NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Is it ok for her to chew so much?

Miagates

I am a new grey owner as of sunday(:. She is very sweet and shy so far. I m taking it slow of course, but I am still pretty new. I know they need stimulations so I bought her some cardboard chewing toys. The Lady who I bought it from warned me she could get aggressive from chewing because she might start nesting. Especially since it s spring, but I want to keep her occupied when i m away. I spend about 4-5 hours a day with my birds. Have you had a problem with nesting and chewing? Thanks

Hi Miagates. Welcome to the Grey family. How about a little more information about your grey. How old is a good start. Details please.

She is 12 and has been with two families. She is very good about stepping up, but is still slowly adjusting to petting. Thanks(:

They often chew on twigs and branches in the wild it is a very natural behavior and chewing alone will not cause nesty behavior. Providing a dark box area might encourage that train of thought. All of our flock enjoy deconstructing cardboard, pinecones and paperback novels.

• 2 weeks later...
How do you offer a paperback book typically? Does anyone ever drill a hole and hang one from a stainless chain or rope? We have many old paperbacks that could be used as shredding toys.

Yes that is exactly how you do it, I have done it with phone books too.