NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Rehoming an African grey with oddly clipped wings

Sidhe

Hello everyone. I am going to be rehoming an African grey in a couple weeks, the problem is that her previous owners clearly had no idea what they were doing and clipped her wings straight across :( Will they ever grow back?

She doesn't seem to mind it at all (about having half wings or change of environment) as she is bubbly and cheery and makes all sorts of happy sounds. I just feel so bad for her.... She's such a sweet girl and I can't wait to bring her home.

I've never seen a bird with wings clipped like that, so I have no idea how long it would take for them to grow back, if ever... :(

• Haha 1

Thanks for giving this grey a new forever home.

The feathers will grow back but it will take a year or more as they molt out the wing feathers several at a time so just be patient, then I hope you are planning to leave her flighted for a bird was meant to fly and enjoy her wings.

Is this your first parrot or do you have others? Just curious and I hope the person you are getting the grey from doesn't go out and get any more birds to mutilate.

Mutilate is the correct definition in this sense, sadly, because I cannot imagine why they would clip half of her wings off... The person gave her to a petshop so that is where she is now. It's so good to hear they will eventually grow back, thank you! I'm usually impartial to clipping but after what she's been through you BET I will let her be flighted!

I've had budgies before, this is my first African grey. She will be forever loved as this will be her permanent, awesome home :)

As Judy has said, yes her feathers will molt out and grow back. If her primary feathers were cut, it may take longer for her to be completely feathered out. But, she'll be fine. An improved diet, and some sunshine will also be a big help. And, also, as Judy has said, thanks for giving this angel a forever home.

Sidhe... as others have said, thanks for giving this bird a home. Its gonna take time for flight to happen, but it did eventually for my Sophie whom was clipped when I got her at age two. Work on diet, stepup and stepdown, introduction to family. As the trust develops and bird wants to be with you guys, then you can start practicing flight once feathers come in. We practiced flight ( once we got everything else accomplished), with one person to send off... one person to receive the bird. We have a family room the size that can fit four couches at least! Put some decals in the windows once you get to flight practice, as birds that have never flown, have a poor perception of space. We will be here to help! Nancy