NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Spring Owl ?

Greywings

What a little cutie! I have a special place in my heart for Owls. When I had a Wildlife Rehab Permit, I worked with many Owls. That one is a "Little Owl" (Athene noctura), a very small (6 to 8") European Owl. I had an "Elf Owl" (Micrathene whitneyi) that was confiscated during a cockfighting bust. The owner had several exotic raptors which were all taken. She seemed to be imprinted to humans, and could not be released, and was thought unfit for life in a zoo or aviary. I got to adopt her, and she lived with me for about 11 years. She was very tame and liked human company. She was about 6" tall. She ate crickets and mealworms. What a little darling. Thanks for bringing back that memory.

^^^ I'm jealous. I have always wanted an owl since I was 5 yo & met one at the Trailside Museum in the Blue Hills! I don't know how long that campaign went on, but it was years. My grandfather raised show fowl. I didn't see the difference & couldn't understand why he wouldn't get one for me. lol

Birdhouse, I laugh because he knew the difference! Seriously, Owls are great birds, but can be very dangerous. Their talons are like razor point fishhooks, and their beaks are even sharper. But with a bit of experience, they can be handled. A fascinating thing about Owls is their feathers & wings. When our fids fly, you can hear it in another room. Owls have different feathering that makes their flight almost soundless. They aren't very friendly, and generally don't trust something as big as a human. My little Tuti, named for a Navajo boy who becomes an eagle in an old Navajo legend (Tutivena), was somehow imprinted on humans and was an exception to the rule. Almost all the other Owls that I helped were basically "hands off" to keep them wild, and able to release. I did have a Barn Owl that had been hit by a car, and lived out his days with me. But, he only barely trusted me.