NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

breeding greys

falco

Hello All,

New to this forum and have been reading thru the previous posts. It has been very informative. However, got a question. I recently bought a bonded breeding pair of greys at a bird show. They look healthy and seem to have adjusted to their new home. I tracked down the previous owner and he told me he had them for three years but was never successful.

Beside a better diet and providing them with a private area, I'm curious to hear other people's opinion how they would go about "stimulating" them to breed.

thanks

First, you need to know what the age of each bird is. Then you need to bring both birds to an Avian Vet and have the hen checked for any possible internal problems. The vet might wanna check the male too. Then you need to find out what the previous owner meant by *never successful*. Did they have a clutch and they were infertile? Did they not have a clutch ever? Underage males anmd females will go through the whole routine of so called *mating, nest building, and sometimes having a clutch etc. but if they're only sexually aware as opposed to sexually mature ( has to do with age), the whole process fails. Also ask if either bird was ever a pet in the past. That sometimes works against successful breeding.

Then you should realize that a pair of breeder greys might not make any overt sexual connection until they've lived in their new home for at least a year. Every thing is new to them.Then you need to find out if breeding season is over where you live. For most of the US, the season is finished cause winter is around the corner and in some areas it's already here.

For breeder pairs who are moved to a new location, the new owner usually takes that time and sets up the special area with the proper items and allows the birds to see that area for a long period of time. Trying to induce any breeding with greys isn't a good idea simply because their internal systems aren't as strong as they are when breeding season comes around. Then, you'll have to do extensive reading concerning the special nutrition that a hen has to have before breeding. Another reason not to induce breeding is that hens are calcium deficient and that calcium has to be replenished during the off season. There's other things you need to do and learn but start with this info.<br><br>Post edited by: MrSpock, at: 2007/11/10 03:36

thanks MrSpock,

Very imformative and will take them to a vet to have them checked out. I don't think they were pets and unsucessful means no eggs.

My question was somewhat mis-leading. I don't mean to "induce" breeding, but just ideas how to get them to breed in a normal breeding cycle. For example, I read in the article someone posted that they played soft music to void out the background noise to make them more secure in their area.

I guess what I want to ask is has anyone bought a healthy pair that didn't produce in sereval years and got them to produce fertile eggs.

I know you didn't mean *induce*. That was my word and I use it to make a point cause many people are thinking just that---*induce, inducing, induced, inducement* Only the person knows if it applies to them. Eventually, the pair will need relatively quietness but much more important is that they're going to have complete privacy away from all normal surroundings. They can't be separated. People won't be welcome. Breeders are very nervous, protective and can often be aggressive, and if any of these things occur and there's a clutch of eggs, there's a possibility that the eggs could get damaged.

In the past people have purchased healthy pairs and sometimes, they won't reproduce. Unfortunately, there's a million reasons why that can happen and I won't pretend to know all those reasons but you and they will need plenty of time to get used to their breeding area which can sometimes double as their living area. It's gonna take time.

Classification

--------------

On the open market, there are 2 types of breeder greys that are sold. These prices are hypothetical.

1--Bonded Pair-----$1400

Birds are guaranteed to be bonded together but have yet to lay any eggs or have tried to lay eggs but haven't been successful so far but might be in the future.

2--Proven Bonded Pair----$1900

Birds are guaranteed to be bonded and have also had 1 or more clutches of eggs. When purchasing this kind, there's no guarantee that the clutches will be fertile even if they've had success in the past.

So, only time will tell if your pair are successful but be aware that your pair might not have gotten all the proper things in the past to have success. That's why you should spend the off season getting ready and sucking in all the knowledge that's available.

PS---the pair should be at least 6 yrs old or even older. That's when they become sexually mature.

Post edited by: MrSpock, at: 2007/11/10 05:33<br><br>Post edited by: MrSpock, at: 2007/11/10 05:43

I too will be watching this post out of interest. Falco - welcome to the forum!! You should post an introductory post in the welcome room and tell us more about yourself and the birds. This is a great forum with a plethora of information. Dave also is known around these parts for knowing his stuff!! ;) Once again, welcome and I wish you luck with the breeding. :silly:

The different sounds you hear them making is a big plus. It's a sign of contentment, relaxed atmosphere, a feeling of security. It doesn't mean that the male is horny nor does it mean the hen is in a hormonal state. Greys will become as silent as a mouse when they feel uncomfortable. That pertains to breeder pairs of greys and pet greys. Since you're showing interest and paying attention, you're gonna hear different sounds as time goes on. Another thing--What you're saying is one of a million things I was referring to. The small things!!Did the past owner pay that much attention to the small things?? You don't know and I don't know. You and I will probably never know.

