NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Does this CAG look unusually dark to you?

BlackOpal

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've been doing some reading on the different subspecies of Congo Greys and apparently there are 3 types of Congos: Cameroon, Congo and Ghana. Cameroons are the largest in size and lightest in color, the Congo is a bit darker and smaller, and the Ghana is the darkest and smallest of the three. All three subspecies are generelized as Congos. In this case I think Chicken is a Ghana Grey. I would say he's a bit bigger than and as dark as a Timneh.

Good news, I'm going to put a deposit on him soon! As soon as he comes home I will see if I can get a better picture.

This is what I found:

It's the same species.... people are just putting names on them such as "King" or "Cameroon" or "Ghana" usually so that they can get more money for the birds... like humans, the color and size of birds can vary within a species... such as how you can have a human family who have varying shades of brown and/or blonde hair and varying height, so goes the same for parrots!

Some of these "king/cameroon/ghana" greys are scams.... otherwise though it's usually just some person trying to make an extra buck off of a bird.... and if you find a breeder who is selling one of these "birds" then walk away and find someone else!

Yep - when all else fails, resort to science

Psittacus erithacus erithacus - Congo African Grey

Psittacus erithacus timneh - Timneh African Grey

Show me the scientific names for any of the other 'subspecies' and I'll believe it. Otherwise, more horseshit for the pile.

There's also a lot of crap out there about the lifespan of these birds. There is a study done at the Univeristy of Michigan that sorts all the bull on that one too.

BlackOpal, as mentioned above I wouldn't condone buying an African Grey that has been stolen from it's family in the wild. You have a totally different situation whereas you have no breeders anywhere to buy from. I'm pretty sure after reading the above posts you would opt for a breeder if you could.

You are willing to give this special parrot a loving and better home than possibly living it's life out in the pet store or someone's home that might not take care of it and abuse it. So I wish you the best when you receive your new life long friend.

I can say from the pic the African Grey is probably at least a year old by looking at the eye. As for the darker feathers could it be possible the shop sprayed the parrot with some spray water before you got their? When I spray my Congo his back and wing feathers will look darker for at least an hour. His feathers won't feel wet. If the parrot wasn't sprayed I wouldn't worry about the color. The parrot will molt and adult feathers come in and could change lighter,darker or stay the same.

Thank you. I have recently had the extreme displeasure of finding out about the massacring of African Greys in the wild for luxury purposes. It was a video on youtube, I didn't watch it nor do I want to, but if they really kill these majestic creatures for fun, I think stealing them from the wild is not the worst thing that could happen to them. By no means do I condone it, but if it helps some of them not get killed instead, that's a good thing in my book. I hope ya'll can at least agree with that.

Anyone that hurts/kills an innocent, defenseless creature that is highly intelligent with cognitive skills is... a monster. They should not be considered a human being.

I wouldn't worry about replacing the cage. What you have is exactly the sort of cage many of us have. I do have one worry. The bells on the yellow toy at the end of the length of plastic chain would be easy for an African Grey to open up and get the loose bits out of the inside of them. It would be fine for a smaller bird. I'd take it down and get a big stainless steel bell that he/she can safely beat the stuffing out of without any risk.

Thank you so much for the warning!!! As a first time Grey owner I need guys like you in my life!! Potential disaster averted thanks to you!

I have a question... I also got a plastic abacus, thinking he might enjoy playing with the beads and rearranging them and such... But when I got home I thought what if it could be dangerous? Do they tend to swallow small parts like babies do? Lol silly question but better safe than sorry.

My understanding is that the bell concern is about her beak getting wedged in those sharp slots. Also with other bells that are not stainless they often dismantle the small inner ringer and since they love to roll small objects around in their mouth you want to be careful of what the bell is made of. Metals can be toxic. Best to stay with the stainless steel. About swallowing small parts, I did ask my bird vet when I first got Dayo as it occurred to me as well and she was reluctant to say it wouldn't happen but my take is that they are not likely to swallow small objects as small children do. Dayo loves to play with beads and she also had an abacus toy that she likes to move things around on. They are so talented with their beaks and tongue they roll things around in there for hours. Often Dayo will pick up two parts and try and put one inside of the other all with just her beak and tongue.

That's good to hear that they don't swallow small parts. I have so many more questions but perhaps I will write them all down and post them in a new thread...

