NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Bald Spot

ranaz

Hi everybody,

I posting this on the behalf of Dr. Emy, a friend of mine who has a very sweet grey named Coucou. Coucou lives a very happy healthy life. Eats well and goes out on a harness.

She has noticed a bald spot on the head which showed better after wetting the feathers.

She is not able to figure the causes, and the skin dis not look irritated.

In Lebanon there are no avian vets and the only exotic vet prescribed to disinfect the area with Betadine. He suggested it might be due to a skin irritation or a scratch the bird might have caught while playing on a tree branch in the park.

Please have a look at the photos and if anyone has seen this or have an idea of what should be done, Dr. Emy, my friend will be so grateful.

The shiny stuf is the disinfectant in use.

attachment.php?attachmentid=25978&stc=1attachment.php?attachmentid=25979&stc=1attachment.php?attachmentid=25980&stc=1

Coucou 1.jpg

Coucou 2.jpg

coucou3.jpg

Edited by ranaz

I don't know about the Betadine. I'd be a little worried that it might actually cause it's own problems if it's used for more than a day or two. There is no obvious damage or irritation in the pic. If the bird has no other symptoms, I'd start w/aloe because it has no bad side effects.

I'd either treat the area w/some leaf "gel" or 100% organic juice. It is a mild analgesic(numbing) & effective antimicrobial (fungus) & antibacterial (germs). Very good for conditioning the feathers & skin even when totally healthy. Also, if used in spray form, would be good to bathe the bird which could also help if the bird is reacting to lack of humid.

Hopefully, it's something as simple as winter itch & a few baths will make him feel comfortable. But if it gets worse, there are online vets. I don't know how you would know the good ones from the bad. But that's just like any vets anywhere, I suppose.

Edited by birdhouse

Hi everybody,

I posting this on the behalf of Dr. Emy, a friend of mine who has a very sweet grey named Coucou. Coucou lives a very happy healthy life. Eats well and goes out on a harness.

She has noticed a bald spot on the head which showed better after wetting the feathers.

She is not able to figure the causes, and the skin dis not look irritated.

In Lebanon there are no avian vets and the only exotic vet prescribed to disinfect the area with Betadine. He suggested it might be due to a skin irritation or a scratch the bird might have caught while playing on a tree branch in the park.

Please have a look at the photos and if anyone has seen this or have an idea of what should be done, Dr. Emy, my friend will be so grateful.

The shiny stuf is the disinfectant in use.

attachment.php?attachmentid=25978&stc=1attachment.php?attachmentid=25979&stc=1attachment.php?attachmentid=25980&stc=1

That area has been over preened by the bird. It's not unusual and more importantly, it's now itchy which causes the bird to scratch at it which hampers relief and healing.

Betadine is great for humans but for birds, it's a bit caustic. The bird needs a product that will relieve itch, stay on the bare skin, provide moisture and most importantly, can be put on often without side effects. I'm not familiar with products in your country but by going to any pharmacy I'm sure that this product can be ordered/purchased or is already on the shelf. It's called 100% Aloe Vera Gel. It's also used by people for dry hands or arms or feet or dried itchy pubic areas. This product is tasteless, non toxic, sinks into the skin and can be used as many times as needed. It's also a very good product to have around because birds get many other problems with the outer skin such as dryness, getting bitten, extreme dryness, over extensive aggressive preening, plucking and chewing feathers. It should be a staple in everyone's home that has a parrot in it. It's very inexpensive. It may be a different price in your country but it's still not expensive. Here in the US, it costs about $4 to $6 for a 14 oz bottle. That bottle should last about 1 year.

Directions-----a small amount is put on the wound and slightly rubbed around to cover the entire wound and walk away and the ointment will work. Repeat 1, 2, 3x a day depending on the size of the wound but from your pictures, 1 or 2x a day is enough. Repeat for a few days. A big difference should begin. The bird will sop scratching at it and healing can begin. If your bird swallows any of it, not to worry because it's not toxic at all but the location of your bird's wound will more than likely make it very difficult for him to pick at it.

DSCN0113-1.jpg

Thank you for the advice Birdhouse & Dave. Ill surely tell her to stop the betadine. I agree with you it is harsh and probably will dry the skin. Ive also recommended she uses aloe vera. The plant is widely available in Lebanon and i suggested she rubs some of its Gel on the skin. She showered her baby today.

I dont think its over preening because its the top of the head where the bird cant reach to preen. Her bird is almost 2 years old. Ive noticed from the photos there are a couple of black spots indicating new feather pins.

In your opinion could this be a normal molt?

She says the bird is losing few more feathers everyday. She showered him today.

Anyway for now she will keep the soothing Aloe vera and hoping to see some improvement.

I will keep you posted on her behalf with pix and updates.

Thank you again

thanks Rana dear for ur care as well as to u dave007 and birdhouse, i used betadine initially cause i didnt know what was the scratch from, and it was only for two days u can c it shows on the pictures. i found "thx to u Rana" a source to a fresh aloe vera tomorrow im getting some we'll apply and hope for the best. also guys when i showered Coucou she felt better and lost less feathers today.(only 2 vs 5/6) so maybe with the soothing effect of the aloe she will get better.

again thanx everyone.

• Haha 1

Betadine is awesome! For preventing an infection with humans. The medical team LOVES it! BUT... it dries out birds skin and makes them itch more. No infection apparent, but an irritated area. Your doctor friend did an excellent job in making sure no infection was going to happen!As others said, alovera. Also showers and humidifyer if bird won't shower yet... Watch the behavior closely... I was always lucky to have Sophie under 24 hour watch when her " over preening happened." To me... it looks like an itchy bird Nancy

Thank you all for your great advice. Now Dr Emy is a member of our forum and she is following this post and replying on her own. As she told me some new feather pins have started to appear so lets wait and see.

Post some pix Emy when you can :)