I get the feeling that you really want to succeed so I'm gonna tell you about an item that will allow you watch them through the day or night without being near and possibly causing disturbance.

I have a couple of these items for years. The ones I have aren't state of the art like the ones that are sold today. When I bought them, they cost about $25 each.

The item is called Baby Cam. This item is used by families who have infant children who are still in cribs. It allows the family to be in any part of the house but the baby can be viewed when the family is away from the baby room.

It's a little monitor about the size of the new, small digital cameras that are sold all over the place. It also has a small receiving unit about the same size. The little monitor that looking at the birds is wireless. This is how it works. That very small monitor is put in the bird's room and aimed at them. The monitor doesn't have to be close to them. In another part of the house, that second unit which comes with a 4,6 or 8 ft wire (depending on brand. That unit is plugged into a TV or PC monitor or any other item that can produce a picture. In my case I have an old 9 inch broken down little TV that can only comes on. A person positions this TV anywhere they feel like it. It can be moved from room to room if it's easy to carry. The monitor in the bird's room is watching everything they're doing. It gives a wide view of their area and it's transmitting that whole thing to the TV. The unit monitor is totally silent. There are no moving parts in it.

Now today, those Baby Cams have gotten better. My signal come to me only in black and white. Today they have units that will show everything in color. Both kinds can still be purchased.

It can be purchased at most department stores. It's a well know item and I'm sure that some of the women here know all about them and tell you about their feeling of security when using them with babies. These 2 pics are the little monitor and that junky 9 inch TV I use. Think about it. It can turn into interesting veiwing.

PS--If the item you're using to look at them has a volume control, you'll also be able to hear them.

DSCN0046.jpg

DSCN0047.jpg

Post edited by: MrSpock, at: 2007/11/10 17:35<br><br>Post edited by: MrSpock, at: 2007/11/10 17:38

Hello All,

I like this site...people seems to be so nice here. Anyways, my name is John and I'm from Texas. I love birds. However, due to my busy schedule, I really don't have time for a pet. I feel guilty if I don't put enough time to play with them. Hence, my solution to that is have a breeder pair. I can watch and admire them without having to spend too much time playing with them. I bought a proven pair 5 years ago and they had two clutches (4 eggs/clutch) the first year. My family and friends were happy because they all got a grey for free :)...I'm not in it for the money, just a hobbie for me. Anyways, being naive, I left them outdoor one time while I was remodeling my house and raccoon came. You probable know what happened next...I lost the pair....

Recently I was at a bird show and on an impulse, I bought this pair. It turned out this pair was from a professional breeder. He told me when his pair doesn't produce within two years, he would sell them. He has hundreds of pairs so I doubt if he paid that much attention to them. However, with some TLC, maybe I will have better results. If not, not a big deal...the birds seem happy....

The camera sounds like a good idea and I actually thought about it. However, I just moved them to the patio room so I can have a better view without disturbing them.

Hmmm I just don't see why someone who didn't have time for a pet would take on a pet just to breed it? Then to leave them outside to become raccoon food.....Wow I guess pets really can be disposable, I think I'll leave this thread alone.<br><br>Post edited by: loviechick, at: 2007/11/11 09:51

Not sure why I'm being attacked. I asked a sincere question and was curious how other people would approach the situation. I didn't ask for step to step instruction on how to breed greys.

Keep this mind, would you have your birds in a house full of drywall dust and paint fume or would you put them outdoor thinking it was safe.....anyways, sorry to have wasted your time....no more question from me...

It's ok MrSpock...I know whatcha mean!

No I wouldn't have my birds anywhere near drywall or paints fumes, but I think I would have used a bit more precaution, and common sense, to prevent them from being eaten by coons. I would have had a friend watch them, or I would have sold them, being that they seem to be a "hobby" like basketball or something, it shouldn't have been a problem to just "dispose" of them. I wasn't attacking you, I just look at AG's as a companion, a life long friend not a disposable hobby, or something for me to admire from afar. Like I said if I wanted to admire a living creature for all its splendor I would take a picture.