NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

My Grey is acting strange

Hey everyone!

I am new to the forum, and very happy to find a nice forum for African Grey owners and lovers.

My Grey, Boncuk, have been acting strange past two days, staying down like that (on the two photos I've posted) for a bit once in a while. She is more affectionate, and runs to me when she sees me, to have me pet her head.

I thought she was laying eggs (never did since we got her, in 10 years) but since that hasn't happened I thought she might be sick or needs some help.

Do you have any idea whats wrong with her?

10966982_789092777836607_1585405077_n.jpg

961634_789092821169936_1958429952_n.jpg

Hey everyone!

I am new to the forum, and very happy to find a nice forum for African Grey owners and lovers.

My Grey, Boncuk, have been acting strange past two days, staying down like that (on the two photos I've posted) for a bit once in a while. She is more affectionate, and runs to me when she sees me, to have me pet her head.

I thought she was laying eggs (never did since we got her, in 10 years) but since that hasn't happened I thought she might be sick or needs some help.

Do you have any idea whats wrong with her?

attachment.php?attachmentid=25947&stc=1attachment.php?attachmentid=25948&stc=1

Hi

To me there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with your bird especially when you say she goes right back up to interact with you. Greys, especially females go through phases as they get older and more mature. . It's nature's way of telling her to get into mating mode. That's where the nesting on the bottom comes from. Normally there's nothing to worry about as long as you don't make a big deal about it. She will stop after a certain amount of time passes. Certain surroundings can also stimulate that reaction----example, all that newspaper on the bottom. It's an easy material that can be eventually ripped up in order to make a nesting area. A male isn't needed to stimulate this what the female is doing. There are even females that do that and will actually lay an egg. So as long as everything else is normal, I wouldn't worry about it unless she really seems sick on a constant basis. Usually this habit can last as much as 10/12 days. Maybe a little more, maybe a little less. I would say to get rid of that newspaper and put in a different bedding.

If you have an aquarium with pairs of different fish in it, you'll see those fish doing the same thing although none of the babies will ever grow up because all of the other community fish will eat the fry.

The pictures of your grey look exactly like a grey that's protecting eggs or getting ready to protect eggs that aren't even there yet.

Edited by Dave007