it partially covered w/something he can shred w/o getting tangled up. He might also hate being covered. You'd have to watch to determine his particular preference, here. He might or might not consider the window exposure, as well. *

- include him. Treat him like any one else in the room. Glance his way occasionally. Talk or whistle to him from a bit of a distance or across the room. Singing, no matter how good or bad, is usually well received. Quiet activities near by, reading, computer work, knitting, whatever, are ways to get him used to your undemanding presence & help him relax around you.

- several times a day try handing him things like food & foot toys. Set up a spare cup because he may not take them initially. After a minute or two, just leave them & walk away. He may fling them. Just let it roll off your back & eventually, he should start to be more receptive. By then he will have become more used to you, to contact w/your hands, as well as exposure to some different foods & toys.

- never, ever take it personally ...until he wants to be your friend. ") It's fair to say most grey birds live by the code, "I don't know you, so I don't like you!" THE only cure is time. But if you read thru the forums, especially "Rescue Bird Haven" you'll find out how worthwhile even the smallest victory is.

...and your new flock of wingnuts all get it. So we'll be here for anything you want to share. Welcome to Grey Forums, Izzy.

* it would be surprising if he didn't consider that shelf & those pictures a greyt source of fun once he's on the move. just sayin

Edited by birdhouse
  • Haha 1

Welcoming a little Grey guy in his fluffy underwear is a compassionate move. I as some others here have birds that came to us a bit weary and wary from their early travels through homes that were not the best fit for them. As many have mentioned patience is the best tool available right now. He will learn to eat healthier foods in part from watching you enjoy them. Do add way for him to either bathe or get a gentle spray bath with either plain water or some Aloe juice (not the gel). Offer bright colored veggies and fruits to gain the most nutrient value. These can be raw or cooked. Sit near his cage, talk or sing to hm. I think you are going to be a natural at this.

Edited by Greywings

Thank you Everyone for the welcome! I have had Toby for about a week now, and he has a vet appointment next Friday with our Avian Vet Dr. Burge. He is a very sweet baby, and we have already seen a change in demeanor from when we first met him to now, he's not aggressive and he is talking a bit more everyday. I have been browsing the site, and have found a lot of great info already! Thank you guys so much for all of you effort and time.

• Haha 1

Birdhouse,

I had not made it down to Rescue Bird Haven yet, I was actually going to ask if there was a forum for that, but after you mentioned it I went searching and OMGoodness! SO much wonderful info and a few tears! The poem, A Human Hand - I cried... a lot! Thank you also for all of your advice! Don't stare - LOL - but that makes a lot of sense! I've never thought about that! We cover his cage at night, and I was wondering if we should push it more toward the wall so I will try that as well. All of our birds are in the Living Room since that is where we spend most of our time, right now we let him stay on his play top while we sit around and talk or play a card game, and talk to him as well as my other birds. I make sure to "love on" my conures in front him, then talk to him the same way when I hand him a grape or slice of apple. Yesterday he came down to the couch and explored us! (I got a few pictures and posted them in my album)

Is there a thread or anything that talks about teaching them to play with toys? or is this something that will come with time as he gets more comfortable?

Teaching them about toys is a tough one. My Dorian came to me not knowing what toys were for as he only had 1 acrylic toy in his cage. He still doesn't know how to chew wood, but he has learned the joys of ripping apart paper and cardboard. Because his only early toy was an acrylic one he mostly uses toys to batter around banging them against the cage. You'll have to experiment with toys until you find something he responds to. Try playing with the toy infront of him. If you make toys yourself make them in front of him as well. You have other birds, so let them model playing for him. There are a couple pretty much universal grey favourites. One is a big, loud, stainless steel bell. They love batting those around. Another is a roll of adding machine paper tied to the cage. Try starting with those.

^^^ Very true. But in a perfect world, I always hope it would be a consequence of handing them foot toys thru the bars to begin with. What can I say? Color me eternally optimistic. ( :cool: <---rose colored glasses )

Even though these guys are naturally hardwired w/curiosity, fear usually trumps it (as well it should in the wild). So those big ole scary things you've got hung in his personal space right now are another part of the reason for him to be sitting ver-ry still.

These e-books are super for toy & foraging ideas. *BUT* I would really suggest waiting until he's comfortably vocalizing & moving around the new digs before you do anything big.