I see from your avatar that you have a dog and cat too. How do they all get along with your Grey? I have a small dog (papillon), two cats and a free range tortoise. Our furry kids are great and love and accept other animals, but I'm worried about the safety of Shelly, our Mediterranean tortoise. She is small and I'm concerned that our Grey will try to hurt her? Do Greys prey on tortoises in the wild?? If it's going to be an issue I will have to put Shelly in the big balcony and let her stay there from now on... That would be a shame though, she loves exploring the house.

Don't think the tortoise is going to be any issue. Cats are your biggest risk next to dogs as Greys will sometimes see them as competition and will go after them (as ours does). Supposedly getting bit by a cat and exposed to their saliva is dangerous however I have yet to confirm that with an actual case but who wants to risk it. Dog bite is self explanatory - not good.

I would police (keep an eye on everyone) until they learn to interact with each other and you learn how they will interact with each other and keep a close eye on the tortoise until you know how Chicken will behave since the tortoise can't move very fast. I often have to protect the dog and cat from Miss Dayo even though they will run off before she gets close I don't think they should be bothered if they are napping or even resting. I used to keep a closer eye on everyone but now I know how everyone acts so it's less of an issue.

I have four house cats. There aren't any real problems, except that Timber tries to harass them. I have to say that you need to be constantly vigilant. Accidents happen so quickly. When my cats and Timber are in proximity to each other I watch them very closely, even after 3 years.

Thanks for the heads up! I know my cats won't bother Chicken, they have been around ducklings and baby sparrows before, but if Greys aren't good with cats that's a whole different story. I'll have to keep an eye on them!

Here's Heidi with our foster duckling from a couple years ago :)

aXPoH.jpg

• 1 month later...
You're absolutely right. The past is the past. The bird can't go back into the wild. You're going to provide a wonderful situation for the bird. I can see that you're thinking ahead. Yes, taking wild birds in and selling them doesn't make people happy but different countries do different things. Right now, the bird is going to a good life. Right now, as a new grey owner, you won't make a difference by buying or not buying the bird. Getting this grey, wild or domestic, is going to make you very happy and the bird will also be happy. It's up to the very experienced bird organizations to end the taking of birds from the wild. Different countries have started this process. More countries will also adopt that method. Right now, get that bird before someone else gets it. The bird is waiting for you. The bird is waiting to be loved.

This is a very important issue so I wish to revisit and address some of my concerns... I am fully aware that I may banned for this but - so it goes.

1. "Right now, the bird is going to a good life"

"Good" is subjective to the living being under discussion - in this case a parrot. So this person suggests that a lonely life in a cage in some person's home is a "good" life for a bird that is used to living in large social groups and flying big distances in the company of family and friends to forage for food, find a mate and build a family? Wow that's a weird perspective. So is this person saying that they would be happy locked up in a small room forever without other humans and being fed strange food?

2. "Right now, as a new grey owner, you won't make a difference by buying or not buying the bird"

This is not true. Every little bit helps and by not buying the bird, explaining why not to the pet shop owner and other potential pet owners - you are achieving something. AND by buying the bird you are also making a difference - you are putting money into the hands of traders in wild birds - you are part of the problem.

3. "Getting this grey, wild or domestic, is going to make you very happy and the bird will also be happy."

This is the crux of it - getting a pet makes the buyer happy. And that's what its all about, making humans happy, regardless of the true cost. Getting a pert parrot does NOT make the parrot "happy" - see above

4. "It's up to the very experienced bird organizations to end the taking of birds from the wild.”

Classic avoidance. Outsourcing responsibility to a greater entity out there somewhere is classic of someone who just doesn't really care. Its easy to do that.

Very revealing words spoken by someone who is rolling out excuses to avoid accountability - and who is part of the problem. Its an uncomfortable and inconvenient truth for the moderator and for many wild species owners that their actions support and actively promote the trade in wild species.

best to all,

-Mary

Edited by bluedawg

Once they are taken from the wild a reintroduction is difficult due to not knowing where they were taken and possible exposure to disease from the time in a crowded captive situation. We do not live in an ideal world and we all contribute one way or another to both the good and the bad knowingly or unknowingly with every choice we make. We can choose as best as our information allows trying for a balance and if changes are to happen it is up to each of us to make a difference. For this bird perhaps going into a home where he/she is wanted and the person is trying to do the best by the bird it may be the best outcome for this individual bird in these circumstances rather than the outcome for the many. Just my 2cents worth.

