NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Formula vs Pellets

EZFrag

Hi there,

I have a dilemma. Clara is an African Grey that is 10 weeks old. I started her weaning about 2 weeks back, and she is doing excellent. Chows down 2 cups of pellets in about 3 days. And she also eats veggies without any issues.

Here is the thing. Her crop is permanently full. (Permanent in the sense of when I want to feed her formula, it is not empty) You can feel without a doubt that there is food in her crop, and quite an amount. I also caught her drinking water earlier, so that isn't an issue either. The food in the crop is moving through though. She isn't having trouble digesting it.

Do I still give her the formula? She doesn't stop eating the formula until everything is done, and yesterday after I gave her the formula, she looked like a balloon. She also kept moaning in ,what I only could imagine, discomfort.

What is your take on this?

Greywings with excellent advice! I also agree, that if baby slides back, and wants the formula, give it. Progress to a spoon. ALWAYS satisfy the oral stage. My Amazon still wanted an occassional formula feeding off a spoon for nine months. She became our best eater of veggies, fruits or anything new!

I also always supported the " regurg" into my hand. I know many don't as they consider this as sexual aggression, but I never felt it. If they produced a " gift" to me, I always thanked them, and gave a " gift" back! I got a wagging tail for my effort.

I am no pro with sexual aggression, as none of my birds displayed it outside of Kiki. When she was hormonal, we all kissed her butt and gave her room to deal. ( that included Sophie and Sunny!) It was funny to watch Sophie NOT be her bossy self! Nancy