NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Hi from myself and Ruby

Hi all. My name is joe and my TAG is called ruby. She is 16 months old. When I got her she has a partly plucked belly as I believe the last owners didn't look after her correctly. We have had her roughly since October 2014. Mainly a whistler/sound bird but does say Hello and does try to speak a few different sentences But is very muffled and difficult to make out. I plan to make her am aviary very soon and plan to get her some friends to chill with in the garden.

20150130_084430.jpg

Hi Joe and Rudy. Great picture of Rudy and the Little sweethearts. My Ana Grey is a TAG who is 6 years old. TAGs are wonderful companion fids. Looking forward to hearing more about your aviary as I have one my son built for me and cannot wait for the weather to warm up so my fids can resume their outings. I had it built outside the birdroom window and my flighted friends can come and go as they please when the weather is right.

Edited by luvparrots

Hi all. My name is joe and my TAG is called ruby. She is 16 months old. When I got her she has a partly plucked belly as I believe the last owners didn't look after her correctly. We have had her roughly since October 2014. Mainly a whistler/sound bird but does say Hello and does try to speak a few different sentences But is very muffled and difficult to make out. I plan to make her am aviary very soon and plan to get her some friends to chill with in the garden.

Feather mutilation comes in several different patterns. Some birds bite their feathers off at skin level, leaving nothing but broken feather shafts and down feathers. Others actually pull feathers out intact until they're down to bare skin.

There are numerous reasons parrots pluck or bite their feathers. The first consideration should always be physiological. While many parrots pluck due to environmental or behavioral problems, a trip to a good avian veterinarian to rule out health problems is a must. If a veterinarian has seen the bird and determined it is healthy, the next step is to look toward environmental or behavioral causes for the feather plucking or biting.

Moving a bird to another location in the house can cause feather plucking. An outgoing, interactive bird resides in an area where it receives a lot of attention from people walking past its cage and is then moves to a quieter place, where it seldom interacts with its people may start plucking to get more attention. The reverse is also possible. A timid, shy parrot, who suddenly finds itself moved to a high traffic area of the house might start plucking out of nervousness. While we have to situations where moving the bird causes feather mutilation, the reasons for plucking are not the same. The outgoing, gregarious bird plucks for increased attention, while the timid parrot plucks because it is nervous about the increased activity around it. However, the cure is the same - move the parrot back to the area it was happy residing in.

Lack of sufficient moisture is another environmental cause of feather mutilation. Life in Africa is not a dry life. I've heard reports of rainfall up to 100 inches per year in areas inhabited by African Greys. When greys are subjected to inadequate moisture, especially during winter months when heaters dry the air, they often develop itch, dry skin and start picking at it. Before long feathers are being pulled out and a habit forms. A good idea is spray with a mister or shower at least twice a week.

Parrots should have plenty of toys for mental stimulation in their cages while their owners are away. Keep those toys that you know your Grey likes in abundance in its cages. Good toys that keep a bird's mind off plucking are anything made out of wood, small cardboard chewable toys. Also have a heavy duty hanging bell in the cage so your bird can have serious fights with the bell. It's good because a grey is releasing pent up energy plus it's having fun. They like to bang at it, scream at it, bite at it.

Also, go to the Health Room section here and read up on plucking----- Chronic Plucking and Acute Plucking

Edited by Dave007