Edited by Greywings
  • Haha 1

This is a very important issue so I wish to revisit and address some of my concerns... I am fully aware that I may banned for this but - so it goes.

1. "Right now, the bird is going to a good life"

"Good" is subjective to the living being under discussion - in this case a parrot. So this person suggests that a lonely life in a cage in some person's home is a "good" life for a bird that is used to living in large social groups and flying big distances in the company of family and friends to forage for food, find a mate and build a family? Wow that's a weird perspective. So is this person saying that they would be happy locked up in a small room forever without other humans and being fed strange food?

2. "Right now, as a new grey owner, you won't make a difference by buying or not buying the bird"

This is not true. Every little bit helps and by not buying the bird, explaining why not to the pet shop owner and other potential pet owners - you are achieving something. AND by buying the bird you are also making a difference - you are putting money into the hands of traders in wild birds - you are part of the problem.

3. "Getting this grey, wild or domestic, is going to make you very happy and the bird will also be happy."

This is the crux of it - getting a pet makes the buyer happy. And that's what its all about, making humans happy, regardless of the true cost. Getting a pert parrot does NOT make the parrot "happy" - see above

4. "It's up to the very experienced bird organizations to end the taking of birds from the wild.”

Classic avoidance. Outsourcing responsibility to a greater entity out there somewhere is classic of someone who just doesn't really care. Its easy to do that.

Very revealing words spoken by someone who is rolling out excuses to avoid accountability - and who is part of the problem. Its an uncomfortable and inconvenient truth for the moderator and for many wild species owners that their actions support and actively promote the trade in wild species.

best to all,

-Mary

'

Don't know why you would suggest I would ban you for speaking your mind regarding this thread....I quite frankly find that insulting to my integrity. That being said, This seems to be a case of damned if you do, damned if you don't. Buy purchasing this bird, yes, you are in a sense contributing to bird trafficking..but the damage to the bird is already done..it's in a cage in a pet store...that won't be undone...so the other options? Let someone who may possibly mistreat this bird purchase it, or purchase it yourself knowing that you will try to make the best out of a bad situation this poor bird is in....I would opt for the latter myself.

This is all water under the bridge, as the person who started this thread has already put a deposit on the bird, and is doing everything humanely possible to give this grey a wonderful life under the circumstances. So may we please go back on topic and offer the advice that is requested.

You have spoken your opinion about my moderator....enough said....I do know you have a problem with his way and or opinions...but I am requesting you stop with the innuendo's meant for him. Chose to disagree and contribute please.

'

Don't know why you would suggest I would ban you for speaking your mind regarding this thread....I quite frankly find that insulting to my integrity. That being said, This seems to be a case of damned if you do, damned if you don't. Buy purchasing this bird, yes, you are in a sense contributing to bird trafficking..but the damage to the bird is already done..it's in a cage in a pet store...that won't be undone...so the other options? Let someone who may possibly mistreat this bird purchase it, or purchase it yourself knowing that you will try to make the best out of a bad situation this poor bird is in....I would opt for the latter myself.

This is all water under the bridge, as the person who started this thread has already put a deposit on the bird, and is doing everything humanely possible to give this grey a wonderful life under the circumstances. So may we please go back on topic and offer the advice that is requested.

You have spoken your opinion about my moderator....enough said....I do know you have a problem with his way and or opinions...but I am requesting you stop with the innuendo's meant for him. Chose to disagree and contribute please.

I know it's hard to hear, but it's not a personal attack. I am speaking my mind about the above topic and addressing specific comments as, with regards to this topic, I think it's important that people not follow this advice given not just in this case but in the future. My voice needs to be heard as well. It seams this forum highly discourages dissent. I can't just say what you want to hear.

Edited by bluedawg

I know it's hard to hear, but it's not a personal attack. I am speaking my mind about the above topic and addressing specific comments as I think it's important that people not follow this advice given not just in this case but in the future. My voice needs to be heard as well. It seams this forum highly discourages dissent. I can't just say what you want to hear.

I don't see anywhere in my post that you must post what I want to hear.... Quote: I think it's important that people not follow this advice given not just in this case but in the future.

You can not decide to MAKE others not follow someone elses advice just because you don't agree. We all have our own minds and will make our own decisions as to what we chose to believe, follow or not follow. But I see your opinion, you voiced it, and now we can get back on topic in HELPING this original poster. IF you have an issue with me..please switch over to pm or I will lock this thread until it gets back on topic.

Edited by Talon