Right now, though, there are some good little ideas. There are also component parts that you can start him off on. Whenever it's time, start making larger creations from familiar pieces.

Then, like Acappella said, let him help. Toy making is an activity in itself. It's a good way to make TheNewThing less scary. It can also be a bonding activity. All good, right?

:o Forgot to add the links!

https://featheredangels.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/theparrotenrichmentactivitybookversion1-0.pdf

https://featheredangels.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/theparrotenrichmentactivitybookversion2-0.pdf

https://www.facebook.com/parrotenrichment/photos_stream

Edited by birdhouse

OH fun! Craft projects YAY =D

I thought about taking 2 of the toys out of his cage, or at the very least the big spiral rope. I was torn between 'is this overwhelming' and 'Poor baby will have nothing to do, just like his old home'. That settles it, I will take out some of the big scary toys, maybe put one on the conure stand.

Nope, there is nothing wrong w/the toys that are in his cage right now. But he doesn't apparently believe that, yet. It's another part of the unfamiliar place he found himself in & he's still trying to wrap his head around it.

If you change anything, you've "changed something". He's doing okay w/the way things are. Very ok since he went on safari such a short time after moving in.

And that boing (spiral) is one of the scariest toys/perches for them, but one of the funnest once they get over it. It's probably a good thing that it was part of the new environment to begin with. jmho I'd leave it now.

Then I will leave everything as is! Although I think I may have just found an excuse to get another boing for the conure stand. :) I may be completely wrong, but I think the reason he went on safari yesterday was because he watched the conures playing on the couch with us earlier.

I think that might have had something to do w/it. Greys learn by example. Google "ALEX studies" if you haven't already.

But I think it's also fair to point out that no matter whatever example the conures were setting, the parronts were a big part. Toby would be sitting, shaking in a corner, otherwise.

And no one would have thought anything of it btw. It would actually be more normal than not. A week in grey time is no time at all. Like I said before, Toby is doing really well. Good job so far!!

My best guess is that it's because they're over stimulated. Good or bad. Excited &/or scared. I always imagine I can see little branches of electricity around them whenever they do it. lol They also just do it to "settle" their feathers after they preen. So, it's something I take in context.

Oh gosh am I glad to find your intro thread. You are going to learn about grey time and the value of doing "nothing and trying the same old things over again in new ways on new days. Toby is beautiful and blessed to be with someone willing to do anything it take to reach him. Everyone on your thread has offered such good advice, I learned everything I know about greys right here in this forum and I learned with Miss Gilbert that after four years, I still don't know how much I don't know, LOL. On the staring thing, looking straight on with our mammal eyes we do look like all the predators he can imagine, I read that turning and looking through one eye, much like he does is less intimidating. He doesn't seem fearful, I didn't read anything about growling or aggressiveness and he came out of his cage to get closer to you, that is really encouraging. We brought home a very frightened traumatized Timneh African Grey and she sat like a sentinel on one perch for a year and rejected nearly every offering. One of the foods she loves is to share my steel cut oatmeal, with a little almond milk off a spoon before I eat any and get my germs on it. The warm food was an icebreaker and is now our daily routine. For toys, start small. The advice that I was given was to start by hanging things lower than his perch, overhead and new is scary at first. When he takes an interest, move them up a little at a time and ask his permission before going into his cage. We started with parakeet size toys and have worked our way up. I think the main thing is to not take rejection personally, the things you offer him today... or every day for four years may be rejected over and over again, but the day he decides it is okay, he will blossom quickly. Thank you so much for joining us, I would love to see you start a thread in the rescue room to follow the adjustments of Toby to the embarrassment of riches he is about to be offered. Welcome to the forum to both of you and to the rest of your flock as well.

Thank you Katana600! I was actually wondering if there was an appropriate place to post his story and progress. I'm going to have to do that! :)

I had heard that shaking the tail was a warning sign, like a dog growling, or that they were happy, like a dog wagging its tail. Toby only showed aggressive behavior at his previous owners home. He has "challenged" us a few times (acted like he was going to bite when asked to step up) once he learned that we would not be intimidated he stopped. When ever he threatened we curl our fingers and present the back of our hand, harder for beak to find purchase, and say 'no bite'. He wouldn't actually try to bite, just push against the back of our hand.

I can't tell you all how much I enjoy this site! I have learned so much already, and to find like minded Bird Brains - which is a compliment to a grey owner - it's just awesome!